4 Years Ago Today....

Thespence

Souness left NUFC.

BBC report him leaving: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4673636.stm

What went wrong: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4673804.stm

Trials,loans, bought & sold:

http://www.nufc.com/2009-10html/transfers-souness.html

His bullshit afterwards:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-508045/Souness-sounds-warning-man-dares-Geordies.html

In the above who did he say was his number 1 target.....strange that name was not on the bit paper given to FS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Giving it facepalm

http://cdn.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/graeme-souness.jpg

Guest Heneage

He should never have been sacked because he shouldn't have been here in the first place.

He was brought in to bring discpline, the problem was, the owners and the players were misbehaving.

He was brought in to bring discpline, the problem was, the owners and the players were misbehaving.

He made matters worse.  Before he arrived we had a problem with Dyer refusing to play against Boro, apart from that it was players speeding in fast cars and pissing in shop doorways.  Souness arrived and the shit hit the fan, things were worse than ever before and it was mainly played out in front of the TV cameras instead of the inside pages of the local rags.

the robson to souness transition was 2nd worst decision ever made by an owner/chairman of nufc since ive been following us.

1st being ashley backing wise and co over keegan.

I would say it's the worst, without the Robson to Souness debacle we probably wouldn't have had Ashley.  I think Sir John was happy with the "Cash Cow" as long as it was filling his pockets.

Guest Heneage

He made matters worse.  Before he arrived we had a problem with Dyer refusing to play against Boro, apart from that it was players speeding in fast cars and pissing in shop doorways.  Souness arrived and the s*** hit the fan, things were worse than ever before and it was mainly played out in front of the TV cameras instead of the inside pages of the local rags.

The way you say that 'racing cars and pissing in doorways.'

When was the last time you saw a Man Utd player pissing in a door way? That attitude is why Souness failed, he needed the upmost support to install discipline in this place. Yes he fucked us up big time, but he had no support.

He should never have been sacked because he shouldn't have been here in the first place.

I've said it before, our appointments under Hall/Shepherd tended to be reactionary to say the least.

Dalglish - wanted a more pragmatic approach as Keegan's team was perceived to be too cavalier.

Gullit - enough of that now, doesn't work and the fans hate it.  Give us sexy football.

Robson - Gullit didn't understand Newcastle's heritage, get a Geordie in (admittedly a Geordie who was a top class coach and in between jobs).

Souness - Robson too soft, let's get a renowned hard man in to bang heads together.

Roeder - was just a soft and easy option really, reasons aren't as clear or bland as with the others.

Allardyce - issues with injuries / players not being as good on the pitch as on paper.  Get in the sports science nut with a reputation for making a team more than the sum of its parts, don't care if the football's shit.

For the record I wasn't against the appointments of the first 3, and the most reactionary appointment was clearly Souness, easily.

When was the last time you saw a Man Utd player pissing in a door way? That attitude is why Souness failed, he needed the upmost support to install discipline in this place. Yes he f***ed us up big time, but he had no support.

Of course he had support, Bellamy was sold because of the spat between the two of them.  Bellamy was arguably our best player at that time and possibly our most valuable asset but we ended up peddling him for peanuts.

By the way, I'd rather have a player racing cars, which isn't actually true as he was just speeding, and I'd rather have a player pissing in doorways than missing drug tests like a certain Man U player.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3333091.stm

the robson to souness transition was 2nd worst decision ever made by an owner/chairman of nufc since ive been following us.

I would say it's the worst, without the Robson to Souness debacle we probably wouldn't have had Ashley.  I think Sir John was happy with the "Cash Cow" as long as it was filling his pockets.

well i originally wrote them out as being equal, but then thought going from top 5 to lower mid table wasn't as bad as going from lower mid table to the championship.

well i originally wrote them out as being equal, but then thought going from top 5 to lower mid table wasn't as bad as going from lower mid table to the championship.

Our second dip was worse than the first, I just don't think we would have had the second if we hadn't of had the first.  We'll never know.

Guest Heneage

When was the last time you saw a Man Utd player pissing in a door way? That attitude is why Souness failed, he needed the upmost support to install discipline in this place. Yes he f***ed us up big time, but he had no support.

Of course he had support, Bellamy was sold because of the spat between the two of them.  Bellamy was arguably our best player at that time and possibly our most valuable asset but we ended up peddling him for peanuts.

By the way, I'd rather have a player racing cars, which isn't actually true as he was just speeding, and I'd rather have a player pissing in doorways than missing drug tests like a certain Man U player.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3333091.stm

That's crazy man, you can put a missed drugs test down to foregetfullness and stupidity, I'm not saying it's the truth but you can. You can't excuse pissing in a doorway, when you're trying to sell a club to fans of all ages from 5 to 95, you need your players to look like model professionals.

Our second dip was worse than the first, I just don't think we would have had the second if we hadn't of had the first.  We'll never know.

And if you had not signed Robson you'd not have signed Sounness afterwards. Causality is a slippery slope. Better take all the events separately.

Can I be a bit controversial? I think it was the second coming of Keegan. Not because of him as a manager, but because it was the time when I realized that your board had truly no plan whatsoever and you were f***ed in the long term (still, I wasn't expecting relegation). As I feared they would just jump the gun again and again (Kinnear, Hughton, Shearer) until disaster abated.

Guest Heneage

I'd rather have players good enough to be playing at the top of the Premier League pissing in shop doorways than model professionals that are division one players.

I fail to see where I stated I wanted the latter?

the N square on the H

I'd seriously open a four(teen) pack if I heard that some deadly bad news had hit Souness.

A grade A cunt of the highest order. The ONLY manager (or player) that I knew would be a disaster from day one. I suspected quite a few where not good enough but have always given them a chance.

I remember that day. Was such a relief after the build up of the months before.

He was winding every one up with his post match interviews, hardly ever spoke about the actual games, just how his "family is important to him" and how he has to "look after himself" continuously dropping hints that he would never resign.

Still a good guy deep down (although it became harder and harder to notice that). Just an utterly terrible manager.