Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

We might as well of played with 10 men tonight as Nolan was turboshite.

smith made 1 block, guthrie hit 1 free kick. nolan was just one of a bad bunch.

Thought Guthrie did ok tbh. Never gong to be brilliant as he is not a RW. Nolan was lucky not to get a red at the end n all for his needless hack. I agree about Smith but at least he looks matchfit unlike Nolan.

what is guthrie as i have no reason to believe he is a central midfielder ?

smith is match fir yet all he does is stand 4 yards in front of the centre halves. at least nolan attempts at movement, maybe nolans brain is telling him the right moves but the body can't carry it out succesfully whereas smith just patrols his 12yd square patch in front of the back four.

Thought Guthrie did ok tbh. Never gong to be brilliant as he is not a RW. Nolan was lucky not to get a red at the end n all for his needless hack. I agree about Smith but at least he looks matchfit unlike Nolan.

smith is match fir yet all he does is stand 4 yards in front of the centre halves. at least nolan attempts at movement, maybe nolans brain is telling him the right moves but the body can't carry it out succesfully whereas smith just patrols his 12yd square patch in front of the back four.

That's their assigned jobs clearly, difference is, next to a competent partner Smith would be OK but Nolan would still be absolute wank.

That's their assigned jobs clearly, difference is, next to a competent partner Smith would be OK but Nolan would still be absolute w***.

why would he be ok ? what does he do ?

His positioning is ok most of the time due to the fact he hasn't got much running in him. The fact he's often next to Nolan means he's overrun and hasn't a chance of being effective in that position. Nolan on the other hand would still do the same and have the same effect on the team if he was next to Essien. Nolan is letting the side down badly in general play.

Guest toonlass

His positioning is ok most of the time due to the fact he hasn't got much running in him. The fact he's often next to Nolan means he's overrun and hasn't a chance of being effective in that position. Nolan on the other hand would still do the same and have the same effect on the team if he was next to Essien. Nolan is letting the side down badly in general play.

And yet he is our top goalscorer!

His positioning is ok most of the time due to the fact he hasn't got much running in him. The fact he's often next to Nolan means he's overrun and hasn't a chance of being effective in that position. Nolan on the other hand would still do the same and have the same effect on the team if he was next to Essien. Nolan is letting the side down badly.

his positioning ? 4 yds in front of the centre halvesw at all times ?

i wonder if nolan would look a better player if being our only central midfielder in 60 yds of the pitch wasn't his role ?

Exactly, play him upfront where he doesn't have to do as much running and where he can be much more effective. (He's not a bad player on the ball, just has no stamina or pace to play in midfield)

Exactly, play him upfront where he doesn't have to do as much running and where he can be much more effective. (He's not a bad player on the ball, just has no stamina or pace to play in midfield)

and yet you back static smith ?

His positioning is ok most of the time due to the fact he hasn't got much running in him. The fact he's often next to Nolan means he's overrun and hasn't a chance of being effective in that position. Nolan on the other hand would still do the same and have the same effect on the team if he was next to Essien. Nolan is letting the side down badly.

i wonder if nolan would look a better player if being our only central midfielder in 60 yds of the pitch wasn't his role ?

that's Smith's role though. I'm not saying he's amazing but it's not his job to go chasing up field. Part of the problem is we don't defend from the front which means they get at those two with ease. Nolan just isn't up to playing in midfield in a 442.

that's Smith's role though. I'm not saying he's amazing but it's not his job to go chasing up field. Part of the problem is we don't defend from the front which means they get at those two with ease. Nolan just isn't up to playing in midfield in a 442.

his role, even when we are on the attack is to stay on our centre halves toes ? i don't think thats his role at all but it's what he does and he doesn't even protect them that much.

and the biggest laugh is that you nolan isn't up to playing 4-4-2 whilst defending smith.

his role, even when we are on the attack is to stay on our centre halves toes ? i don't think thats his role at all but it's what he does and he doesn't even protect them that much.

and the biggest laugh is that you nolan isn't up to playing 4-4-2 whilst defending smith.

The bottom line is (imo) that Smith next to say Barton or even Guthrie, we can get away with playing 442 and look fairly solid. If Nolan plays in a 442 we get exposed.

Don't get me wrong, Smith's shit, but we can get away with having him in there, Nolan we can't.

The bottom line is (imo) that Smith next to say Barton or even Guthrie, we can get away with playing 442 and look fairly solid. If Nolan plays in a 442 we get exposed.

Don't get me wrong, Smith's s***, but we can get away with having him in there, Nolan we can't.

based on what, bartons and guthries performances when in the middle ? smith is living on a good solid start to the season (first half dozen games or so) when he even helped forward a bit. since then he's been very poor.

we are a very rigid team. you can shut your eyes and ask where on the pitch the ball is and can tell who has the ball we have that little movement. smith is the worst of it as he is ina position that is supposed to be most fluid yet has the least movement of the entire 11.

How are defensive midfielders supposed to be the most fluid? Enrique goes forward so much that he has to cover him a lot of the time, but then Guthrie drops in field on the other side and it should work well in theory. Trouble is, come 60 mins, Nolan is too tired to keep running into the channels and in behind for Enrique and Jonas (as that where 75% of our attacks come from) and ends up hiding in the middle somewhere, meaning we revert to the longer and longer ball as the game goes on and look less and less of a threat.

