4 Years Ago Today....

Thespence

UV, so do you agree that they were appointed because they were totally different to their predecessors? Or do you think that they were appointed on merit and the difference was a coincidence?

You can't on one hand say that appointing the opposite was correct because nobody would replace a manager with someone the same, and then on the other hand say that they didn't employ them because they were different.

No-one is the opposite of someone else. You can pick out a few characteristics where they may be different, but it's ridiculous to just pick out those attributes and say that's the reason they were chosen. You can't tell me that the only reason Dalglish was appointed was because he was the polar opposite of a very successful Keegan (which he isn't), and the fact that he had previously shown himself to be a very good manager had nothing to do with it. He was appointed on merit. He happened to have a different management style to Keegan.

What I would say is that the managers were chosen based on a very simplistic view of what was going wrong, and generally took things too far to the other extreme.

I don't know how to put this in a non patronising way, but if you think simplisticly yourself, you'll tend to project that thinking onto how other people made their decisions. ;)

souness - fantastic player, not a good manager

rangers - had £ to spend, english european ban worked in his favour to sign english players

liverpool - ruined the team. got julian dicks to grow hair and try to play an unnatural game, sold beardsley to everton.... although they did beat the mackems in the cup final

southampton - signed ali dia  ;D

galatasaray - fair do's he did ok there

benfica - signed hasbeens like steve harkness, brian deane, mark pembridge and knocked back deco ... did averagely

torino - didn't last long there, although from what i remember he was in a keegan/ashley sort of situation

blackburn - did ok but lost the plot after a while and sold better players like cole/yorke after daft arguments  - bellamy style

newcastle - nuff said

Sir Bobby was the last manager to complete a full season on a managers contract, wasn't he? Remarkable when you think about it.

04/05: Bobby, Souness

05/06: Souness, Roeder

06/07: Roeder, Pearson(last game of the season)

07/08: Allardyce, Keegan

08/09: Keegan, Hughton, Kinnear, Shearer

09/10: Hughton appointed manager after a few games...

it also has to be looked at the manner of how some of the managers left (particularly in my opinion dalglish, timing was stupid and i also think he should have been given more time, and robson, again my opinion ,should have went at the end of the season before he left avoiding the again,stupid timing )

For me on the managers since KK1:

Dalglish:  I was all for this one, thought it was a great appointment, and it certainly looked that way when we had a great end to that first season, finishing 2nd and a CL spot. I still think he wasn't given the time he should have, and was awfully unlucky with injuries. Everyone points at the Sir Les sale as a way to show how bad he was, but we were offered 6 Million for a player close to 30, which at the time was silly money and in the end Les played so few games for spuds, he probably goes down as one of their worst value for money buys. The injury to Shearer at Everton really shanged things, JD Tommason was brought in to play alongside Shearer and I truely believe that would have been a great partnership for us had Shearer not gotten injured. Dalglish also brought in some great players for the club, Speed, Solano, Hamman and Given, yes he bought some crap too, but on the whole had Shearer not been injured that pre season, I think things could have turned out much differently.

Guillet: I was all for this appointment, thought he did a great job at Chelsea and was a little shocked when they let him go. Unlike Dalglish though, Guillet was not unlucky, he was just terrible at man management, he made a couple of good signings, Dyer and Ferguson, but on the whole they were poor.

Robson: Once again I was pleased with the appointment. And of course he was a terrific manager for us, bought well and sold well. Got the team playing right and brought the best out of the players. I did feel towards the end of the season when we finished 5th, that he had lost things and should step down, I was happy when he was sacked as I thought he should have gone in the summer, I have to admit. On hindsight that was a terrible move.

Souness: I don't think there were too many fans who had a clue, that thought this was a good appointment. I couldn't believe it, what on earth were the club thinking, at the time NUFC manager was a top job and they were giving it to a man on the edge of being sacked by a team at the bottom of the league. Clearly they went for a discplinarian because they thought Robson was too soft. Mind you initially I doubted my stance on Souness, he started off really well with some good results, however it wasn't long before things turned pear shaped. Delighted when they sacked him, thought it was a little too late. But Roeder did a great job for the rest of that season to get us into europe again.

Roeder: I had appreciated his efforts picking up the mess of Souness but I was certain he was not the right appointment. There were stupid nufc fans calling for him to be appointed and the board took the easy option. A little foresight would have told them that Roeder had none of the qualities you need in a top manager and that the previous season's recovery had a lot to do with the anything but Souness feeling around the club. I thought this appointment was as bad as the previous one, and unfortunately I was proved right.

