The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hughton presser at 12 according to Mark Douglas.

About Carroll?

he hasn't said.  Seems early for a pre-WH press conference tbf.

Thinking about it, that wouldn't make sense either. The club would just release a two sentence statement on the website if they wanted to comment on it. Maybe he has a real good joke he's been desperate to tell everyone.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

All this talk about Phil Brown and Joe Kinnear is making me a bit uncomfortable.

Thankfully no one has mentioned O'Leary yet.

Bugger!

When I think about, I always imagine Phil Brown, Joe Kinnear, John Gregory, David O'Leary and Howard Wilkinson living together like the Justice League or something.

All this talk about Phil Brown and Joe Kinnear is making me a bit uncomfortable.

Bugger!

When I think about, I always imagine Phil Brown, Joe Kinnear, John Gregory, David O'Leary and Howard Wilkinson living together like the Justice League or something.

Battling to save the footballing world from the evil quartet of Glen Hoddle, Graeme Souness, Dave 'Harry' Bassett and Ron Atkinson?

Joe Kinnear - not coming to a stadium near you soon...

By Mark Douglas on Oct 20, 10 10:51 AM

OF all the crazy theories that have gathered momentum since Newcastle's fortunate 2-2 draw with Wigan, it is the return of Joe Kinnear that is the most eye-catching.

Or worrying, if we're going to completely honest about it. Because the thought of applying JFK's 'clunking fist' to a delicate developing situation at St James' Park just doesn't bear thinking about.

First of all it would mean the removal of Chris Hughton, who has done nothing to deserve such shoddy treatment a year after he returned the club's dignity and Premier League status so seamlessly.

And secondly it would return the club to the 'war footing' that they occupied before Hughton's gentle rebuilding job. Thanks to his trashing of Alan Shearer since leaving the club Kinnear would have no mandate from the supporters and his modus operandi - to create a 'them and us' mentality - is just not required at the moment.

What the club really needs is a dose of reality; a reminder that they are a club in it's first year back in the Premier League.

Generally speaking teams that have successfully preserved their top flight status are those that have fused support and players in their maiden season. Think Stoke, who greeted every opposition side like a maraudering tribe to be repelled in their first campaign, or Wolves and Birmingham last year. Even Blackpool seem to have mastered the art of togetherness this year, and it might just give them a fighting chance of staying up for another crack at it.

Supporters need to stay together as they did, for the most part, when they went two down against Wigan. Ill-thought out insults aside, there was no mass revolt and the players repaid them with an impressive fightback.

With that in mind, the good news for United fans is that the chances of Kinnear coming back are somewhere between slim and none (although that comes with the caveat that slim, as this is Newcastle United, can never be written off).

I actually thought JFK did a competent job at St James' Park, given all the factors working against him at the time. Results improved - although they were slipping badly by the time he left - and he took the heat off the players with his madcap antics.

But his time has passed and the club's power brokers know it.

I fear some of the stories doing the rounds might have been prompted by the piece I did the other week in the Sunday Sun with Mick Harford, where the former Newcastle and Sunderland scrapper confirmed Kinnear still talks of returning to Tyneside.

I'm sure he does but let's get this straight - that was recalling some interesting saloon room talk, not a genuine sales pitch for his mate to get the job.

If Kinnear really wanted to come back he wouldn't have been shy about coming forward but repeated requests through the LMA and various of his friends in football for an interview drew a blank. Those are not the actions of someone desperate to end a pretty comfortable semi-retirement.

Similarly, while Kinnear is on good terms with the board my initial enquiries suggest that this is a non-starter. They needed someone they could trust after Kevin Keegan's departure and Kinnear, grateful for the opportunity, fitted the bill perfectly. But they know that Kinnear is not a long-term solution.

So write that one off. If only I could say the same about the reports that Hughton is under pressure.

While I'm not sure he would have been sacked if Wigan had smuggled three points out of St James' on Saturday there is more than a kernel of truth in the fact that he needs his players to perform for him over the next two Premier League games.

