The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughtinho.

If he gets us up and keeps us up then I want him to get a knighthood.

Sir Chris Hughton... surely he had to wear a suit than.

He should subtly smarten himself up like. He could wear shoes one week, then add smart trousers. Followed by a shirt the next week and finally a tie and jacket.

He'd be in danger of making himself a credible manager!

Guest Howaythetoon

I like the bloke, I think he's done fantastic by us and considering how many managers have failed to take this club into the top-flight over the years he will go down as a hero in my eyes if he takes us up. He's cool, calm and collected and he's conducted himself very well in all aspects of management thus far.

Yes HTT... Good to see you back as well I missed your thoughtful comment. As you said he will go as one of the better manager we got over the years on the history books if we return to the PL on the first time asking.

From the Sunday Observer

" Trust has taken several months to develop, but Newcastle United fans finally appear to be falling for their latest manager. In recent weeks, some have tentatively chorused his name but, for the first time, St James' Park yesterday resounded to loud, repetitive strains of "Only one Chris Hughton"."

Guest icemanblue

Made up for him after having his name sang. He looked really pleased, waved straight after the first 'Hughton, give us a wave' too.

Guest guinness_fiend

crazy

It's just a damn shame he might get us promoted this season though...what a sickener   :undecided:  :weep:

Yes, it's got nothing to do with the players.

crazy unsatisfied bastards

This.  No wonder journos line up to take pot shots at our fans.

This.  No wonder journos line up to take pot shots at our fans.

The same was said while Souness was here, the same was said when Roeder was here and the same was said when Allardyce was here.

Just give him some fucking credit. The same people who slag off the majority of the squad slag off hughton. If everyone is as bad as they seem to think something must be very wrong for us to be top of the league.

Start of the season no-one would have put much between us and the smogs and I bet most would have been very happy to swap Hughton for the "proper" manager strachan although not many would admit that now.

I have always said hughton is NOT a manager, he makes mistakes but we (the fans) have "known more" than every manager for as far back as I can remember, I distinctly remember sir Bobby often getting a slagging for not bringing subs on early enough (one of the main criticisms of hughton).

He is here and will be for a while yet, I do not think he is good enough for the Prem and hope a miracle happens and he is replaced in the summer but he is doing a very decent job at the moment and some of the stick he gets now is cringworthy.

Lets just support the fucking bloke huh? It's all a lot fucking easier managing from behind the pc but other teams (namely boro) have proved that football isn't as black and white as we sometimes think it is!

*fully expect a bit of abuse from all the undiscovered Alex Fergusons on the forum*

Just give him some fucking credit. The same people who slag off the majority of the squad slag off hughton. If everyone is as bad as they seem to think something must be very wrong for us to be top of the league.

Start of the season no-one would have put much between us and the smogs and I bet most would have been very happy to swap Hughton for the "proper" manager strachan although not many would admit that now.

I have always said hughton is NOT a manager, he makes mistakes but we (the fans) have "known more" than every manager for as far back as I can remember, I distinctly remember sir Bobby often getting a slagging for not bringing subs on early enough (one of the main criticisms of hughton).

He is here and will be for a while yet, I do not think he is good enough for the Prem and hope a miracle happens and he is replaced in the summer but he is doing a very decent job at the moment and some of the stick he gets now is cringworthy.

Lets just support the fucking bloke huh? It's all a lot fucking easier managing from behind the pc but other teams (namely boro) have proved that football isn't as black and white as we sometimes think it is!

*fully expect a bit of abuse from all the undiscovered Alex Fergusons on the forum*

Good points raised there. For the record I also don't think he's going to cut it at the top level. I doubt he'll be ruthless enough to cull players like Nolan from the squad next season but he can't be judged on something that hasn't happened yet. He's done well this season, and considering there are probably lots of managers in this division with bigger reputations not doing so well, he deserves some credit without a doubt.

We've scored 12 goals in our last 3 home games and 1 goal in our last 3 games on the road.

This, like it or not is partly down to Hughton.

and not at all down to the players ?

why not widen the post to say, the 3 home games before that ?

We've scored 12 goals in our last 3 home games and 1 goal in our last 3 games on the road.

Why not widen it over the season for accuracy sake? Which players are you referring to?

Why not widen it over the season for accuracy sake? Which players are you referring to?

all the central midfielders.

Guest guinness_fiend

Because statistics can say what you want them to say, if you pick the right parameters.

Which brings me to this - on the back of our season thus far and purely based on points, Hughton is the best game-for-game manager in the league.  Just thought I'd point that out.

Because statistics can say what you want them to say, if you pick the right parameters.

Which brings me to this - on the back of our season thus far and purely based on points, Hughton is the best game-for-game manager in the league.  Just thought I'd point that out.

and nolan,on goals scored is our best player ?

Guest guinness_fiend

No, he is our most prolific scorer.  Pick the right parameters and et voila! ;)

(I'm playing devil's advocate by the way - this Hughton bashing makes me cringe)

No, he is our most prolific scorer.  Pick the right parameters and et voila! ;)

(I'm playing devil's advocate by the way - this Hughton bashing makes me cringe)

damn...so was I.