The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He called Nicky Butt a 'fabulous player' and said there was nothing wrong with the performance against Derby, the guy speaks utter nonsense and I wouldn't personally consider that honesty.

well hes hardly going to come out and say butt was complete garbage, when the hell does any manager say that about one of his players

He could not say anything about Butt's performance at all.

He can not say bad stuff about Butt publicly. No one wants to buy him right now so he have to say nice things about him until the summer. If he offer him new contract then I would be mad but he didn't do any of that so far.

i get the feeling butts going to retire this season

Guest Heneage

I think Hughton is in the middle ground, he'll set the team up well enough and gets the basic idea of tactics right, it's when plan A doesn't work or the game changes significantly he just seems to not be able to respond, such as the sending off Saturday. When we were crying out for wingers to get at their booked fullbacks, he puts on a striker, its basic thinking.

'We haven't scored, we must need strikers.'  It totally ignores the fact that, we weren't actually creating chances, we were lumping it in the box and it was dropping down to nobody or Wayne Brown was mopping it up. We could to be over the top and exaggerate, have played Torres or Drogba up there, and it would have made little impact, because without a winger supplying good crosses, or a midfield opening space it's useless.

I think Hughton is in the middle ground, he'll set the team up well enough and gets the basic idea of tactics right, it's when plan A doesn't work or the game changes significantly he just seems to not be able to respond, such as the sending off Saturday. When we were crying out for wingers to get at their booked fullbacks, he puts on a striker, its basic thinking.

'We haven't scored, we must need strikers.'  It totally ignores the fact that, we weren't actually creating chances, we were lumping it in the box and it was dropping down to nobody or Wayne Brown was mopping it up. We could to be over the top and exaggerate, have played Torres or Drogba up there, and it would have made little impact, because without a winger supplying good crosses, or a midfield opening space it's useless.

Not at Leicester we weren't, but we create enough chances to have a better goal difference than we currently do. And more points.

On Saturday he got it badly wrong in both team selection and his delay in making changes but for most of this season he's been quite canny in his use of subs so I wouldn't hold that against him too much. I've seen managers who have been far less decisive in making changes here, even surprisingly KK.

SBR was honest and modest as well -- perhaps a bit deluded from time to time, but he was old. Since then, we've had immodest managers (Sam Allardyce), dishonest managers (Joe Fucking Kinnear), deluded managers (Glenn Roeder), and all of them rolled into one (the Scottish twat), and they've all been a bit shit.

I don't think it matters all that much. You can be immodest and deluded only if it's inspirational; dishonest when speaking to the press.

People have really picked up on this deluded thing. It was just a light hearted post fellas.... :smug:

Seems to really only understand plan A. As I've always believed good managers are born not taught.

Guest Brazilianbob

Really depends on who else might be available.

Don't think I'd trust him with a Premier League campaign.

Many on here didn't trust Hughton with CCC campaign yet it is undeniable that we are top of the league and looking well set for promotion.

Although no one is happy with the football so far, what if he is able to do the same in the EPL and get us right up there with the big guns?

I think he has earned his chance.

[i also think he is the sort of bloke who will walk away for the benefit of the club if he cannot get it right in the EPL, but that is just my personal opinion]

Really depends on who else might be available.

Don't think I'd trust him with a Premier League campaign.

Many on here didn't trust Hughton with CCC campaign yet it is undeniable that we are top of the league and looking well set for promotion.

Although no one is happy with the football so far, what if he is able to do the same in the EPL and get us right up there with the big guns?

I think he has earned his chance.

[i also think he is the sort of bloke who will walk away for the benefit of the club if he cannot get it right in the EPL, but that is just my personal opinion]

I think the consensus is that we are top despite him due to the fact we have 3/4 players who are too good for this league.

Completely lost faith after that apalling selection at the weekend. Jury was still out me with hughton until that. The man doesn't have the ability to identify the best 11 for the job

I think it's ridiculous how much Hughton's tactics are being criticised tbh. I laughed at the naivety of it before, but it really does seem like a lot of people think it's as simple as putting (what they think is) the best 11 players on the pitch at the same time all the time. This gives absolutely no consideration to the fact that the manager has far more information about the players to go on than we do. He sees how they perform in training, no doubt trying different formations, he gets fitness reports on them, he should even give consideration to their mental state and what's going on in their personal life. He also has to try and balance playing the best team every week with rotating things to make sure the same players don't wear themselves out over a long season and that fringe players are not frozen out. We've got 5 games in 16 days coming up next, but I guess that won't come into the equation when people convince themselves the 11 players they put in a formation on a message board would have played beautiful flowing football and won every game 4-0.

The fact is Hughton has very limited options to change things in any significant way as the players we have are limited in their ability. We've been very limited in terms of numbers in wide players, and in central midfield they are all much of a muchness except that Nolan has a knack of scoring goals. The players are good enough to get results in this league in the style we've been playing, but no way in the world is it going to be pretty no matter who plays or how they line up, and if we did try to change it there's absolutely no guarantee that "better" football would even maintain the same level of results let alone improve them.

Here's some of my favourites from the crap that comes out:

"He'll never drop Butt" changed immediately to "he'll never drop Smith/Nolan" once he did in fact drop Butt. I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to play in midfield once we drop Butt, Nolan and Smith. Guthrie and Vuckic I suppose, even though Guthrie's been equally poor when played central and hardly anyone's seen anything of Vuckic so he obviously "must be better".

