Newcastle United 4 - 1 Coventry City - 17/02/10 - post match reaction from pg 17

Dave

Guest icemanblue

Harper - Solid enough, one dodgy moment.  6

Simpson - Looks much better with a proper winger in front of him.  6.5

Williamson - Solid, a couple of misplaced headers but looks a very good foil for Colo.  7

Coloccini - He's the f***ing boss.  8

Van Aanholt - Did ok, a little too negative in possession but defended well enough.  6

Routledge - Tore them a new arsehole, pace, trickery, crossing and what a f***ing goal, my motm.  9

Guthrie - HAS to stay in the middle, but probably wont. Has his weaknesses but I absolutely love his right foot.  8

Nolan - Better in that he was involved in two key moments in either half, still the weak link in the midfield though.  6

Jonas - He would be 'f***ing dynamite' if he had an end product, beat his man so many times I lost count.  8.5

Carroll - Still poor on the ground but I coudn't care less if he continutes to score with his head, fair play.  7

Lovenkrands - Should have scored his header, covered a little too much ground if anything.  6

Best - First impressions aren't great tbh, but we'll see.  5

Pancrate - Fair play to him, ran around and was involved in the final goal.  6

R Taylor - Nice enough finish.  6

I agree with that.  Guthrie was very good as was Routledge and Coloccini class as usual.  Jonas absolutely took the piss out of their right back, most brutal raping I've seen since Monica Bellucci in Irreversible :lol:

:lol: Nicely done.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8027/96797113.jpg

:lol:

Class :lol:

I'm well happy, good goals and a solid win that should keep confidence up high.

Every game left is surely a must-win game, bring on PNE! Things are hotting up..

Guest toonlass

Mr Miyagi: "Ah Wayne-san! You have been practicing the Crane. Remember also wax-on, wax off, and paint the fence!"

Guest Heneage

Mr Miyagi: "Ah Wayne-san! You have been practicing the Crane. Remember also wax-on, wax off, and paint the fence!"

BRRRRAAAP BRRRRAPPP BLUD.

Cracking result, especially after going 1-0 down  :clap: Good to see Routledge get his first, looks a good buy

Once again we play significantly better with 2 wingers on the pitch and no Smith/Butt in the middle. The myth you must have a player to 'just sit in front of the back 4' was exposed again by Guthrie's and Nolan's performances, Guthrie's being probably his best for the club and Nolan's best for months! If you have good movement and wide men to take the pressure off the full backs, you dont always need a defensive midfielder.

Great performance tonight, Jonas & Guthrie were superb tonight, its been a long tme coming for Guthrie to be back in CM but I think now Hughton see's he is wasted on the wing.

As for Jonas when he plays like it makes such a massive difference to us, just love him.

:D

No he doesn't feel he is wasted in the right. Instead he got a right winger now so he have an option of playing him in the middle.

Some of the comments made off the back of the radio commentary are just wrong. We were awful in the first half. Gutherie did ok; his passing at times was dreadful & he is too slow in possession. Just because we were trying to pass through him doesn't make it a good performance. The reason we used Gutherie was 'cos Nolan is as mobile as a one legged, arthritic, elephant. He readily held his hands up for their goal; so that's ok. Sorry lads my fault; useless.

Coventry simply couldn't handle Jonas, they doubled up on him 1st half, but couldn't get near him 2nd half.

Routeledge, Carroll & Lovenkrands all did their bit; back 4 weren't really tested. Leon Best hardly got a kick when he came on.

Jonas looked a bit tight in the leg late on; we can't afford to lose him again & we need Jose back.

Well everyone goes to extemes in their opinions - the radio sounded overly positive and you're taking it the other way. So I reckon it was a decent performance against relatively poor oposition. That's what we need!

I'm trying to put some perspective to this. We were awful 1st half, Hughton was doing his dinger on the touchline.

Jonas was the best player on the pitch my a distance, if the radio commentators were having trouble deciding between Jonas & Gutherie they need therapy. I can remember 5 simple, shortish passes that Gutherie put straight into touch.

It was a great result but a performance that leaves me fearing for away games.

I thought overall it was an excellent performance and a very good result. We were right on top during the 1st half and it was only a matter of time until we came good.

I can't understand why to some on here the opposition are always sh*t when we win. Coventry looked poor but credit has to be given to our team for making an "in form" team look like that.

The effect of two good pacy wingers is really positive on the teams performance, Jonas makes it look so easy and when their full back rugby tackled him out of frustration in the second half it just shows how difficult he is to play against. Andy Carroll is an effective player -potentially a decent centre forward - and probably deserves more credit than he seems to get.

I thought we'd miss Steven Taylor but now I don't think we are. Williamson looks like a very good defender and could prove to be a decent bit of business - I'm pleased we got him rather than Kilgallon.

Had a look at the remaining fixtures, I never count any chickens where NUFC are concerned, but they do look pretty straightforward. Only Forest (H) and Boro (A) look like tricky fixtures to me. That said we've shown too many times before that we can turn easy looking games into difficult ones.

Thought we did fine first half, had lots of possession, looked more threatening, more composed in the ball, generally clearly the better team. Misses the first 5 minutes like cos of the east stand queues and heard they had a few chances early on.

Guest jeffers09

BRRRRAAAP BRRRRAPPP BLUD.

Gun shotsss  :pow:

I had a look at the fixtures today and it seems that Forest have a really difficult run in. They have some tight local derbies against Leicester and Derby as well as us, Blackpool and Swansea away. WBA have a few potential toughies too but I think we can stick it out and win this league by a 5 or 6 point margin. Forest's lack of  squad depth and failure to bring any players in January could come back to bite them.

Well everyone goes to extemes in their opinions - the radio sounded overly positive and you're taking it the other way. So I reckon it was a decent performance against relatively poor oposition. That's what we need!

Agree with this. Pretty good summing up of the game

We desperately need to get our act together away from home, thats for sure though.

And if the lad infront of us doesn't stop farting I am going to start taking the most girly smelling body spray I can find and start spraying him. f***ing rank it was and he has been doing it every game for 2 years now. Dirty b******!

Well TELL the dirty inconsiderate moron ! Nothing more embarrasing than being told such by a woman.

Guest toonlass

Agree with this. Pretty good summing up of the game

We desperately need to get our act together away from home, thats for sure though.

And if the lad infront of us doesn't stop farting I am going to start taking the most girly smelling body spray I can find and start spraying him. f***ing rank it was and he has been doing it every game for 2 years now. Dirty b******!

Well TELL the dirty inconsiderate moron ! Nothing more embarrasing than being told such by a woman.

He was told by several people last night including me and has been before. It truly is vile and it must have been about 10 times last night. Awful.

Guest Brazilianbob

Was Mike Ashley at the match last night?  I haven't seen any photos of him at matches lately.  Are the media leaving him alone or has he stopped going?

Great match last night thought we were in for a tense game when they scored thank fuck for Routledge! I thought everyone played well, Nolan especially improved after setting up Carroll. Van Anholt is pretty annoying imo he gets forward but hardly ever crosses the ball into the box. In fact last night is the first time I've seen him do it which led to Carroll almost scoring a second. If he started putting more balls in I think we would be alot more effective.

Thought the Coventry fans were good, particualrly enjoyed their mexican waves  ;D