Transfer Policy at NUFC

Guest Brazilianbob

More a point for next season.... but, as a general rule (and yes, there are exceptions...), I've come to the conclusion that a club like us is far better off spending smaller amount of cash of foreign players than ever splashing out big money for more 'established' players.  My theory being that if we are paying big money for a player (ie 6 million plus), if he is any good, a far bigger club than us will have bought him already.

Possibly not a groundbreaking theory or one that will be met with universal appreciation, but as a general rule I think it works.

Thanks Mike :thup:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or what - but as a general rule it makes sense.

I'd also add to that and suggest we should never buy players from the 'Big Four'.

I wish people would stop bringing up this Arsenal blueprint thing FFS. It's just a phrase, it doesn't mean we suddenly are Arsenal.

Well to be fair it's me who keeps bringing it up repeatedly, it must get tiresome but still  :pow:

Llambias said it was the team we sold Milner to who have spent over £90m net in the last 5 years, all financed by the owner that we're copying.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/10/derek-llambias-newcastle-united-mike-ashley

Only 4 years until we're challenging for everything now.  :clap2:

Seems to me like some people support the balance sheet before the football team.  Pennypinching and selling good players for money while replacing them with cheap s*** is why we watch Championship football.

you always tend to watch the pennies more when you are skint.

Seems to me like some people support the balance sheet before the football team.  Pennypinching and selling good players for money while replacing them with cheap s*** is why we watch Championship football.

Despite the fact that it was the ridiculous overspending in the first place which ultimately lead to our relegation and forcing us to buy 'cheap shit'??

More a point for next season.... but, as a general rule (and yes, there are exceptions...), I've come to the conclusion that a club like us is far better off spending smaller amount of cash of foreign players than ever splashing out big money for more 'established' players.  My theory being that if we are paying big money for a player (ie 6 million plus), if he is any good, a far bigger club than us will have bought him already.

Possibly not a groundbreaking theory or one that will be met with universal appreciation, but as a general rule I think it works.

How exactly are you classifying "a club like us"? ie one which not so long ago was constantly in the top 20 of the highest turnovers in the world in spite of supposed completely incompetent ownership (so obviously with a lot of room to improve it's finances), and which would certainly go straight back in the top 30 at least immediately on promotion.

Which clubs has it worked for out of interest?

How exactly are you classifying "a club like us"? ie one which not so long ago was constantly in the top 20 of the highest turnovers in the world in spite of supposed completely incompetent ownership (so obviously with a lot of room to improve it's finances), and which would certainly go straight back in the top 30 at least immediately on promotion.

don't confuse turnover with doing well. seems like you are forgetting the outgoings.

Seems to me like some people support the balance sheet before the football team.  Pennypinching and selling good players for money while replacing them with cheap shit is why we watch Championship football.

:thup:

Guest toonlass

Seems to me like some people support the balance sheet before the football team.  Pennypinching and selling good players for money while replacing them with cheap shit is why we watch Championship football.

Problem is, the cheap shit is all we can get while we are in this division.

No we could have got Moses but then we'd have had to up our bid. As a rule I agree that we should be looking to sign young, hungry players and obviously we have a limit to our budget. But if there is an opportunity to get a genuine talent for a good price I'm disappointed we haven't taken it.

I think the policy looks something like this;

- Buy cheap with potential

- Sell high

- Salaries as little as possible

Will only work if we have a very strong scouting team as every time we sell for a profit we have to hope the replacement will come in and the team won't be negatively impacted.

It's more the sports direct strategy than the Arsenal one imho.

What's hard to understand about the fact that, even when we were in the top 4 of the Premiership, we don't have the draw to bring in top quality foreigners?  Really good foreigners don't want to come to live in Newcastle and as a result we end up paying inflated fees and wages to entice players to come, most of whom aren't actually good enough for top 6 teams.

Guest toonlass

No we could have got Moses but then we'd have had to up our bid. As a rule I agree that we should be looking to sign young, hungry players and obviously we have a limit to our budget. But if there is an opportunity to get a genuine talent for a good price I'm disappointed we haven't taken it.

Will you still be whinging if Leon Best scores another 10 goals this season?

If he can score 10 more goals this season with our midfield he should be commissioned for a statue at St James.

Not really, spunking the club's money on overpaid wasters is also a big part of the reason.

Not spending hasn't been the reason for NUFC's decline, mismanagement has been.

I wish people would stop bringing up this Arsenal blueprint thing FFS. It's just a phrase, it doesn't mean we suddenly are Arsenal.

Well to be fair it's me who keeps bringing it up repeatedly, it must get tiresome but still  :pow:

Ha ha, well I don't hold personal grudges so I hadn't noticed!

Guest toonlass

If he can score 10 more goals this season with our midfield he should be commissioned for a statue at St James.

So we didn't need a striker? We needed a midfielder?

don't confuse turnover with doing well. seems like you are forgetting the outgoings.

Not at all. When run properly we have a financial advantage over a lot of teams in this country, all but half a dozen or so at the moment. We can afford higher transfer fees and wages than a lot of teams in the Premier League. There are limits of course, but just because we didn't cross the line and win the league or a cup when we were actually trying doesn't mean we should just give up and be happy to just get by as a club without any ambition other than to stay in the Premiership.

This lad is proposing "a club like us" shouldn't get ideas above our station and should settle for buying a couple of cheap players on low wages a year. This is apparently the road to success, but actually it's the road to mediocrity which leads you down the path of falling attendances and reduced merchandising ending up back where we were 30 years ago.

Not at all. When run properly we have a financial advantage over a lot of teams in this country, all but half a dozen or so at the moment. We can afford higher transfer fees and wages than a lot of teams in the Premier League. There are limits of course, but just because we didn't cross the line and win the league or a cup when we were actually trying doesn't mean we should just give up and be happy to just get by as a club without any ambition other than to stay in the Premiership.

This lad is proposing "a club like us" shouldn't get ideas above our station and should settle for buying a couple of cheap players on low wages a year. This is apparently the road to success, but actually it's the road to mediocrity which leads you down the path of falling attendances and reduced merchandising ending up back where we were 30 years ago.

Eh??? I'm not proposing we settle for mediocrity... I'm just suggesting we have a more sensible transfer policy.  I can't see any merit in us buying foreign players for large sums of money for the reasons I listed earlier.  I would also prefer we didn't buy players from top 4 clubs.

the big thing that stands out is "when run properly" and i agree 100% with that. however we are still suffering from not being run properly since about the time robson left.

Eh??? I'm not proposing we settle for mediocrity... I'm just suggesting we have a more sensible transfer policy.  I can't see any merit in us buying foreign players for large sums of money for the reasons I listed earlier.  I would also prefer we didn't buy players from top 4 clubs.

Yes you are. Completely. Any player over £6m who was any good would have been bought by a bigger club than us, no sorry, by a FAR bigger club than us, and they wouldn't want to play for us anyway even if we fluked into the top 4 because Newcastle's shit so why bother. Let's just go for players who noone else wants or ever wanted (don't want any cast offs from "big" clubs do we) to avoid disappointment. What an amazing strategy for success.

I'm still waiting for a list of the teams it's worked for.

the big thing that stands out is "when run properly" and i agree 100% with that. however we are still suffering from not being run properly since about the time robson left.

The majority of the squad was easily good enough for top half of the table when Ashley took over. Plenty of saleable assets. Sell the high earners and replace them if the wage bill was too high (and only Butt, Duff, Given, Martins & Owen remained as pre-Ashley high earners at the start of 08-09, just over 1 year after Ashley took over). Where we are now is all on Ashley.