At his press conference at 12pm Hughton will not put his own case over particularly forcefully so what he could really do with now is his supporters among the Toon Army to step forward and make it clear that there is no appetite for a change, and for the board to have a bit of perspective. 16th in the league would be fine come May considering the outlay in the transfer market; and let us not forget that United are still in the Carling Cup too.

To turn to Kinnear would be lunacy. History will probably see him as interesting footnote in that crazy season. He did alright and doesn't deserve to be ridiculed for what he achieved.

But ask the players - the ones that really matter - who was doing most of the hard graft on the training ground at the time and they'll give you one name: Hughton.

Show him some respect and patience and stick with him.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

ee_ryder  Lee Ryder

#nufc Harper could be back in four weeks after seeing consultant Nolan back in squad for West Ham

That reads like Chris Hughton had to seek advice on if Nolan should be back in the squad or not.  :lol:

Bugger!

Battling to save the footballing world from the evil quartet of Glen Hoddle, Graeme Souness, Dave 'Harry' Bassett and Ron Atkinson?

OUT OF MY MIND!

What about Alan Pardew.

Would he be an improvement on Hughton. Hughton will be gone after SAFC if he doesn't bring home a reasonable return over the next two games.

O'Neill would be nice but not a cat in hells ....

Alan fucking Pardew????!!!

What about Alan Pardew.

Would he be an improvement on Hughton. Hughton will be gone after SAFC if he doesn't bring home a reasonable return over the next two games.

O'Neill would be nice but not a cat in hells ....

Alan Pardew !  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The mans an absolute arse clown.

Some journalist on Talksport was saying that Pardew was being lined up to take over from Hughton.  First time I had heard his name mentioned.

I wouldn't want him and cannot imagine him lasting very long here either. 

I really don't understand why anyone is even talking about replacing Hughton at this stage, it's absolute madness.

He's built a dressing room of players that are all pulling together to keep us up. We might not agree with all of his selections, but he's very limited by the pool of players he has to work with.

By all accounts, his signings have been pretty good and addressed some of our weaknesses.

It's criminal to be thinking of changing our manager at this point... do we want to go back to the circus of recent years?

Some journalist on Talksport was saying that Pardew was being lined up to take over from Hughton.  First time I had heard his name mentioned.

I wouldn't want him and cannot imagine him lasting very long here either. 

I'd f***ing hope not. Hughton's doing a decent enough job. Hopefully all the Carroll aggro and the fire will pull the squad together and motivate them to do well for each other

Guest Roger Kint

Do 'we' have any say in this?

Well obviously not, but it would be a short forum if we only talked about things we can control.

The forum is very much split on this subject so how would it affect it? Just saying we cant control it and discussing it wont make it happen.

Well obviously not, but it would be a short forum if we only talked about things we can control.

The forum is very much split on this subject so how would it affect it? Just saying we cant control it and discussing it wont make it happen.

Fair enough, I slightly missed the point of your post. What I meant was that I'm very surprised to see people (on here and in the wider world/press) talking about replacements for Hughton as if it's something that might or should happen.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fair enough, I slightly missed the point of your post. What I meant was that I'm very surprised to see people (on here and in the wider world/press) talking about replacements for Hughton as if it's something that might or should happen.

Its shocking. I've had a right go at Simon Bird and Mark Douglas about this, their little blogs will start a wave through the lazy press until its basically seen as fact that Hughton is under pressure.

Of course Hughton's under pressure - why are people talking as if this is unheard of in the press? It happens to all managers every week man. People are talking about Fergie's replacement. A few weeks ago Mancini and Moyes were on the way out. Hodgson too.

That's football, its all rumour and it's been going on for years. Hughton's the manager of a NUFC side that failed to beat Stoke, Wigan and Blackpool at SJP - were you really expecting a line of journalists queueing outside the training ground with a manager of the month trophy?