Cracking game, we were poor tbh, but being behind twice I'll take it.

Harper 7 - Some cracking saves, very unlucky on the 2nd goal

Simpson 7 - Actually thought he did ok handling Thomas, kept the play in front of him and did ok matching him for pace.

Taylor 8 - Best defender tonight, solid and kept his head.

Enrique 7 - Most of the time, good, his distribution however, was pretty poor tonight.

Guthrie 7 - Extra mark for the cracking free kick, apart from that he was only ok.

Smith 5 - Poor, went missing tonight.

Nolan 5 - Same as Smith, needs to play in behind the front two to be effective for me.

Jonas 6 - Electric pace, nice link up with Enrique as usual but really needs to put in a final ball more often.

Ameobi 5 - Didn't do a lot tonight, no real link up play and wasn't physical enough imo.

Lovenkrands 7 - Was never offside when through on goal, worst decision of the night bar the not given pen late on. Cracking header for the goal though. was really happy for him, one of our biggest threats and is on a run of form, needs to start up top always for me.

Subs

Carroll 5 - Physical, no direction, how he didn't win a penalty when he was just decked by Olsson I'll never know.

R.Taylor  5 - Nothing special apart from the almost winner from the free kick.

Just finished watching the game. Disappointed with the result, but what a moment when Lovenkrands scored after losing his father so recently.  :clap:

Anyone that has a gif of his celebration after the goal? Thought it was really moving

How are defensive midfielders supposed to be the most fluid? Enrique goes forward so much that he has to cover him a lot of the time, but then Guthrie drops in field on the other side and it should work well in theory. Trouble is, come 60 mins, Nolan is too tired to keep running into the channels and in behind for Enrique and Jonas (as that where 75% of our attacks come from) and ends up hiding in the middle somewhere, meaning we revert to the longer and longer ball as the game goes on and look less and less of a threat.

smith drops in to cover enrique.....fuck off. whenever enrique gives the ball away (still too often for my liking) there is sod all behind him....no cover at all.

so called defensive midfielders like batty,keane,bracewell  even acuna all knew there was more to their job than standing on the centre halves toes. the way he plays we may aswell go 5-3-2.

based on what, bartons and guthries performances when in the middle ? smith is living on a good solid start to the season (first half dozen games or so) when he even helped forward a bit. since then he's been very poor.

we are a very rigid team. you can shut your eyes and ask where on the pitch the ball is and can tell who has the ball we have that little movement. smith is the worst of it as he is ina position that is supposed to be most fluid yet has the least movement of the entire 11.

Smith is living on the fact that he is capable of running and doesnt leave all the work to the guy next to him defensively.

Nolan contributes little both defensively or attacking apart from the few minutes of every game where he'd get a goal previously. If he's not scoring, he becomes a hinderance to our general play. Smith doesnt as that is not expected of him in the first place, it is expected of Nolan if he cannot offer much going backwards which he doesnt.

Smith is living on the fact that he is capable of running and doesnt leave all the work to the guy next to him defensively.

Nolan contributes little both defensively or attacking apart from the few minutes of every game where he'd get a goal previously. If he's not scoring, he becomes a hinderance to our general play. Smith doesnt as that is not expected of him in the first place, it is expected of Nolan if he cannot offer much going backwards which he doesnt.

smith may not leave all the work to someone else....he doesn't do it either. nolan gets forward and helps out defensivly. smith is a slightly advanced centre half. i think you may have it the wrong way round. maybe nolan would be better if he could take a breather in trying to do the box to box job that he hasn't the legs for while smith does....................you see, i still dont know.

smith may not leave all the work to someone else....he doesn't do it either. nolan gets forward and helps out defensivly. smith is a slightly advanced centre half. i think you may have it the wrong way round. maybe nolan would be better if he could take a breather in trying to do the box to box job that he hasn't the legs for while smith does....................you see, i still dont know.

Nolans just slower off the ball in general, so i dont see him being able to play a solid part in either going backwards or fowards even if he limited his game to only that.

Nolans just slower off the ball in general, so i dont see him being able to play a solid part in either going backwards or fowards even if he limited his game to only that.

so nolan attempts box to box and does it poorly, what does smith do ? maybe if when we attacked smith pushed up 10-20yds or so he'd be another option to keep possession (even butt knows you can't just be a defensive midfielder for 90mins). of all the players available to us i'd be choosing 2 from guthrie,nolan and barton to play centre mid.

so nolan attempts box to box and does it poorly, what does smith do ? maybe if when we attacked smith pushed up 10-20yds or so he'd be another option to keep possession (even butt knows you can't just be a defensive midfielder for 90mins). of all the players available to us i'd be choosing 2 from guthrie,nolan and barton to play centre mid.

Nolan pushes up into the area during our attacks to be an option, smith stays in the middle of the pitch roughly 5 yards up from the centre circle, the ideal position for a defensive midfielder. During attacks Smith should be the emergency option, always going to be open if everyone else is covered. Granted he passed shite tonight, but during attacks the job of a holding midfielder is to be open and and easy pass.