The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is really pissing me off that people are still slagging Hughton off. Look at the Boro man! They have a "proper" manager and aren't even in the playoffs, and don't give me any bollocks about Strachan not having the full season, it's neigh as dammit! Hughton has taken Newcastle team which could have imploded and ended up like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday or Nottingham Forest and made them into a team which have bonded and played for each other (ignoring the Taylor Carroll incident).

:clap:

He's earned his chance as far as I'm concerned.

As for this Roy Hodson nonsense, Fulham have spent a season in Europe defeating the likes of Juve, we've been slumming it in the championship. He would not come to us even if we asked very very very nicely; they're frankly a club in a much better place than us at the moment.

Lets consolidate, move on, and see where Hughton takes us. I don't mind finishing in the bottom half for a season or two provided we're building the foundations -- lets be honest here, even Bobby took some time to put his stamp on the team.

What you wouldn't want Hodgson as manager? I'm being serious there!!

Why would Hodgson want to leave his current job?

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, Im sure of that!

As things stand, Fulham are a bigger club than us. He wouldn't leave for anyone, let alone Newcastle.

Wrong - as things stand, Fulham are CURRENTLY a more successful club ; they haven't won as many trophies, haven't got anything LIKE the stadium of fanbase, haven't been in European football as often...this is a worse statement than if someone had tried to claim that NUFC were a bigger club than Liverpool back in 1993 simply because we had a better team spirit at the time.

Fulham will NEVER be a bigger club than Newcastle United - just as we will never be a bigger club than Man U.

The issue about Hodgson is really nothing to do with the relative size of the clubs - he is not a young man and is unlikely to want to have the task of taking over a club like NUFC, although I very much doubt he will be given the chance.

Surely at least we can all agree that sacking him out of the blue this summer would be absurd and that at least giving him a chance would be the best course of action for the club?

We're all entitled to our own opinions about how likely he is to succeed, none of which can be proved 100% at this point, but I think it's pretty clear that ditching him for a 'proper' manager at this point is a recepie for disaster

Sums up my thoughts far more succinctly than I managed. Agree 100%

I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers for Hughton's services if we let him go and i'd be devastated to see him sacked now, only for him to succeed somewhere else.

We seemed to have unearthed a decent up-and-coming manager and we should hold on to him for next season and beyond as far as i'm concerned.

The players are playing for him and clearly want him to stay so it would do untold damage to moral and club stability if we dumped him out the blue.

It would be a ridiculous decision by Ashley. Therefore, it's nailed on to happen

Hughton wont be going anywhere maybe unless new owners come in, he is the perfect manager for the Ashley regime, sad to say it, but Hughton is still Ashley's puppet, he will do what he asks him to, as simple as that.

Hughton wont be going anywhere maybe unless new owners come in, he is the perfect manager for the Ashley regime, sad to say it, but Hughton is still Ashley's puppet, he will do what he asks him to, as simple as that.

Yeah, like, "Get us promoted with six games to spare."

What you wouldn't want Hodgson as manager? I'm being serious there!!

Why would Hodgson want to leave his current job?

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, Im sure of that!

As things stand, Fulham are a bigger club than us. He wouldn't leave for anyone, let alone Newcastle.

Wrong - as things stand, Fulham are CURRENTLY a more successful club ; they haven't won as many trophies, haven't got anything LIKE the stadium of fanbase, haven't been in European football as often...this is a worse statement than if someone had tried to claim that NUFC were a bigger club than Liverpool back in 1993 simply because we had a better team spirit at the time.

Fulham will NEVER be a bigger club than Newcastle United - just as we will never be a bigger club than Man U.

The issue about Hodgson is really nothing to do with the relative size of the clubs - he is not a young man and is unlikely to want to have the task of taking over a club like NUFC, although I very much doubt he will be given the chance.

Newcastle = Newly promoted side, big expectations, alot of deadwood still remains in the team.

Fulham = Established top half side, playing European football, decent playing side.

That's how a manager sees it. They don't go "ooo that's a big ground'" or "Well they've won more trophies than that team in the last 100 years". Whether Hodgson is 18 or 80, he won't touch 'the poisoned chalice' when he's doing so well at Fulham.

Why else have our last few managers included Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce and Joe Kinnear?

Errr employees are supposed to listen to their employers arent they? :lol:

He’s unproven but deserves his chance to spend £25m quid  :laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/06/mike-ashley-newcastle-chris-hughton

It’s started. I wonder if that’s £25m net or gross.

According to that Hughton will be looking to strengthen in defence and attack (again) come the summer. If Hughton doesn't deal with the lack of drive in central midfield I think it will be costly next season. Nolan for all his goals isn't going to provide it and Guthrie/Barton don't exactly motor either.

Guest thepict

Chriis deserves the opportunity to manage our team in the premiership. What he has achieved this season considering the shambles that the club had become is amazing.

I'm worried Hughton won't have the balls to be ruthless enough when it comes to cutting the fat from the squad.

I think a lot of people are, but since we've signed Routledge, Smith and Butt haven't had too much of a look in when Guthrie and Nolan have been fit, which was a major test for me, and one that he passed by showing the balls to stick them both on the bench.

Hes unproven but deserves his chance to spend £25m quid  :laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/06/mike-ashley-newcastle-chris-hughton

Its started. I wonder if thats £25m net or gross.

The alternative of course is keeping him, not spending a penny, then sacking him on October with a squad not good enough, adrift at the bottom, no manager wanting to come, and no players able to come until January even if they wanted.

The remainder of this season provides an excellent opportunity for Hughton to test his skills of motivation.

It will be very easy for the players to now take their foot off the gas. I hope Hughton can drive them on to win the Championship and maybe even top 100 points.

For me, Saturday will give us a good indication.

I'm worried Hughton won't have the balls to be ruthless enough when it comes to cutting the fat from the squad.

It's not exactly an obese squad. Deal with getting players in. Worry about cutting the flab later.

Guest Phil K

Agree. He's earned his chance.

And when I hear about the "alternatives" like Mark Hughes and bloody McClaren..... :idiot2:

He's only played his captain when desperate, he's dropped his vice captain lately, and hasn't felt the need to persist with Best just to try and prove a point with his own signings. I think those are positives.

Guest Chris P

I can't see how shitting on Hughton would work tbh. Would it not fly in the face of the teamspirit that we now have?

Taking Nolan out of the team would probably do as much damage in that respect, still has to be done.

yeah, cos 15 goals from a midfielder in a season is s****!

Which will mean precisely what in the premiership?

hear man your just a WUM

If Nolan plays regularly next season we will get relegated. Simple as that.

What a stupid statement............

I can't see how shitting on Hughton would work tbh. Would it not fly in the face of the teamspirit that we now have?

Taking Nolan out of the team would probably do as much damage in that respect, still has to be done.

hear man your just a WUM

Grow up.

hear man your just a WUM

You really think he's good enough? He won't score anywhere near 15 goals next year in the PL, so what does he offer? If he plays as a CM we will get overrun and our defense will be under constant pressure. We saw the result of that last year. If we opt for a 4-5-1, at least away, and he plays behind the lone striker then we won't create/score nearly enough. We could (and need to) find a significant upgrade at either position for next season.  

I appreciate what he did this season and I think his attitude, especially early on, went a long way for the club, but he's simply not good enough anymore.