Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I still have a sneaky feeling Colo will get caught out next season. I really hope I'm wrong as I love the guy, think he cares about the club and has been awesome this season, I just think sometimes when he appears to dwell on the ball or bottles out of 50/50s he'll get shown up far more regularly next season. In fairness, the same will apply for all our defenders, I just think with Colo being 'forrin' it'll get highlighted a lot more in the media and he'll end up losing confidence, being dropped and heading back to Spain. As I say, I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a fucking rock. He, Jose and Jonas are without doubt my 3 favourite players at present.

I wouldn't cream your pants just yet over Coloccini because plenty of poor sides have made very good goalscoring opportunities against us this season, only for poor finishing to come to our rescue. Premiership strikers won't be as wasteful and we could be in for a torrid time at the back again.

The question is; was Coloccini's poor form last year down to him settling in, or is he Championship class at best?

He hasn't looked championship class at any point during the season, he's looked a class above.

Confidence is a wonderful thing.

Let's hope him and the team get off to a good start next season. Some early season batterings will be a real test of his character and he didn't convince me that he had much of that last season.

Guest malandro

He hasn't looked championship class at any point during the season, he's looked a class above.

Confidence is a wonderful thing.

Let's hope him and the team get off to a good start next season. Some early season batterings will be a real test of his character and he didn't convince me that he had much of that last season.

This.

Has the much vaunted team spirit helped us win games we should have lost this season, or did winning lots of games against vastly inferior sides create a good team spirit? The truth probably lies somewhere between the two, but if we lose lots of games next season you can be sure none of the players will be blaming a bad team spirit. Getting a few points in the bag before reality bites could make or break our season.

Williamson has looked very composed, but which sides have really put any pressure on our back four?

I think people are being way too harsh on Taylor here, people tend to forget how solid we were early season and it was only when the Colo/Taylor partnership was broken up that we went through a rough patch.

Williamson to me is a strong, kind of old fashioned centre back, who does the basics really well. But I can't get over the feeling that he is too ponderous both in body and thought to make it at the next level. Taylor despite what others on here say, has proved he can handle life in the PL. For me, he and Colo remain our first choice, with Williamson filling in as and when necessary.

For me it's Williamson and A N Other. I just think he'll make the step up like the Brum lads have. Nothing more than a feeling so can't really try and argue my corner on it, other than to say I think he is the most 'no nonsense' of the lot and I think that's what we will need next year. I also think he's the one that strikers will least look forward to playing, he's big, strong and brave (you could say the same of Taylor, but I think Williamson is more actions less talk, which gets under strikers skin more)

It's funny how some players get better when they're injured, and how some players get worse.

Taylor was no worse than what Williamson has been. The partnership is arguably better but Taylor was having a good season and absolutely pissing the league, just like the rest of our defence - bar Simmo, probs - have.

Yeah... i can only echo previous sentiments though. I haven't seen him play there for ages now, but it's blatantly obvious that Taylor's gonna be the best right-back at the club next season. So disappointed in Simpson. He's barely improved from the start of the season; it really was time for him to step up a gear when Routledge came in. Earlier in the season, you could forgive him for having less defensive cover - but he's not really particularly great at anything. Alright defensively, holds his position well, fairly poor offensively. He's young, but so far, he's just a clogger in the same sort of mould as the likes of Smith or Butt. Not great at anything, poor at quite a few things.

It's not impossible for him to improve but i mean, he doesn't even have a zippy yard of pace to mask over the frailties he has. You'd hope Hughton would be able to give him a kick up the arse over the summer, cos i can't see us shelling out on a full-back.

He might turn out to be a Darren Huckerby style player. Not quite good enough for the Premier League but showing a few moments of class, but superior to those around him in the Championship.

I still have a sneaky feeling Colo will get caught out next season. I really hope I'm wrong as I love the guy, think he cares about the club and has been awesome this season, I just think sometimes when he appears to dwell on the ball or bottles out of 50/50s he'll get shown up far more regularly next season. In fairness, the same will apply for all our defenders, I just think with Colo being 'forrin' it'll get highlighted a lot more in the media and he'll end up losing confidence, being dropped and heading back to Spain. As I say, I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a f***ing rock. He, Jose and Jonas are without doubt my 3 favourite players at present.

Certainly agree. At points, you see him make mistakes that would be punished at a higher level. Fore example last night, he switched off and left Blackstock unmarked for a good chance, if Blackstock hadnt fluffed his lines and they'd gone 1-0, I'm not too sure we would have pulled it back to win.

I wouldn't cream your pants just yet over Coloccini because plenty of poor sides have made very good goalscoring opportunities against us this season, only for poor finishing to come to our rescue. Premiership strikers won't be as wasteful and we could be in for a torrid time at the back again.

The question is; was Coloccini's poor form last year down to him settling in, or is he Championship class at best?

You can't expect any defence not to concede chances over the course of a season even against poor sides, especially when a lot of those sides are effectively playing in FA cup mode.  Fact is though we're on track to have the best defensive record in the last 4 Championship seasons.

Too hard to say at the moment what partnership is best considering how shite the majority of forwards are in the championship. Just remember we are going from the likes of Sharp/Chopra/Earnshaw to Drogba/Torres/Rooney.

Taylor is the better athlete, but Williamson is more comfortable on the ball, is decisive and takes responsibility. He's the better bet. Taylor hasn't developed into the player I thought he could be.

As for Colo, I'm one of the doubters. The biggest difference between the Premiership and the Championship is quality in the final third, and I think he'll get found out again.

Guest Stephen927

Darren Huckerby is an english legend.

:lol: That was brilliant.

:lol: is that video still knocking around?

don`t know if I can post the video but if you go to youtube and type  - "Huckerby on KRON" - you`ll find it :lol:

So legendary, he struggles to remember his name after the break. :lol:

I'll be quite upset if Taylor is put in ahead of him next season, because he is definitely a better centre back.

Sees things very early and is always in good positions. Is very calm and good on the ball. Is an absolute colossus dealing with aerial balls.

Really hope Taylor is moved to right back, where he really looked a much better player anyway.

Didn't Taylor start his career at right back under Sir Bobby?.

Taylor is the better athlete, but Williamson is more comfortable on the ball, is decisive and takes responsibility. He's the better bet. Taylor hasn't developed into the player I thought he could be.

As for Colo, I'm one of the doubters. The biggest difference between the Premiership and the Championship is quality in the final third, and I think he'll get found out again.

The key difference between Taylor and Williamson is strength. Williamson is much stronger and doesn't seem to lose balance and fall over like Taylor tends to. That plus the added height is a huge plus. Williamson just has more presence and authority about him.