Lovenkrands dad died and because soon after he played one game and scored, that's all gone away and he should be playing week in week out again without a care in the world.

"Why didn't he play <insert recently or even currently injured player>?" which of course would turn into "Why did he play <insert previously injured player> rushing him back too soon?" if any player who's been injured in the last month gets injured again.

"When player X came on he changed the game". Of course this is used not as a compliment of a good substitution that a player was saved to be fresh coming on against a tired defence/midfield, but as a criticism that the player should have played from the start (where he may well have been far less effective pacing himself for a full game and up against a fresh defence).

I swear even if Wenger or Ferguson were manager half of you would be criticising their tactics week in week out.

Completely lost faith after that apalling selection at the weekend. Jury was still out me with hughton until that. The man doesn't have the ability to identify the best 11 for the job

I think it's ridiculous how much Hughton's tactics are being criticised tbh. I laughed at the naivety of it before, but it really does seem like a lot of people think it's as simple as putting (what they think is) the best 11 players on the pitch at the same time all the time. This gives absolutely no consideration to the fact that the manager has far more information about the players to go on than we do. He sees how they perform in training, no doubt trying different formations, he gets fitness reports on them, he should even give consideration to their mental state and what's going on in their personal life. He also has to try and balance playing the best team every week with rotating things to make sure the same players don't wear themselves out over a long season and that fringe players are not frozen out. We've got 5 games in 16 days coming up next, but I guess that won't come into the equation when people convince themselves the 11 players they put in a formation on a message board would have played beautiful flowing football and won every game 4-0.

The fact is Hughton has very limited options to change things in any significant way as the players we have are limited in their ability. We've been very limited in terms of numbers in wide players, and in central midfield they are all much of a muchness except that Nolan has a knack of scoring goals. The players are good enough to get results in this league in the style we've been playing, but no way in the world is it going to be pretty no matter who plays or how they line up, and if we did try to change it there's absolutely no guarantee that "better" football would even maintain the same level of results let alone improve them.

"He'll never drop Butt" changed immediately to "he'll never drop Smith/Nolan" once he did in fact drop Butt. I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to play in midfield once we drop Butt, Nolan and Smith. Guthrie and Vuckic I suppose, even though Guthrie's been equally poor when played central and hardly anyone's seen anything of Vuckic so he obviously "must be better".

Lovenkrands dad died and because soon after he played one game and scored, that's all gone away and he should be playing week in week out again without a care in the world.

"Why didn't he play <insert recently or even currently injured player>?" which of course would turn into "Why did he play <insert previously injured player> rushing him back too soon?" if any player who's been injured in the last month gets injured again.

"When player X came on he changed the game". Of course this is used not as a compliment of a good substitution that a player was saved to be fresh coming on against a tired defence/midfield, but as a criticism that the player should have played from the start (where he may well have been far less effective pacing himself for a full game and up against a fresh defence).

I swear even if Wenger or Ferguson were manager half of you would be criticising their tactics week in week out.

I understand what you are saying but football is a game of opinions, and forums are a place to voice your opinion, so get used to hearing this shit on a football forum.

UV, you've only gone and undermined the whole existence of this forum.

It's one thing to suggest an alternative formation or tactics and put forward an argument for why it would be better, it's quite another to say Hughton is the worst tactician to have ever managed a football team for not implementing your hair brained scheme in every game.

Surprisingly good read that, although I don't agree with it 100% you do raise some decent points.

It's one thing to suggest an alternative formation or tactics and put forward an argument for why it would be better, it's quite another to say Hughton is the worst tactician to have ever managed a football team for not implementing your hair brained scheme in every game.

The main aim of the thread is a credible one ie he isn't good enough for the rigours of the PL. Get of yer high horse. He might know more about the players than we do, but he certainly doesn't exhibit the ability to change or be flexible. Balls pumped down the middle is bollox end of.

Totally agree. But people don't learn.

The main aim of the thread is a credible one ie he isn't good enough for the rigours of the PL. Get of yer high horse. He might know more about the players than we do, but he certainly doesn't exhibit the ability to change or be flexible. Balls pumped down the middle is bollox end of.

Balls pumped down the middle is

1  Newcastle  27  10  4  0  25  6  6  4  3  18  10  27  56

Passing football is

2  Nottm Forest  28  10  1  3  31  12  4  9  1  13  9  23  52

3 West Brom 27 8 2 4 29 15 6 6 1 26 14 26 50

Good attack, no defence is

4  Cardiff  27  6  3  4  22  11  7  3  4  30  19  22  45

Good defence, no attack is

5 Swansea 27 6 6 2 11 8 4 6 3 12 12 3 42

half way through of.

Not sure how you can say he's not flexible when he's played Pancrate at RB and was laughed at for another stupid decision until it turned out he put in a decent performance so that was quickly forgotten. In numerous games he's brought on subs and changed things and has improved the team and won us games.

The donkeys are higher than my horse, and in part that's down to the manager.

I'm happy with the work Hughton has done. The football's been bloody frustrating but it's worked and (i'll say this quietly)... i think we will improve in the last four months, after seeing the new signings.