Agent claims Given reneged on City commission

Thespence

Let’s say this is true. Let’s ignore the 354 times he turned out for the club, the quality of his performances while he was here, the way he conducted himself, the work he did for charity. Let’s just judge him on the timing and manner and his exit.

Shay is one of the best keepers in Europe. He’s not a Geordie. He’s a professional with a career and a family to consider.  Last January NUFC were a complete shambles. Embarrassing, chaotic and clearly going nowhere for years. It wasn’t one of our normal troubled periods; it was the mother of all f*** ups.  He could have stuck around and risked losing what may very well have been his last chance to play for a club that offered him a chance to win the trophy his talent and dedication deserve. He could have told Man City to shove the financial security they were offering him up their arse, gambled his future on Ashley getting it right at SJP. But he didn’t because unlike you and me he has choice which club he associates himself with; he doesn’t have to let his heart rule his head.

I’m not the only supporter who has questioned why I bother with NUFC since Mr Ashley rolled into town with his tank parking antics and his penis flashing sidekick. Why the f*** anyone thinks Shay Given would/should have put up with anymore s*** at SJP is beyond me. He’d have to have been a complete fuckwit to hang about when he had an offer to join an ambitious club that doesn’t need to shut down the escalators to save money.

Very few players have served NUFC for as long or to such a consistently high standard as Shay Given. Some might choose to slag him off because of some half baked s**** they came across in the media. Myself and many others prefer to judge him on his whole Newcastle career, appreciate what he did when he was here and wish him the best of luck for the future.

:clap:

Some people are unbelievable. Given should have left long before he did. It's sickening to see the bitterness after all he did for the club/community etc.

Guest sittingontheball

I feel daft saying this but I never realised Given's contract was worth seventeen million. Obviously that's what shit loads a week for five years comes to, but still, seventeen phreakin' million! On top of the ten million Crumpy says he must have stuck away here. Maybe with the Ronaldos and the Rooneys you don't begrudge it, but just for a quite good keeper?

Let’s say this is true. Let’s ignore the 354 times he turned out for the club, the quality of his performances while he was here, the way he conducted himself, the work he did for charity. Let’s just judge him on the timing and manner and his exit.

Shay is one of the best keepers in Europe. He’s not a Geordie. He’s a professional with a career and a family to consider.  Last January NUFC were a complete shambles. Embarrassing, chaotic and clearly going nowhere for years. It wasn’t one of our normal troubled periods; it was the mother of all f*** ups.  He could have stuck around and risked losing what may very well have been his last chance to play for a club that offered him a chance to win the trophy his talent and dedication deserve. He could have told Man City to shove the financial security they were offering him up their arse, gambled his future on Ashley getting it right at SJP. But he didn’t because unlike you and me he has choice which club he associates himself with; he doesn’t have to let his heart rule his head.

I’m not the only supporter who has questioned why I bother with NUFC since Mr Ashley rolled into town with his tank parking antics and his penis flashing sidekick. Why the f*** anyone thinks Shay Given would/should have put up with anymore s*** at SJP is beyond me. He’d have to have been a complete fuckwit to hang about when he had an offer to join an ambitious club that doesn’t need to shut down the escalators to save money.

Very few players have served NUFC for as long or to such a consistently high standard as Shay Given. Some might choose to slag him off because of some half baked s**** they came across in the media. Myself and many others prefer to judge him on his whole Newcastle career, appreciate what he did when he was here and wish him the best of luck for the future.

Financial security :lol:

Lets say this is true. Lets ignore the 354 times he turned out for the club, the quality of his performances while he was here, the way he conducted himself, the work he did for charity. Lets just judge him on the timing and manner and his exit.

Shay is one of the best keepers in Europe. Hes not a Geordie. Hes a professional with a career and a family to consider.  Last January NUFC were a complete shambles. Embarrassing, chaotic and clearly going nowhere for years. It wasnt one of our normal troubled periods; it was the mother of all f*** ups.  He could have stuck around and risked losing what may very well have been his last chance to play for a club that offered him a chance to win the trophy his talent and dedication deserve. He could have told Man City to shove the financial security they were offering him up their arse, gambled his future on Ashley getting it right at SJP. But he didnt because unlike you and me he has choice which club he associates himself with; he doesnt have to let his heart rule his head.

Im not the only supporter who has questioned why I bother with NUFC since Mr Ashley rolled into town with his tank parking antics and his penis flashing sidekick. Why the f*** anyone thinks Shay Given would/should have put up with anymore s*** at SJP is beyond me. Hed have to have been a complete fuckwit to hang about when he had an offer to join an ambitious club that doesnt need to shut down the escalators to save money.

Didnt you know only playing for the top few clubs gives footballers financial security!

I don't give a dam what he did before he left, when we needed him the most, he fucked us big time and that is how I will remember him.

Guest toonlass

:laugh2: Aye cos poor old Shay was only 2 paychecks away from living in a cardboard box!

He could have stayed until the end of the season, tried to help us stay up and still left with his financial and moral credit in check.

Lets say this is true. Lets ignore the 354 times he turned out for the club, the quality of his performances while he was here, the way he conducted himself, the work he did for charity. Lets just judge him on the timing and manner and his exit.

