Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Best had already done it all tbh, not everybody peaks in their late 20's. Ronaldo is 24 and wont achieve much more than he has talent wise.

Pele (I know, but he didn't play in a European league)

You're having a laugh, players didn't move around much in those in those days because the pay was similar, was probably more in South American due to the maximum wage, a few English players moved to Columbia in the fifties/sixties for a better wage. So the best leagues were the ones who produced the best players which was clearly Brazil at the time.

Incorrect, he had agreed to move to Real Madrid (not sure when, probably not too long after '58 I imagine), but the Brazilian Government wouldn't let him because he was considered a national treasure, that is why he never played in a top league.

Ronaldo for me, even though he has achieved a lot, never won a Champions League (somehow), was robbed of the best years of his career by injury (even though he won 3 world player of the year awards), and his career probably ended at the age of 30/31, he's 33 now, would be unbelievable if he made the World Cup squad.

Self inflicted - Gazza

Inflicted upon him - Gary Shaw (I think thats his name, the Villa kid who helped them win the European cup but got his leg/knee smashed)

Could have done better - Le Tiss - I know he played for 'his' team, but imagine what could have been if he'd gone to one of the bigger teams.

Incorrect, he had agreed to move to Real Madrid (not sure when, probably not too long after '58 I imagine), but the Brazilian Government wouldn't let him because he was considered a national treasure, that is why he never played in a top league.

There wasn't a top league at the time, Europe didn't offer anything Brazil didn't. There weren't any rich clubs apart from Millonarios in Colombia and Real Madrid. Italy even banned foreigners from 1964-80 and Spain did too in the 60's iirc, Real Madrids 60's European Cup win was their most treasured because the players were all homegrown.

Adriano

Bingo!

This guy really could have been something else. Immense potential and was so young when he started coming through.

Completely threw it away by just being a bum. Maybe we'll sign him in the summer and he'll turn it around.

I think it is unfair to claim players who have had their careers ended or seriously blighted by injury as having wasted their talent. In such a way I'd agree the likes of Woodgate, Dyer and Ashton have had their talent spoiled for them rather than wasted.

In the modern day I'd agree Adriano is probably the best example of someone who could have had it all but threw it away.

Guest firetotheworks

Not sure i would have Dyer and Woodgate down as wasted talents,  there talent is there to see, unfortunately its injuries that have held them back not talent.

It's been wasted because of injury. It's in the OP.

Shearer Id say was someone who made the maximum out of limited talent. His mental strength and intelligent reading of the game allowed him to over-achieve.

Best has to be top of the list. He was the most talented footballer I ever saw, but gave up at the top level at the age of 26. I cant think of another example of a player turning their back on so much ability.

Shearer also had great touch, passing, crossing, shooting and decent pace (before injury) - think he had most of the talent you need to be a world-class player.

It might have been achieved through a load of graft on the training ground, not sure if that makes a difference.

I think it was mainly down to hard graft, which is all to his credit. I'm using the word 'talent' as something that's inborn, rather than developed.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it is unfair to claim players who have had their careers ended or seriously blighted by injury as having wasted their talent. In such a way I'd agree the likes of Woodgate, Dyer and Ashton have had their talent spoiled for them rather than wasted.

In the modern day I'd agree Adriano is probably the best example of someone who could have had it all but threw it away.

Just take it as the same thing. It doesn't have to be self inflicted.

Shearer Id say was someone who made the maximum out of limited talent. His mental strength and intelligent reading of the game allowed him to over-achieve.

Best has to be top of the list. He was the most talented footballer I ever saw, but gave up at the top level at the age of 26. I cant think of another example of a player turning their back on so much ability.

Am I right in thinking that Best fulfilled his very best though, and then turned his back on it? Stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh.

Gazza for me is the biggest one I can think of from my era.

Best did reach the top very early on, being European Footballer of the Year, and a winner of League Championship and European Cup medals, all in his early 20's.

What he failed to do was mature as a player, in the sense of becoming a real leader on the pitch rather than a very talented maverick. Most players do still develop in their late twenties.

Gazza is probably the worst case from more recent times. For all that, he kept battling rather than give up like Best, even though in so many ways he wasn't suited to handling all the pressures.

Guest firetotheworks

This is a bit of a borderline one for me. Im not sure if it was a case of him being a one season wonder, but:

James Beattie.

This is a bit of a borderline one for me. Im not sure if it was a case of him being a one season wonder, but:

James Beattie.

James Beattie.

Francis Jeffers?

Not sure about either of those.

Laurent Robert. Had a magic wand of a left peg. Could've been a top player if hadn't been so... French.

Guest palnese

Wes Brown

In the same group as Dyer and Ashton though.

Michael Johnson. Early days, but his future doesn't look to bright.

I think a lot of people thought Wes Brown was always shit, but is a decent utility defender. If anything, he's overcome his critics.

Jermaine Pennent - Was excellent as a young player, even scored a hatrick against Leeds. Had his chance at Liverpool and although he did quite well for them, was sold.

N'Zogbia

Early but Walcott, it doesn't help that he's always injured, and English playing for Arsenal.

Viduka' date=' Dyer, Bramble, Woodgate, [b']Calogero from A Bronx Tale.[/b]

Anyone else catch that?  :lol: