Dirty Harry - Tax Dodger

NG32

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has appeared in City of Westminster Magistrates' court charged with two counts of tax evasion.

Mr Redknapp, 62, is charged with cheating the public revenue to the sum of about £40,000.

Milan Mandaric, 71, currently the chairman of Leicester City, appeared charged with a similar offence.

Neither entered a plea and both were released on unconditional bail. The case is adjourned until 14 April.

Mr Redknapp, who arrived in a black Mercedes, made no comment to waiting reporters.

He has previously said of the situation: "I've got an awful lot I'd love to say and when the time is right I will say it but I've been advised not to discuss the matter."

Mr Redknapp was in court for a first hearing to organise administrative details of his trial. Neither defendant has entered a plea.

'Non-football matter'

The charges relate to Mr Redknapp's time as Portsmouth manager and concern two payments totalling US $295,000 (£189,000) allegedly made by Mr Mandaric to him via a Monaco account.

Mr Redknapp is accused of evading tax and national insurance contributions between 1 April 2002 and 28 November 2007.

Mr Mandaric owned the football club at the time.

Tottenham Hotspur have said the case will not affect Mr Redknapp's employment because it was a private, non-football matter and pre-dated his tenure at the club.

Since taking over at Tottenham last season, Mr Redknapp has steered the club from the threat of relegation to contention for European qualification.

Portsmouth are mired in financial difficulties and have been unable to pay players on several occasions.

Both men will appear next at Southwark Crown court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8510351.stm

Hope he has got a top top lawyer.

Saying that, he probably likes the look of the Revenues lawyer, but obviously that lawyer doesn't belong to him so he wouldn't dream of talking about it in public, but would be quite fine in talking about not beig comfortabel talking about it

If it were any of us we'd go down.

Well i would like to see her first.

He'll get away with it, he always does.

Unfortunately, that's true, would love to see him get sent down, but it's not gonna happen :(

Fingers crossed the CPS, HMRC and the judge realise that's what everyone in the country thinks and will go all out to make an example of him.

Sky will still make him out to be a hero, whatever happens. I remember Xmas morning live at 'Spurs Lodge' with Jim While basically bucking 'Arry telling him he was the Premier Leagues most popular manager. 'Arry just sort of agreed and accepted a Susan Boyle CD as a gift. I really hate the cunt and his tit of a son.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Only adds to his Dodgy Cockney Del Boy aura. All his previous clubs left in financial ruin, and now being hauled up for dodging the taxman.

I'd rather see him pay the amounts owed twice, plus a fine and then some community service. The Treasury needs all the money they can get, banging him up benefits no-one

Wonder what he would do for community service, grease the chains on the Sandbanks ferry maybe! :harry:

I'd rather see him pay the amounts owed twice, plus a fine and then some community service. The Treasury needs all the money they can get, banging him up benefits no-one

Wonder what he would do for community service, grease the chains on the Sandbanks ferry maybe! :harry:

Clean the toilets of the soon to be owne HM Portsmouth Football Club.

He's rich enough to pay it all back so it won't be a problem. Stealing what you don't need is ok as you can always pay it back if it's absolutely necessary, the problem comes when poor people steal. 

• 2 months later...