Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Decent player but 5 and a half years is a long contract. He's looked ok so far and hopefully he'll get better but I'd like to think we'll be upgrading in every position over the next couple of years and doubt whether Williamson will be satisfied with a role of squad player. We'll see.

Decent player but 5 and a half years is a long contract. He's looked ok so far and hopefully he'll get better but I'd like to think we'll be upgrading in every position over the next couple of years and doubt whether Williamson will be satisfied with a role of squad player. We'll see.

If we can recycle Williamson out of the door in 3 seasons I'd be well happy with our squad...I say 3 not 5 as we'd obviously be looking to sell the player and not just give him away, and that's what those 2 extra years should be thought of in this scenario; contract to sell.

this, however i'd like to think he's not on a wage that would prohibitive to other clubs should he drop down the pecking order.

He's done alright for someone tasting Premiership football for the first time (I think). As a backup centreback, would say he's definitely better than others we've brought in in the past (Rozenhal, Cacapa, Onyewu, Craig Moore). If he can iron out the overly blatant holding/grabbing issues, he'll be well worth keeping hold of for at least 5 years assuming reasonable wages.

Seen SSN this morning and thought it was good news, longer term planning finally!!!!

MW is a sensible CB and I'm happy to have the lad on a long term contract and no doubt there will be relegation clauses in.

Seems like the club are trying to tie up the core of the squad for long term.

Fans shopuld only be pleased with this.

• 1 month later...

Fair enough still should be entering his prime.

How old was Woodgate when we signed him...? He was a quality defender long before the age of 27.

If Williamson was top class, he would have been signed up by a top 4 side ages ago - its not as if they are brimming with quality CBs anyway.

Williamson fits the mould for an Ashley-owned NUFC - cheap, reasonable value for money, but nowhere near being a top class defender ; lacks pace and prone to holding in the box.

How old was Woodgate when we signed him...? He was a quality defender long before the age of 27.

If Williamson was top class, he would have been signed up by a top 4 side ages ago - its not as if they are brimming with quality CBs anyway.

Williamson fits the mould for an Ashley-owned NUFC - cheap, reasonable value for money, but nowhere near being a top class defender ; lacks pace and prone to holding in the box.

If Williamson was a top class defender, as a British player it wouldn't have taken him until the age of 26 to be playing in the Premiership

I see him as a good all-round defender who's perfectly capable at this level.

I honestly don't know why many people have singled him out after the Stevenage match. The entire back four was very exposed by our lack of midfield cover and they were all struggling, not just him.

I honestly don't know why many people have singled him out after the Stevenage match. The entire back four was very exposed by our lack of midfield cover and they were all struggling, not just him.

Because of Bolton away, Blackburn at home, Arsenal in the League Cup, Wigan at home....

Because of Bolton away, Blackburn at home, Arsenal in the League Cup, Wigan at home....

Awful against Stoke and Man City as well.

As Jonny says. If he was world class he wouldn't be at Newcastle United. Were we expecting to ditch all our average players in the summer and replace them with players guaranteed to have us challenging for Europe?

If Williamson was a top class defender, as a British player it wouldn't have taken him until the age of 26 to be playing in the Premiership

Exactly.