The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Come on, let's be honest. Is there a single shred of evidence of any sort that makes you think Hughton will fail in the Premiership other than the fact that he's Chris Hughton?

His performance in the premiership last season.

Come on, let's be honest. Is there a single shred of evidence of any sort that makes you think Hughton will fail in the Premiership other than the fact that he's Chris Hughton?

His performance in the premiership last season.

Are a few matches lost as caretaker in an untenable situation with demoralized players sufficient to deem him unsuitable for Premiership management for all eternity?

Nobody can tell how Hughton can do in the top flight until we actually get there, hes learned and changed a lot since he was interim manager last season. I am determined he has more than enough capability to keep us up.

Guest sicko2ndbest

When was the last time he made a howler, tactics wise?

I think his tactics have improved along with his stature

Guest Brummiemag

I think Hughton deserves a lot of credit for job he has done so far under the circumstances. It may end in tears next season but I think he deserves a chance. You cannot really get rid of a Manager who has got you promoted.

My main concern with Hughton is the cautious, negative, defensive tactics away from home. Most of the away games I've been to this season have been dreadful. When we take the lead we sit back and invite trouble. Its like we need to go behind before we start playing. Time for more attacking, positive and adventurous football away from home please Chris.       

Guest Hellhammer

I admire a lot of the sentiment, but there are a huge number of flaws in the logic. I agree Hughton has done a fantastic job thus far, I still don't think he won't be good enough as a top flight boss. I certainly hope I'm wrong though, not least because he seems a cracking bloke, but mainly because he's 100% guaranteed to have the job once he's taken us up.

The logic is mental. Keegan walked out in a strop...why did the 39 ahead of Kinnear not want the job then? Because Ashley's an utter c*** to work for and no-one worth their salt would have worked for him at that time. I think Hughes would be a superb appointment based mainly on his work for Blackburn but it's all a pipe dream as he won't be appointed.

Don't get me wrong, if Hughton did the job for us that Moyes has done for Everton I'd probably walk around with a constant erection for the next 3 years, I'm desperate for him to do well but I don't think he's got the ability - it's the same with a fair few of the playing staff and in every case I hope I'm wrong and they turn out brilliant next season. I just think it's unrealistic to expect everyone who's done a good job in this league to do well in the PL next season (touch wood..) and that includes the manager.

Great post!

I am definitely in the "he has done an excellent job this season so stop fucking whinging, stop trying to find things to pick holes in, stop trying to claim EVERYTHING but Hughton (squad too good, league is far shitter than expected, he has got lucky and it will run out soon etc...) is responsible for our success this season and just admit he has done a bloody good job!!!!  :angry:....................... however not sure about next season like, would feel better with someone more proven (easier said than done) as it is massively important to get it right....." camp.

So basically against all sides :lol:

other than hughes and a few foreign coaches, anyone stand out? mowbray, curbishley? martin jol, avram grant, van de gaal,  i'd happily take, anyone else that is realistic would be as much a gamble as hughton.

Hughton has built a club and not just a team, and in doing so he has shown that he is the man to lead us into Premiership battle. He has the respect of all the staff and he has everyone fighting in the same direction. Replacing Hughton would be like ripping the hands off a clock and still try to tell the time the next day.

other than hughes and a few foreign coaches, anyone stand out? mowbray, curbishley? martin jol, avram grant, van de gaal,  i'd happily take, anyone else that is realistic would be as much a gamble as hughton.

Oh yes, Mowbray who has just murdered Celtic, Curbishley who is l;argely responsible for putting WHU where they are now and Grant who looks like his face has been shagged by a double decker bus. Great choices. Not forgetting Hughes, Van Gaal and Jol who are either unobtainable or would want millions to spend, which we havent got yet. Great choices mate. Stick with what we have and have faith in the bloke.

Guest neesy111

when he played leon best v bristol and then kept him on for the 90

Oh yes, Mowbray who has just murdered Celtic, Curbishley who is l;argely responsible for putting WHU where they are now and Grant who looks like his face has been shagged by a double decker bus. Great choices. Not forgetting Hughes, Van Gaal and Jol who are either unobtainable or would want millions to spend, which we havent got yet. Great choices mate. Stick with what we have and have faith in the bloke.

Heh? :dowie:

Prove to me that Best has no potential and that argument becomes valid. Carroll looked worse or at least as bad as him in a few games earlier this season.

The second half tactics seemed to work in the Bristol match.

Guest neesy111

Prove to me that Best has no potential and that argument becomes valid. Carroll looked worse or at least as bad as him in a few games earlier this season.

The second half tactics seemed to work in the Bristol match.

best hasn't scored a goal since november ffs, that for a striker is just criminal

Guest koenji

Hughton deseves a chance and he has the respect and he has backing of the players who want to play for him. More chopping and changing (as we have been so acustomed to) before the start of next season is not going to help and I don`t think booting Hughton out will go down well with the players.

I can't believe so many seem to think that Hughton's job ends at picking the best eleven to play.  It's his fault that we aren't always playing cohesively (although to be fair, we've improved significantly since his signed Routledge etc.).  You can say the players aren't suited to play fancy football, or we don't have big enough squad, or we have unfit players like Nolan but its Hughton's job to address these problems.  I've said it before but the manager is massive in football, a good manager can get crap players (individually) playing well by fitting them into a tactically sound team, hence Roy Hodgson's success and the fact that Bobby managed to create a Champions League standard team with Titus Bramble , Andy O'Brien and Andy Griffin in defence.  :cheesy:

I still don't rate him as a manager although he deserves credit for some things.  I don't have a vendetta against him either, I actually want to to succeed.  I try to convince myself during the week by looking at our stats that he's a good manager then come Saturday (like Bristol City) and I lose all hope again.

my problem is the vast difference in home and away performances

He doesnt set the team up to score shitloads of goals away, like most other teams and as far as I can recall, dont we have the best away record in the division or second best?

my problem is the vast difference in home and away performances

He doesnt set the team up to score shitloads of goals away, like most other teams and as far as I can recall, dont we have the best away record in the division or second best?

Exactly. When he decided to field an attacking side against Darby we lost 3-0. I'd rather play shit away and win/draw than play pretty and lose.

i think u misunderstood me. thats my point. i'm saying mowbray and curbs are the quality thats available and would be no guarantee of doing any better than hughton. the likes of hughes van gaal and hughes are a step up but probably out of our reach.

so if we cant get a great proven manager - then stick with hughton rather than take a punt on some joe average.

i think u misunderstood me. thats my point. i'm saying mowbray and curbs are the quality thats available and would be no guarantee of doing any better than hughton. the likes of hughes van gaal and hughes are a step up but probably out of our reach.

so if we cant get a great proven manager - then stick with hughton rather than take a punt on some joe average.

No worries, mate, my apologies