Transfer Deadline Day Jan '10

JH
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Simpson 6/10 - Good right back. Best we could have hoped for and could do a job in the Prem.

Williamson 7/10 - good third choice cb. Was good at Watford and has looked decent in his 2 games to date.

Routledge 7/10 - adds some creativity to that side of the pitch. Pacey player who will compliment Jonas and put pressure on teams.

Hall 4/10 - adds to the numbers, bit is pretty s*** really. Would hope Kadar gets a chance ahead of him. Pretty pointless really, but I suppose is there should we have a major crisis with our main 3 cb's out.

Van Arnvelt(sp?) 6/10 - good cover for Enrique. We needed this and he was available. Nothing to get excited about. Was vital we got someone in.

Best 3/10 - getting a striker was a priority. We looked at some decent players, then in desperation went for a backup targetman to our already poor strikeforce. Even worse, he's on a long contract. Very poor signing in my opinion.

Would pretty much agree with that  :pow:

i don't see how this window can't be considered good. our expectations were pretty low (just don't sell anyone good and get a few loans) and we ended up with some very good players and great depth (to the point where our squad is now too big). papa geremi has gone, so we've actually saved wages.

there were occasional disappointments like moses and beckford, but the idea of getting moses was crazy before the weekend.

so all in all, its been a very very good window and hopefully enough to get us promoted.

Simpson 6/10 - Good right back. Best we could have hoped for and could do a job in the Prem.

Williamson 7/10 - good third choice cb. Was good at Watford and has looked decent in his 2 games to date.

Routledge 7/10 - adds some creativity to that side of the pitch. Pacey player who will compliment Jonas and put pressure on teams.

Hall 4/10 - adds to the numbers, bit is pretty shit really. Would hope Kadar gets a chance ahead of him. Pretty pointless really, but I suppose is there should we have a major crisis with our main 3 cb's out.

Van Arnvelt(sp?) 6/10 - good cover for Enrique. We needed this and he was available. Nothing to get excited about. Was vital we got someone in.

Best 3/10 - getting a striker was a priority. We looked at some decent players, then in desperation went for a backup targetman to our already poor strikeforce. Even worse, he's on a long contract. Very poor signing in my opinion.

I'd agree with those ratings as Championship players.

As Premier League players:

Simpson - 4

Williamson - 6

Routledge - 5

Best - 2

The contract lengths for these players scare me, and don't make me optimistic for next summer at all.

Hall 4/10 - adds to the numbers, bit is pretty shit really. Would hope Kadar gets a chance ahead of him. Pretty pointless really, but I suppose is there should we have a major crisis with our main 3 cb's out.

I'd agree with those ratings as Championship players.

As Premier League players:

Simpson - 4

Williamson - 6

Routledge - 5

Best - 2

The contract lengths for these players scare me, and don't make me optimistic for next summer at all.

The contract lengths won't bother Ashley though as even if we don't get promoted the wages are low enough for the Championship.

The signings we have made will be backup next season,unless we miss out on promotion.Williamson is a better backup defender than what we've had for a while as is Simpson.Best is at best 3rd or 4th choice but will be more use than Xisco was last season,and I think Routledge will be fine for our first season back.A very good window,for once.

Good to see the results, from the Leon Best thread you'd think it was the apocalypse.

Not really, I'm unhappy with that particular deal but happy overall and it appears most are the same. It's pretty easy to separate the two.

Before today, I was happy enough with the window. We badly needed a proven PL average striker and a proper central midfielder and we didn't get either, so that turns my smile into a straight line.

looks like Hughton reckons the midfield is top class and doesn't need bolstering,so we go for alleged strikers,yeah that'll be right

I really don't think he believes this.

Agreed. For all we know, we may not have had many midfielders to choose from to bring in. Or we may have been quoted silly money. Also, the Barton factor may have played a part in his decision not to bring someone in. Also, may already have someone in mind on loan once he assesses Barton's fitness and form upon his return.

Good to see the results, from the Leon Best thread you'd think it was the apocalypse.

Not really, I'm unhappy with that particular deal but happy overall and it appears most are the same. It's pretty easy to separate the two.

Fair enough. Caught exaggerating - the shame!

looks like Hughton reckons the midfield is top class and doesn't need bolstering,so we go for alleged strikers,yeah that'll be right

Agreed. For all we know, we may not have had many midfielders to choose from to bring in. Or we may have been quoted silly money. Also, the Barton factor may have played a part in his decision not to bring someone in. Also, may already have someone in mind on loan once he assesses Barton's fitness and form upon his return.

Look at the CMs he has: Barton, Butt, Smith, Nolan and Guthrie. To anyone outside of Newcastle, they'd say that midfield should piss all over this league.

Fair enough. Caught exaggerating - the shame!

:p ;)

Look at the CMs he has: Barton, Butt, Smith, Nolan and Guthrie. To anyone outside of Newcastle, they'd say that midfield should piss all over this league.

For the first time in my life I'll say this: we need a Jimmy Bullard in our midfield. Guthrie can be that, but he's either played out of position, or goes missing for long spells when he's in the center. Definitely a player with the skills to do it, but lacking the mental strength for such a responsibility.

For the first time in my life I'll say this: we need a Jimmy Bullard in our midfield. Guthrie can be that, but he's either played out of position, or goes missing for long spells when he's in the center. Definitely a player with the skills to do it, but lacking the mental strength for such a responsibility.

a 21yr old lee clark would rape this division. don't need pace. just vision,technique and movement.

Has anyone seen the clips of Celtic fans welcoming the loan signing of Keane as the second coming? We might have our fair share of tits getting themselves on telly everytime a story breaks but the Glaswegian goons make our brand of braindead charvas look like Stephen Fry.

On December 31st we badly needed cover at centre-back, cover at left-back, a right-winger and a striker. We also needed to get Geremi of the books.

So, delighted. :thup: The Moses thing has clouded a few people's brains i think. We went about it pretty poorly, but we still signed a goalscoring Championship striker.

Has anyone seen the clips of Celtic fans welcoming the loan signing of Keane as the second coming? We might have our fair share of tits getting themselves on telly everytimr a story breaks but the Glaswegian goons make our brand of braindead charvas look like Stephen Fry.

Aye  :lol: There song for Keane misses out 50% of the Alphabet.

On December 31st we badly needed cover at centre-back, cover at left-back, a right-winger and a striker. We also needed to get Geremi of the books.

So, delighted. :thup: The Moses thing has clouded a few people's brains i think. We went about it pretty poorly, but we still signed a goalscoring Championship striker.

I wouldnt say I'm delighted, i'm still pleased that we strengthened the squad and in Routledge actually bought a player in who might get fans out of their seats.

There still seems to be some disappointment over the window but considering where we are, we probably exceeded most people's expectations if you rewind a month.