FEEL THE HATE FROM SOL

Thespence

Reminds me of when Keegan took us to Roker Park in their season back after promotion. The disgraceful chants at Alan Shearer after his heroics for England in the World Cup sums them up tbh. Inferiority complex, and totally justified.

It was Euro 96. Did Shearer even play in the game at Roker Park though?

No but he was still the subject of the chants. Sunderland went ahead, Beardsley and Ferdinand shut them up IIRC.

September 4, 1996

NEWCASTLE United supporters were banned from the last derby match with Sunderland at Roker Park – but this did not stop Kevin Keegan’s side from running out 2-1 winners.

United inflicted the first Premiership defeat of the season on the Wearsiders after coming from behind at the interval – and how the 8,000 fans watching the beam-back at the Arena – loved it.

In contrast, Sunderland supporters in the Fulwell End spent a lot of time hurling abuse at United captain Alan Shearer.

September 4, 1996

NEWCASTLE United supporters were banned from the last derby match with Sunderland at Roker Park – but this did not stop Kevin Keegan’s side from running out 2-1 winners.

United inflicted the first Premiership defeat of the season on the Wearsiders after coming from behind at the interval – and how the 8,000 fans watching the beam-back at the Arena – loved it.

In contrast, Sunderland supporters in the Fulwell End spent a lot of time hurling abuse at United captain Alan Shearer.

If you never understood the mackem inferiority complex before it you should have a better idea now then. Shearer wasn't playing.

Of course he played. Stood saluting the Dullwell End at the final whistle.

Yeah you are right actually. It's always Beardsley and Ferdinand that stuck in my mind during that game, also Ginola for some reason. Probably because they were the players who the hopeless cloggers had a hard time getting to grips with.

Guest Heneage

Good on them for celebrating. I can't say I've personally celebrated a Sunderland relegation with such vigor. We've had a much better time of it the last 10-15 years, be it in terms of Europe, cup finals, SBR era, and even the 4-1 at SOL.

Guest firetotheworks

I rarely partake when its the Mackems, I dunno why. It's a bit like punching the div kid that looks up to you.  :snod:

I have a mach larger dislike for Owen tbh.

Guest Heneage

Just watching the videos, it really dawns on you. That's all they've had on us for possibly 20-25 years. Never been in Europe, not been to Wembley in years, closest they came was the semi where Millwall beat them, they went down with one of the lowest points totals in league history, and up until last year had watched their side be routinely beaten by their rivals home and away.

Now just as things look rosey, their manager takes them on a loosing streak, they look so reliant on 2-3 players and their rivals are not struggling in the fizzy pop league. They can't even enjoy this really.