Shay is one of the best keepers in Europe. Hes not a Geordie. Hes a professional with a career and a family to consider.  Last January NUFC were a complete shambles. Embarrassing, chaotic and clearly going nowhere for years. It wasnt one of our normal troubled periods; it was the mother of all f*** ups.  He could have stuck around and risked losing what may very well have been his last chance to play for a club that offered him a chance to win the trophy his talent and dedication deserve. He could have told Man City to shove the financial security they were offering him up their arse, gambled his future on Ashley getting it right at SJP. But he didnt because unlike you and me he has choice which club he associates himself with; he doesnt have to let his heart rule his head.

Im not the only supporter who has questioned why I bother with NUFC since Mr Ashley rolled into town with his tank parking antics and his penis flashing sidekick. Why the f*** anyone thinks Shay Given would/should have put up with anymore s*** at SJP is beyond me. Hed have to have been a complete fuckwit to hang about when he had an offer to join an ambitious club that doesnt need to shut down the escalators to save money.

Didnt you know only playing for the top few clubs gives footballers financial security!

I don't give a dam what he did before he left,

So 11 years' service counts for nothing? Had you even heard of Newcastle United 11 years ago?

Guest toonlass

So 11 years' service counts for nothing? Had you even heard of Newcastle United 11 years ago?

:spit:

:spit:

A good point well made.

:clap:

Some people are unbelievable. Given should have left long before he did. It's sickening to see the bitterness after all he did for the club/community etc.

he may well have left earlier had a credible offer came in for him. my guess is he stayed because we were the best deal on offer rather than loyalty or love of the club.

he's a millionaire many times over, why try to screw the club over for a loyalty payment ? i'm not too bothered about the timing, just the fact that he was clearly trying to engineer a amove whilst trying to get the extra payment aswell.

Cracking post Malandro.

Those who whinge on saying he should have stayed until the end of the season are the same ones who would be vilifying him for a lack of loyalty if he had left after relegation. 

I don't think many (or perhaps even any) players have been vilified specifically for a lack of loyalty following relegation.

Guest palnese

For me it's not about that he left, that I do understand. It's about how he fabricated his move.

Fucking cunt.

Cracking post Malandro.

Those who whinge on saying he should have stayed until the end of the season are the same ones who would be vilifying him for a lack of loyalty if he had left after relegation. 

total bollocks

Guest jonlane86

I would have sold Given, but for nearer £12m, or a guarantee of being able to sign Michael Johnson, if thats who the club wanted.

My basis being that we have Harper, Forster and Krul.

I do not believe it would have made much difference if Shay had stayed or left, only thing I disagree with is the transfer fee we actually took.  I have no animosity towards the player either, as its already been said on this thread, why should he stay?  Am I the only one thinking if he'd left in the summer we wouldn't have got as much money for him?

I would have sold Given, but for nearer £12m, or a guarantee of being able to sign Michael Johnson, if thats who the club wanted.

I do not believe it would have made much difference if Shay had stayed or left, only thing I disagree with is the transfer fee we actually took.  I have no animosity towards the player either, as its already been said on this thread, why should he stay?  Am I the only one thinking if he'd left in the summer we wouldn't have got as much money for him?

Think it would have made a difference to have Given in goal instead of Harper. At least in his first games as number 1 Harper looked slow in reacting. Given probably would have saved us a point in all those games which would have kept us up.

We have better prospects coming through anyway.

Prospects mean fuck all as Ben Alnwick was as good a GK as either Krul or FF at youth/reserve level but so far it has not really worked out for him at 1st team level.

This is where you have to trust your staff to spot the difference between a Ben Alnwick (whoever the fuck he is) and a Krul or Forster. Right now I am very pleased that we have these two at the club in place of Given who has milked us for more than enough over his time here.

Regardless of whether Given would have saved what Harper didn't or not, when he made the choice to leave he had no idea what the future held for us.

Fact is, he walked out in the middle of a season when we were scrapping at the bottom. Whether he'd made 400 appearances or 4, he abandoned us when we needed him most.

We have better prospects coming through anyway.

Prospects mean fuck all as Ben Alnwick was as good a GK as either Krul or FF at youth/reserve level but so far it has not really worked out for him at 1st team level.

This is where you have to trust your staff to spot the difference between a Ben Alnwick (whoever the fuck he is) and a Krul or Forster. Right now I am very pleased that we have these two at the club in place of Given who has milked us for more than enough over his time here.

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/a-sunderland-sex-tape-just-in-time-for-the-holidays.html

Think it would have made a difference to have Given in goal instead of Harper. At least in his first games as number 1 Harper looked slow in reacting. Given probably would have saved us a point in all those games which would have kept us up.

Not borne out by the stats.

games   shots   conceded   shots per goal  goals per shot  shots per game  save %  goals per game
Harper  16       83      22          3.77            0.27            5.19            73      1.38
Given   22      109      37          2.95            0.34            4.95            66      1.68

If he'd left 6 months earlier Harper may have saved us a point in all those games which would have kept us up.

I notice this season the team lucky enough to have one of the best keepers in the world has the worst defensive record in the top 10 except for Everton. Given has been so unlucky in his career constantly being stuck behind poor defenders and midfielders making him look bad  ???