This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

The problem is Ranger hasnt looked enough of an attacking threat, his pace, strength & hold up play are good but he's not taking enough of his chances, i think thats maybe why we signed Best, we needed someone who was proven in this league and can score goals off the bench. 

Ranger desperatly needs to go out on loan for a season to a CCC club where he can play 90 mins every week and gain some experience & get some goals which will boost his confidence.

We shouldn't have signed Best.  We should have loaned Harewood for rest of the season before he picked up his injury at Villa in training or we should have loaned some other Prem striker in for a few months.  Were stuck with Best who sadly isn't the best.  I'm open to him playing and turning opinion around but he's going to be under a lot scrutiny.  He hit a decent cross for Carroll's goal against Swansea but that's about it so far.

As for Ranger, defo agree he needs to be out on loan somewhere so he can get some experience.  Perhaps now that Lovenkrands his picked up a knock we will keep him as cover though.

Harewood broke his foot and is out for the season, or most of it,  we couldn't sign him even if we wanted too.

The problem is Ranger hasnt looked enough of an attacking threat, his pace, strength & hold up play are good but he's not taking enough of his chances, i think thats maybe why we signed Best, we needed someone who was proven in this league and can score goals off the bench. 

Ranger desperatly needs to go out on loan for a season to a CCC club where he can play 90 mins every week and gain some experience & get some goals which will boost his confidence.

I agree with all of that. If we'd got in Best earlier then maybe a loan could have been arranged fror Ranger. He's a real promising player but his conversion of chances is pretty average.

Guest michaelfoster

He's started 7 games this season and not really been much of an attacking threat in those games. I think he is a good player with alot of potential but IMO some people are OTT with his hype

He hasnt started a game in the championship since the 1-1 with QPR.

The rest is carling cup/Fa cup games, the striker in a 4-5-1 or had 30 - 5 mins to make an impact.

Its not enough of a basis to say he wouldnt be able to finish

Ranger said himself that he was coming on at the end of games with instructions to do what he was doing, he was being told to get the ball and hold onto it and he did that.  He hasn't had the chance to play games and get an understanding with the other players who he plays with and he hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do as a potential goal scorer.

Best is only 23. I really can't understand why people are on his back already, after a handful of games.

Wasn't he meant to be an impact signing, a players who could get us goals in this division immediately? If things go to plan we've only got three months left in the CCC so how long does he need (considering he's been playing in it all season already?)

I wouldn't say I'm on his back, I just think he's a poor player even at this level and it bemuses me why we've signed him.

Guest michaelfoster

He hasnt started a game in the championship since the 1-1 with QPR.

The rest is carling cup/Fa cup games, the striker in a 4-5-1 or had 30 - 5 mins to make an impact.

Its not enough of a basis to say he wouldnt be able to finish

I dont think ive explained very well. I was talking about first team starts only

He's started 4 league games, 1 FA Cup game & 2 League Cup, hes started more league games than cups combined.

He has scored twice in the league both been off the bench i think (in 24 sub appearances), which means in the 4 games he has started he has failed to score.

Best has started 2 games and came off the bench 3 times in the league and has yet to score.

So basically Ranger has played 4 times and hasnt scored from the starting XI and Best has played twice and hasnt scored from the starting XI.

So basically what im saying is dont write Best off yet, and Ranger would not be a a more suitable replacement as IMO the goals would dry up if Lovenkrands & Carroll got injured and we started with Ranger & Ameobi

Best is only 23. I really can't understand why people are on his back already, after a handful of games.

Wasn't he meant to be an impact signing, a players who could get us goals in this division immediately? If things go to plan we've only got three months left in the CCC so how long does he need (considering he's been playing in it all season already?)

I wouldn't say I'm on his back, I just think he's a poor player even at this level and it bemuses me why we've signed him.

The only reason I can think we signed him is that he's good at being a target man rather than scoring goals for fun. Because despite their height, neither Shola or Carroll are much use at holding off defenders and bringing other team mates into play. Probably Ranger is the best with the ball at his feet but he's still learning as well. For what he's cost I'm not too bothered about the Best signing. He's 23 and costing 15k or less. Hardly a disaster signing in the overall scheme of things.

He is probably the type of player that needs time to settle in. He has not really had an extended run in the team but if he does, then maybe he will start scoring. He needs a goal for his confidence though. However, having said that, I feel he is 4th in the pecking order behind Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ameobi (when eventually fit) so he is probably more of a squad player than anything else.

Why the fuck did we sign him for three and a half years. Even if he does 'come good' this season and puts away five or six goals - what long term hopes do we have for turgid crap like this guy? If we go up and he's playing for us, urgh.

Why the fuck did we sign him for three and a half years. Even if he does 'come good' this season and puts away five or six goals - what long term hopes do we have for turgid crap like this guy? If we go up and he's playing for us, urgh.

The only hope is that as we signed him for around £1m, we will probably not have too much trouble shifting him for that amount if he helps us get promoted.  Even if we shift him for £500k, losing half a mil on him won't be the end of the world.

That's funny Wullie. You've concluded that he is a poor player after a handful of games and that is not getting on his back? When a player comes good, we keep on saying that we need to give players more time, yet when a new player joins us, we forget all that and start the cycle again...amazing!  I suspect that in your case it has more to deal with your zeal of proving that all Ashley's transfer dealings are crap notwithstanding the fact that we sit in 1st place. Don't get me wrong, all of us want better players but given our budget constraint, sometimes a bit more patience is needed.  I say give him another 5 games at least.

The contract length is so that he has some re-sale value. If we got him on a short term deal we'd only get peanuts back for him because his contract will be running out. The importance of re-sale value has been made very clear by this regime, for example when Llambias turned up to that fans meeting and explained Keegan wanted to sign Richard Dunne and Sami Hyppia but Ashley knocked them back because they're old and thus have little sell on value.

Regardless of all that, his hold up and supprt play is pretty good, but he's not a goal threat. I can barely think of a shot he's had in the games since he's been here, even against Cardiff he ran through 1 on 1 and still failed to shoot.

Guest Heneage

Mate seriously, he's played like 4 games. Lovenkrands wasn't scoring till he got a steady run now look at him.

Mate seriously, he's played like 4 games. Lovenkrands wasn't scoring till he got a steady run now look at him.

Didn't he score in like his 2nd game for the club? against West Brom? and im sure his 2nd goal (man utd) wasnt much later...but assuming you mean in championship then fair enough, apart from Loven had extenuating circumstances...which he overcame before being dealt another blow

Guest Heneage

Didn't he score in like his 2nd game for the club? against West Brom? and im sure his 2nd goal (man utd) wasnt much later...but assuming you mean in championship then fair enough

Yeah I mean in the Championship, I don't think he scored till a few games in. It takes time to settle, there was times Saturday you could see Best and Carroll are still learning how each other plays.