Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Guest firetotheworks

Williamson's ability in the air?  ??? I'd say he's our best defender in the air.  Colo best on the deck and Williamson best in the air.  Against Stoke we would probably have been best off playing Campbell and Williamson because they offered nowt on the deck and that's probably our best partnership in terms of aerial ability.

Conversely, I'd be extremely worried if Colo couldn't play against Arsenal for whatever reason. 

Having said that I do see the benefits of keeping the same back four and so I'm happy for Colo and Williamson to stay together all season barring any major run of cock ups by either.

take it you didnt go to everton then.

I take it you didn't? Williamson made one mistake in the entire match.

i did actually, and my point is he didnt win a header.

my original post is being taken out of context, people have chosen to ignore my positive points and focus on the one negative in the post.

I'll have to watch it again, but I don't remember him being out-done in the air at all, nor do I remember Everton really playing that way anyway.

Williamson's ability in the air?  ??? I'd say he's our best defender in the air.  Colo best on the deck and Williamson best in the air.  Against Stoke we would probably have been best off playing Campbell and Williamson because they offered nowt on the deck and that's probably our best partnership in terms of aerial ability.

Conversely, I'd be extremely worried if Colo couldn't play against Arsenal for whatever reason. 

Having said that I do see the benefits of keeping the same back four and so I'm happy for Colo and Williamson to stay together all season barring any major run of cock ups by either.

my original post is being taken out of context, people have chosen to ignore my positive points and focus on the one negative in the post.

I'll have to watch it again, but I don't remember him being out-done in the air at all, nor do I remember Everton really playing that way anyway.

Fellaini beat him in the air a few times but he doesn't have to defend against people who are 6ft 4 1/2 inches tall every week.

Williamson reminds me of Craig Moore. Not a lot of natural athleticism,  dominant strength or genuine ability on the ball, but reads the flight of the ball well and generally wins the ball cleanly in the tackle. 

I take it that must be the only game you've been to in the last 10 months.

did you read my original post or what?

read it again then come back to me.

I've read and understood it the first time.  You picked up on one game in the past ten months when Williamson didn't win a header (which isn't true) and you used it to argue Williamson is a concern aerially.

Other people have already pointed out this is rubbish and I can't be bothered to argue the point further.

why comment then?

i wouldnt bother mate, its not that important, just an observation.

as i say, I like williamson, but would like to see campbell with colo at some point.

Fellaini beat him in the air a few times but he doesn't have to defend against people who are 6ft 4 1/2 inches tall every week.

fair point.

Williamson reminds me of Craig Moore. Not a lot of natural athleticism,  dominant strength or genuine ability on the ball, but reads the flight of the ball well and generally wins the ball cleanly in the tackle. 

he's very good in the tackle, agreed.

Williamson would have to single-handedly cost us a match for me to drop him at this point. Absolute madness that people want Sol to walk into the team. We've spent almost an entire year building a partnership at center-back between Colo and Big Willy, why even attempt to mess that up?

No messing around. That said, if one of them happened to get injured, it would be interesting to see what Campbell did. But no unnecessary messing, central defenders generally live and breathe as a unit.

Fwiw; Williamson is a fair bit taller but Colo is the better header of the ball in terms of power and accuracy.

I like Collocinni in the opposition penalty area as he always looks dangerous - but Williamson should always attack the ball in defensive positions with Colo to do the fancy stuff - whenever possible like

Fwiw; Williamson is a fair bit taller but Colo is the better header of the ball in terms of power and accuracy.

i'll often go for just beating the oppo to the ball in the air  at times, of which both have been more than adequate so far this season.

Beresford in particular was very poor from what I remember, we conceded a massive amount of our goals down his flank.

nowt to do with ginolas defending ? oh and albert was never as good a defender as he was made out.