Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Strange one tbh considering Barton is first choice, i would have thought that Routledge is about the best back-up we could hope for.

Its not really he isnt good enough for the prem, whether starting or coming off the bench.

But in our current position are we going to get someone good enough to replace him that would be happy starting on the bench?

We could get a player who will compete for a first team place, rather then accept a place on the bench.

I don't mean accept a place on the bench, it's just that Barton has to start RW the way he is playing so which top class replacement would come in knowing they wouldn't be starting?

I'm not a big fan of Routledge but i don't see how a loan would benefit us in any way.

Suggests we're still in the market for a winger, though. I wonder who Plan E/F is? :razz:

Hopefully it is with a view to buy or some clause in it that they have to buy him if promoted.

We could get a player who will compete for a first team place, rather then accept a place on the bench.

Can't think we'll find a better player willing to come and be Barton's boot cleaner tbh :dontknow:

Interesting to make a team of players maybe too good for the Championship (or good anyway) and not good enough for the Premier League.

Carson

Routledge

M.Bent

Chopra

Earnshaw

You've got some sort of PL vendetta against the guy :lol:

Just an echo at this point, but we must be bringing someone in soon. I liked having Routledge in the team, he was a good asset as a late sub even if he couldn't cross. I guess if it were SWP he'd be marginally better, but I hate that little prick.

Interesting to make a team of players maybe too good for the Championship (or good anyway) and not good enough for the Premier League.

Carson

Routledge

M.Bent

Chopra

Earnshaw

You've got some sort of PL vendetta against the guy :lol:

Not even good enough for a team happy with 17th I'm afraid.  :undecided:

Can't think we'll find a better player willing to come and be Barton's boot cleaner tbh :dontknow:

To me it's daft that Barton or Gosling should be ahead of Routledge in the first place. They are after all central midfielders and neither has got the pace most managers would like out wide. The fact that Routledge couldn't make the right wing spot his own with no genuine competition says a lot about him IMO. A real let down.

In your opinion. I, and many others, were more than happy with him at the start of the season, and in the few games I've seen him in the PL under Pardew.

To me it's daft that Barton or Gosling should be ahead of Routledge in the first place. They are after all central midfielders and neither has got the pace most managers would like out wide. The fact that Routledge couldn't make the right wing spot his own with no genuine competition says a lot about him IMO. A real let down.

beckham was neither fast nor a winger, one of the best wide players this countries produced for a long time.

maybe gillespie type wingers have had their day and managers want a bit more ?

In your opinion. I, and many others, were more than happy with him at the start of the season, and in the few games I've seen him in the PL under Pardew.

true, only the surprising form of barton playing out of his supposed true position kept him out the team, not rank poor performances.

beckham was neither fast nor a winger, one of the best wide players this countries produced for a long time.

I agree with that. There was a time I used to argue pace was vital out wide but without intelligence and end product it's worthless. But most managers would still like a wide player with pace given the option so the fact Routledge has it but can't get in the team tells it's own story.

Not even good enough for a team happy with 17th I'm afraid.   :undecided:

true, only the surprising form of barton playing out of his supposed true position kept him out the team, not rank poor performances.

Exactly. I'm not pretending he's a brilliant Premiership player, but to blankly say "He's not good enough for the Premiership" is an unfair on the lad. DJ Campbell plays in the Premier League ffs :lol:

I agree with that. There was a time I used to argue pace was vital out wide but without intelligence and end product it's worthless. But most managers would still like a wide player with pace given the option so the fact Routledge has it but can't get in the team tells it's own story.

all it says is that for ther talents he has got, we have at least one player for that position who has more. still, hope it means we have a new face coming in.

Exactly. I'm not pretending he's a brilliant Premiership player, but to blankly say "He's not good enough for the Premiership" is an unfair on the lad. DJ Campbell plays in the Premier League ffs :lol:

Spurs, Villa and us can't all be wrong.