Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You know, if Samuel Adjei can over come his injuries, he'd perform just as well as Routledge, only with a greater upside to his game. I know its internet talk of 'give the youngster a chance', but he's canny.

Still wouldn't be surprised if we got that full back in return and his new deal was just to get rid of that daft clause.

Unless I'm falsely implying a cause and effect between your two statements, why would they need to get rid of the clause in order to be able to sell him..?  :crazy2:

Wasn't his new deal a vastly better one than the previous contract he had (remember reading something to the tune of a 16k wage rise)?

Still wouldn't be surprised if we got that full back in return and his new deal was just to get rid of that daft clause.

Unless I'm falsely implying a cause and effect between your two statements, why would they need to get rid of the clause in order to be able to sell him..?  :crazy2:

Wasn't his new deal a vastly better one than the previous contract he had (remember reading something to the tune of a 16k wage rise)?

I just mean that with the £1m clause thing to speak to him, it could get annoying if clubs offer it just to speak to him so offered him a new deal to get around it.

And all the payrise has done is probably brought him in line with their other players because I bet he was on a pittance in Premier League terms.

Swansea's bid accepted, according to BBC Football:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14104170.stm

Swansea City have had a bid of around £2m for Newcastle United winger Wayne Routledge accepted, BBC Sport understands.

Newcastle last week rejected the Swans' initial £1.5m offer but Swans boss Brendan Rodgers increased the offer.

"We've had a couple of bids that have gone in," said Rodgers, who is hoping to make his fourth summer signing.

"We think he would fit into our style and excite our supporters. We will wait to see if we can agree a deal."

Routledge spent the second half of last season on loan at Championship side Queens Park Rangers, where he helped them win promotion to the Premier League.

But the 26-year-old, who has two years remaining on his current Newcastle deal, has failed to agree personal terms on a permanent return to Loftus Road.

The former England Under-21 international has also been linked with a move to big-spending Championship club Leicester City and Nottingham Forest.

Routledge was loaned to QPR in January - only a year after leaving Loftus Road to join Newcastle for an undisclosed fee.

He scored five goals in 20 appearances as he played a significant part in Rangers' march towards the Championship title last season.

Swansea, who beat Reading 4-2 to seal top-flight promotion in a thrilling Championship play-off in May, have already added striker Danny Graham, defender Stephen Caulker and goalkeeper Jose Moreira to his squad.

Rodgers is a long-time admirer of Routledge and the Swansea manager has admitted he wants to add a winger, another striker, a goalkeeper and a central defender to his squad before the transfer window closes on 31 August.

Guys, help me out.

Remember that story from around January(?) that we'd released Routledge on a free to some Championship club.  Well, that's as far as my memory goes and I'd like to know a little more.

Where did the story come from?  What happened to it?  etc.

Guys, help me out.

Remember that story from around January(?) that we'd released Routledge on a free to some Championship club.  Well, that's as far as my memory goes and I'd like to know a little more.

Where did the story come from?  What happened to it?  etc.

Metro...