Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

There is a world outside the English leagues. I mean... We should start looking for cheaper and better players in Argentina, Brazil, Norway, Sweden, France...

This.

Work permits become an issue for anyone that isn't an established international.

Completely different style of game too so adaptability would be an issue.

... and attitude of Brazilian players. Sometimes they're fat and unmotivated after they got the big money. Sometimes they simply go home because some of their relatives had died or something like that.

There is a world outside the English leagues. I mean... We should start looking for cheaper and better players in Argentina, Brazil, Norway, Sweden, France...

This.

Work permits become an issue for anyone that isn't an established international.

... and attitude of Brazilian players. Sometimes they're fat and unmotivated after they got the big money. Sometimes they simply go home because some of their relatives had died or something like that.

There are without a doubt some hidden gems of talented footballers over there. IMO of the South American countries, the  Argies/Paraguayans (harder working/used to the cooler climate - well the Argies anyway) are perhaps better suited to the EPL in comparison to the other countries like  the Brazilians/Colombian players.

As for the work permit issue, you are right. A higher proportion of Argentine players have (legitimate!) Spanish / Italian (in particular) passports though compared to the other countries though. Hope we don`t dismiss the idea of looking over there. Certainly there are some potential bargains to be had.

This.

There are without a doubt some hidden gems of talented footballers over there. IMO of the South American countries, the  Argies/Paraguayans (harder working/used to the cooler climate - well the Argies anyway) are perhaps better suited to the EPL in comparison to the other countries like  the Brazilians/Colombian players.

As for the work permit issue, you are right. A higher proportion of Argentine players have (legitimate!) Spanish / Italian (in particular) passports though compared to the other countries though. Hope we don`t dismiss the idea of looking over there. Certainly there are some potential bargains to be had.

Could add Chile/Uruguay to that list n all. For me the main problem with buying direct from South America would be making sure the players had the stamina/physicality in their game to cope with British football, from what i saw when i was over there the game is a lot slower, the ball is nearly always passed out from the back, defenders seemed to be encouraged to take risks to avoid just booting it long.

On a related note its a shame Diego Buonanotte was in that car crash as he looked some talent.

Guest Roger Kint

On a related note its a shame Diego Buonanotte was in that car crash as he looked some talent.

You are right about talent but his tiny frame would hardly be suited to the English game

You are right about talent but his tiny frame would hardly be suited to the English game

Aye i know he makes Messi big, strange how all the Argie players are short arses, defenders included, can't remember them being short as a whole when there.

It may be wishful thinking but what about someone like Sakho, PSG centre back. Haven't seen much of him but he is French U-21 captain and has captained PSG. He's also pretty damn fantastic on FM  :pow:

There are plenty of talented players in the French league that will be much cheaper than similar players in the English leagues.

we were after him a couple of years back. might be time to resurrect our interest.

From what i have seen as to who would be on a free i would go for Scharner, Larsson a decent cb(i think we should start playing Taylor rb, imo, he looked decent while playing there last season). Which owuld leave money for a back up lb and a winger and maybe Guerero(never seen or heard of him but he seems to have had some decent reviews by people on here.

What about players from Lyon and Bordaux? Lyon always seems to do well in the CL year after year. Weird, because I always get the feeling they are selling their best players but somehow they manage to replace them.

I doubt they would come but if they did they would be more than welcome. How come they are Free transfers, don't like their clubs ?

I'm only going off the site that was posted earlier. Neither are first choice in their respective sides however.

Kim Kallstrom and Hamit Altintop on free transfers?  :coolsmiley:

Altintop seems quite realistic as he wants probably away from Bayern. Could more imagine that he would go to Schalke, though. (his brother plays there) Maybe too old, that's the only problem.

Quick list of reasonable attainable & available free's from david28's link....

England

Bouma, Ridgewell, Lawrence, Cohen, Andranik, Ledley, Whittingham, Bodde, Kebe, Beckford, Shelvey

France

M.Dabo, Clerc, Perrin, Ebondo, Feghouli

Germany

Guererro, Hasebe, Altintop (x2), Hillbert

Spain

Diego Costa, Albin, Godin

Italy

Coda, Biabiany, Biaginati, Martinez, Consigli

France

Would certainly be worth looking into those two. Clerc is more experienced and I would assume more talented then Simpson, having played at Champions League level and wasn't Feghouli being touted as the next Zidane a year or two ago. Obviously this doesn't mean anything but the kid must have some ability.

Guest Heneage

England

Bouma, Ridgewell, Lawrence, Cohen, Andranik, Ledley, Whittingham, Bodde, Kebe, Beckford, Shelvey

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

Guerrero's record isn't great.

England

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

Isn't great but it isn't bad either. 27 goals in about 90 games. I think he would be the right sort of player we should be looking for.

England

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

Isn't great but it isn't bad either. 27 goals in about 90 games. I think he would be the right sort of player we should be looking for.

1 in 3 is a very decent record IMO.

speaking of Peruvian strikers. Remember Jefferson Farfan? doesn`t seem to be as prolific at Schalke unlike his PSV days but haven`t seen much of him lately. His strike partner ,Kuranyi is in excellent form (and available on a free  :laugh2: )

England

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

speaking of Peruvian strikers. Remember Jefferson Farfan? doesn`t seem to be as prolific at Schalke unlike his PSV days but haven`t seen much of him lately. Kuranyi is in excellent form (and available on a free  :laugh2: )

Again, Kuranyi will never come here. He'll either stay at Schalke or go to a top club. I doubt he would like to play in the premiership. I wouldn't even want him as he's an absolute cunt.

Don't really know about Farfan but doubt he'll leave Schalke. Having said that - Magath said in the last transfer window that "every player but Manuel Neuer could leave the club if the offer would be right" - so you never know.

In other news: Cacau of Stuttgart just said he'll leave the club after the season. Hasn't said where he'll go yet.

Guest geordienorway

Loic Remy wants to leave after being harrassed by Nice's fans. Such a good player, but the competition will be stiff. Matuidi, Hoarau and Dia would also strengthen our squad.

England

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

speaking of Peruvian strikers. Remember Jefferson Farfan? doesn`t seem to be as prolific at Schalke unlike his PSV days but haven`t seen much of him lately. His strike partner ,Kuranyi is in excellent form (and available on a free  :laugh2: )

Been playing on the wing i think.

Juan Albin insists he will not decide on his future until the end of the season, amid speculation he has agreed a deal with Newcastle.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6067085,00.html

Interesting.

The little town he is from has produced Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani too. Must have put something in the water circa 86/87.