Fat Sam: I was really happy with this appointment. I thought at last the club have gone for someone with a proven record, someone on the up. I had dismissed the calls of Bolton fans who complained about the style on the grounds that I just wanted to see us win again and that a lot of his style of play had a lot  to do with the finances he operated on at Bolton. I thought his first press conference as toon boss was very impressive, then his first game away at Bolton, was a great start. I did think that summer we should have got MON in but was more than happy with Fat Sam.  I'm still not sure whether if given more time he could have got things right, but no denying that the football was awful and some of the results were terrible. I was shocked at the sacking but have to admit not too upset.

KK part 2: I was delighted with this appointment, thought he was the right man, at the right time. I still think he could have been, if Ashley hadn't been such a lunatic. The appointment of Wise was a huge mistake obviously, it was a time bomb waiting to happen. We needed someone to look at the youth and build it up, this was clearly not KK's strong suit, he was all about the here and now. Wise does have an eye for a player and brought in some great propects but clearly his role and standing in the game were going to clash with KK at some point.

JFK: Thought it was a stupid move but at the same time we needed to be saved from the gormeless Hughton, and at first he did a pretty decent job, pulled us up the table and even got Shola playing well (not an easy task). But his health situation and the undenialable fact that the man was a complete lunatic meant that this couldn't be sustained.

Shearer: Hughton was doing another truely awful caretaker job again, and I was delighted to see Shearer given his chance. Thought he was on a no lose situation, thought it was ideal. The start was poor but we had a tough fbunch of fixtures, when we bit the smoggies, thought we were on our way to safety. And perhaps if it weren't for Howard fucking Webb and Damien Duff perhaps we would have stayed up but on the whole a little disappointed with Shearer's results, I had expected better.

Hughton: Not surprised at the appointment, but not happy either. He had proved he couldn't manage in the big league, but the team was winning, top of the league. It was a easy appointment for the owner and a cheap one, he got his yes man in. I don't think anyone should be fooled by what Hughton has down this season. This league we are in is truely awful, there is zero quality and our squad is more than capable of winning it with ease. His big test will come next year whether we go up or stay up. Going up, I'm sure he'll be found out, once again. Staying put, he'll lose half his team and it's going to be a much bigger test for him and the club. He'll also be under a lot more pressure than he has been this year.

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away, I don't expected anyone to read it.

Skimmed it, I agree with most of it except Allardyce, he was a disaster waiting to happen. Very surprised that if you objected to Souness you were in favour of Sam... guess he had a better recent past in terms of results though.

At the time of Fat sam's appointment, we needed results, he was someone that delivered, I thought he had done an excellent job at Bolton, and actually he's doing a great job at Blackburn, on limited resources.

I thought he was the right man at the time, and also thought he would change his style of play with access to larger funds. Unfortunately I was wrong, I do think though that despite what a lot of people think he would have kept us mid table in that year, I know the fixture list had been kind to him early season and the tough patch was coming along, but he's proved to get unexpected results against top teams in the past. I also think he would have worked better with Wise than KK did.

I'm by no means a big supporter of Fat Sam, but I do recognise that he has been getting results on shoestring budgets and that impresses me. His style of play was never suited to NUFC, but I thought he would change that.

I guess another reason for me to be a little more forgiving than the rest on Fat Sam is because I remember only to well the days of Ozzie at nufc. For thopse not around during that period , we actually played some really great football, Ozzie made KK look conservative ! They knocked the ball around great back then but the results were dreadful. Despite that I was still very sad to see Ozzie sacked, he was such a nice guy too. Anyway he was the polar opposite to Fat Sam, great football, crap results against Crap football, good results. I had obviously been wrong to not realise that Ozzie should go, so I was prepared to think FS was going to prove a good choice.

The two games against Derby, of course made me doubt my support stance, and I do think in the end those two games got him sacked.

For Souness, he had no track record, he was good in a crappy league at Rangers, truely awful with Liverpool, failed on numerous occassions on the continent. Did an OK job at Southampton, admittedly did well initially at Blackburn getting them promoted and winning the League cup but his already unspectactular career was on the slide and was on the verge of the sackwhen we poached him. He had an awful reputation for man management and there were so manay better candidates out there.

That's crazy man, you can put a missed drugs test down to foregetfullness and stupidity, I'm not saying it's the truth but you can. You can't excuse pissing in a doorway, when you're trying to sell a club to fans of all ages from 5 to 95, you need your players to look like model professionals.

Ferdinand missed his drugs test which was to take place at the training ground where he was training; the disciplinary commission heard all of the evidence and decided to give him a fine and an 8 month ban.  I could have also mentioned Cantona kicking the Crystal Palace fan.