Newcastle United 2 - 0 Crystal Palace - 27/01/10 - Post match reaction from p19

Dave

their fans sang nearly all game tbf.  Hardly a peep from most of us.

Maybe it was where I was sitting but I didn't hear a single song from the Palace fans.  Level 7 seemed to be singing nearly all match "Whey ya knaa" went on for about 20 minutes non-stop.

was below them in the middle tier of the Leazes.  They weren't particularly inspiring songs like, eg. a players name to the tune of Pigbag and Palace 'til I die, Neil Warnock's something army etc.

Guest Heneage

Harper - 8 He gets it just for that Amrbose save, it was a very good save and had it been 1-1 I think it may just have finished that way.

Pancrate 7- Secret fullback? Ok so he wasn't tested but he did his job in what I assume is an unfamiliar position.

Coloccini 6.5- Steady but a truly horrible tackle on their number 18, I'd have been seething if that was us, I think it will take time for him to get used to Williamson

Williamson 7.5- Very good debut, didn't back down or show a lack of confidence and was going up for headers within minutes. He knows his limitations and looks an assured signing.

Enrique - Would have torn them a new one

Kadar- 7 very accomplished defender, cool  calm the lot.

Guthrie 7 - Solid, looked better in the second half and held onto it, he does slow the play down too much for my liking .

Nolan - 6 Who?

Smith - 6 Nolans brother?

Jonas 6.5 - Realised tonight how much he needs Jose Enrique.

Carroll 6- Utter fanny tonight, he can't head the ball with any great skill or placement and fails to communicate to his strike partner

Lovenkrands 6- Should have scored, that's what seperates him from the top league and this one.

Subs

Routledge 7.5 - Exciting to say the least, pace, movement tricks, I look forward to him

Ranger 7- Scored did well, looks more dangerous than Carroll.

Hughton was absolutely clueless tonight btw. The last person I would have brought on is Pancrate when Jose went off injured. And when Routledge came on, why the hell did he play off Carroll? It doesn't make any sense - he's a winger for goodness sake.

Guest Heneage

Generous ratings there mate.

Aye I know, I'd probably drop the all down a point, I don't like going 5 and below, that for me is like not even getting passes to connect. 6 is average.

Clean sheet, two goals, two new lads did well, Kadar did well, the only real low point was Jose going off. Everything else is negotiable.

Betting wise I was gutted £9 on us 3-0 at 11/1 if that had of come in I would not be posting now.

Hughton was absolutely clueless tonight btw. The last person I would have brought on is Pancrate when Jose went off injured. And when Routledge came on, why the hell did he play off Carroll? It doesn't make any sense - he's a winger for goodness sake.

It really isn't right that Guthrie and Routledge were played out of position to keep Nolan on. I assume they'd tried Pancrate in training at right back before Williamson signed.

Guest michaelfoster

Ranger offered little before the goal imo, his first touch was poor & gave the ball away a couple of times, he needs to learn how to head in front of goal too, not the first time he's missed a fairly easy header on goal.

IMO he's not doing good enough in front of goal yet but there is potential

Clean sheet, two goals, two new lads did well, Kadar did well, the only real low point was Jose going off. Everything else is negotiable.

Betting wise I was gutted £9 on us 3-0 at 11/1 if that had of come in I would not be posting now.

Your loss is our gain.   :no:

Nolan is pushing the limits of frustration now. Utter cack from him again, and now the goals are drying up it's rendering him totally fucking useless.

I'm sorry but if we go up he'd be one of the first I'd sell. His goal record is creating a very nice illusion, maybe we'll get somebody sticking in a desperate bid for him.

Seems a nice enough guy but I can't see him ever making it in the Premier League again.

Your loss is our gain.  

True.

Guest firetotheworks

Ranger offered little before the goal imo, his first touch was poor & gave the ball away a couple of times, he needs to learn how to head in front of goal too, not the first time he's missed a fairly easy header on goal.

IMO he's not doing good enough in front of goal yet but there is potential

I cant believe how you can think that tbh. Each to their own, but it begs belief imo. Ranger for me didn't put a foot wrong, and presented a much better attacking threat when he came on. I even thought his touch was good. He should have scored that header, but in the good striker cliche, he got up, didn't hide and got his goal .

That was absolutely woeful.  I was trying to remember during the game how many times we have actually performed very well this season given that we are top of the league and couldnt think of more than 5 or 6.  Palace were shite, the leagues shite and we have 9 or 10 fizzy pop players in the first team who sometimes can be arsed to break a sweat but are dreadful to watch.  Hope Jose isnt out too long as we are limited as it is with most of our creativity coming from his work with Jonas.  Our centre mid didnt exist, there was more than one occassion where we brought the ball out from the back and off towards their box and Nolan didnt even break into a jog.  They looked confused and devoid of ideas, but hardly surprising, given the number of formation changes they made in the 5 minutes after Jose went off.  We need someone to open their mouth and lead.  Overall a handy result, a shit spectacle, had more fun laughing at the cracker in the Gallowgate offering on the Palace fans at the opposite end of the stadium.  Roll on 2nd May.

It really isn't right that Guthrie and Routledge were played out of position to keep Nolan on. I assume they'd tried Pancrate in training at right back before Williamson signed.

I look at the team sometimes after subs and I swear half the time Hughton just tells them to get out there and see how it goes. One second I was adament Routedge was on the right, then he was playing off Carroll, then suddenly him, Guthrie and Jonas were all playing on the left.

Guest firetotheworks

For the record, we actually won this match 2-0. We need to curtail the whinging a bit, aye we weren't that good, but we're still winning. Smile. :)

:thup:

For the record, we actually won this match 2-0. We need to curtail the whinging a bit, aye we weren't that good, but we're still winning. Smile. :)

Just like previous to this game though, playing badly and winning will only get you so far. It'll end pretty sharpish if we don't pull the finger out.

Having watched Routledge from when he broke into the Palace team he is far more than just a winger. Definitely seen him play as a striker also. Hughton even alluded to it in his press conference about the signing. He's pretty versatile.

Guest WashyGeordie

The palace fans looked to be singing, but you couldn't hear anything apart from 2 songs or something, and i was in Level 7 (normally the block next to sold-out away fans), so...

And about the game, it was pretty naff, but getting the 3pts is the main thing, and it was nice to see Ranger scoring(!!), aswell as the 2 new signings, playing (canny) good considering the length of time they've been here.

a bit off beat, but has anyone else noticed that woman who plays the guitar outside Barker and Stonehouse has proper piled the beef on recently?

Has she ate her one time singing guitar playing partner?

Yeah, what happened to the other one?

They totally ruined "Have a Nice Day" for me, didn't matter what time I turned up, they were always playing it.