Gerrard suspended by Liverpool?

Ash

I think he's massively overrated and has always benefited from the fact he's the biggest fish of a small pond (when it comes to top clubs). He has a rather limited game. But opinions are like arseholes...

Him and Lampard are excellent British players who have enough about them to outplay all the inferior defenders/midfielders in this division (and early stages of Europe/World Cup qualifiers) with great return in terms of goals and assists. But stick them together in an English midfield against a top team, and they will get completely played off the park.

The reason England haven't done it in recent years is not because of the midfield. It's been a convenient excuse to escape the fact that the journalist's favourite (the cunt) hasn't scored goals in the tournaments when we've needed him to.

The midfield in 2006 were ok imo and the defence were very good, we just had no cutting edge up front.

Guest Stephen927

I would agree, Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the game, not top 5 but top 10. I wouldn't say he has a limited game at all, but maybe my opinion on what a limited game is is different to yours. I would say players like Mokeona, Sissoko and Mascherano have limited games.

Guest Stephen927

I don't know how anyone could say he has a limited game, he does pretty much everything well.

True, he has played all across the midfield for Liverpool and done well, then up front behind Torres he's been very good too.

When I say Gerrard's game is limited is that he is a player that can only finish plays, not create them. He is "just" a goalscoring midfielder, but he doesn't dictate the play of his team unless for that you mean grabbing the ball and lunging forward in mazy runs (at which he is excellent). He always struck me as the kind of player that has incredible ball handling skills and shooting but doesn't see much further than his nose. Lampard and Fàbregas have a larger set of skills and are better examples of a really complete box to box midfielder.

Gerrard's long passing can be fantastic but he plays so high up the pitch these days (and without natural wingers in the team) we don't get to see it very often. I remember that fantastic ball to Owen in the final game of 03-04 against us.

I agree that Lampard and Fabregas are better players though.