NUFC's Most succesfull manager ever = Hughton

Rob W

Guest jonlane86

Tell you what, when KK was here the 1st time was he getting the plaudits he deserved back then or were people saying let's just wait and see how he does halfway through a premier league season!! Were they hell, they were singing his name and calling him all the best things under the sun! Hughton has done a great job under extreme pressure from all the crap that had gone on in the boardroom etc... Kk had unity and a whole new backing when he was here that season

hughton has done a fantastic job, then throw in the ridiculous circumstances he has had to work in and it makes it an even better job.

People need to get off his back a bit and appreciate the job he's done. He can only beat the opposition put in front of him   

Hughton Top Flight Record:

2006-07

Man United (a) 6-0 defeat

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

West Ham United (a) 3-1 defeat

Blackburn Rovers (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

West Bromwich Albion (a) 3-2 win

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Man United (h) 1-2 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

So lets judge Chris on the opposition he's been given in top flight management

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

That is a possible 6 points out of 33, 6 of those games we were playing 'beatable' opposition, and thats not including Everton at home which at the time I thought was a shoe in.

I wouldn't blame anyone for having doubts after looking at those stats.

That was Pearson. I don't believe Hughton was even at the club at that time.

oops

It will be interesting to see how Hughton fares in the premier next season with his own squad which he has moulded and prepared rather than someone else's misfiring left overs. If he does as badly as many people seem to think then he will deserve to be judged on it. Sneering at his efforts when he was cast into the job with a club in turmoil last season isn't really being objective.

Guest jonlane86

It will be interesting to see how Hughton fares in the premier next season with his own squad which he has moulded and prepared rather than someone else's misfiring left overs. If he does as badly as many people seem to think then he will deserve to be judged on it. Sneering at his efforts when he was cast into the job with a club in turmoil last season isn't really being objective.

If we get promoted he will have done an excellent job.  No doubt he has an ability to man-manage successfully and inspire his players to get the right results, though how many times can you look at a match we've played and say that we've played well for both halves?  Also why did he insist on playing Smith and Nolan in the centre and Guthrie wide right on Saturday?  If we play like we have this season next year, we'll be torn apart and struggle to get 30 points.

We need to build further in the summer if we do go up to sustain Premiership status and my confidence in his ability to pick the right attacking players to come in isn't 100% at the moment.  He's signed Routledge and Best so far, and judging from their performances I can only see them working well in the Championship at best, and not progressing at the next level.  I know we can only judge him on what he's done, but if we get similar signings in the summer I'll be extremely concerned.....

Guest toonlass

I just don't get why people slate Hughton continuously. Ok so he isn't Mr Charisma, but we are still top of the league and looking to be heading straight back up. There were loads of Newcastle fans (not necessarily on here) who were saying there was no way we would be heading straight back up this season, and who had us written off before a ball was kicked in August. Personally I think he has gotten the attitude in the dressing room spot on, he makes some mistakes with his substitutions at times (i.e. not giving attacking players long enough when he brings them on) but then again he has brought on Ryan Taylor and Pancrate on twice  on in the last two games and got a goal from it. It would be madness not to let him have a go in the Premiership if we go up in the summer, but Mike Ashley has to back him financially to a decent level or we will be fucked whether we have Hughton or Alex Ferguson. 

Guest michaelfoster

if im not mistaken, his contract runs out in january so if we are in a pickle then he can be gracefully be said goodbye too....

When Hughton joined the club as coach he signed a contract to 2011, then when he became manager the length of his contract stayed the same with a new title and probably a wage rise.

Tell you what, when KK was here the 1st time was he getting the plaudits he deserved back then or were people saying let's just wait and see how he does halfway through a premier league season!! Were they hell, they were singing his name and calling him all the best things under the sun! Hughton has done a great job under extreme pressure from all the crap that had gone on in the boardroom etc... Kk had unity and a whole new backing when he was here that season

hughton has done a fantastic job, then throw in the ridiculous circumstances he has had to work in and it makes it an even better job.

People need to get off his back a bit and appreciate the job he's done. He can only beat the opposition put in front of him   

2006-07

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

That is a possible 6 points out of 33, 6 of those games we were playing 'beatable' opposition, and thats not including Everton at home which at the time I thought was a shoe in.

I don't recall losing 1-0 at home to Bolton last year.

Hughtons Tottenham stint - 6 games 3 wins 2 draws 1 losses

Hughtons first - 4 games 0 wins 0 draws 4 losses

Hughtons second (exactly the same as Shearer did stats wise) - 8 games 1 win 2 draws 5 losses

Total = 18 games 4 wins 4 draws 10 losses in the Premiership.

All caretaker games though, and mean sod all in my opinion.

If we go up, I'd have no problem backing the club in giving him a crack as manager in the top flight if that is what they decided to do.

Guest WashyGeordie

2006-07

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

It's flawed anyway, as it can't be Hughton's managerial record when Pearson was in charge of the 6-0 demolishing at Man Yoo, and Kinnear for some of the other games, ie. Everton away.

Guest jonlane86

2006-07

2007-08

Hull City (h) 1-2 defeat

Everton (a) 2-2 draw

Everton (h) 0-0 draw

Bolton (h) 0-1 defeat

Hull City (a) 1-1 draw

Arsenal (h) 1-3 defeat

Played - 11

Won - 1

Drawn - 3

Lost - 7

Goals for - 11

Goals against - 24

Clean Sheets - 1

It's flawed anyway, as it can't be Hughton's managerial record when Pearson was in charge of the 6-0 demolishing at Man Yoo, and Kinnear for some of the other games, ie. Everton away.

IN MY DEFENCE:

I screwed up over the Man U Pearson game, and it should have read Bolton (a).

I just don't get why people slate Hughton continuously. Ok so he isn't Mr Charisma, but we are still top of the league and looking to be heading straight back up. There were loads of Newcastle fans (not necessarily on here) who were saying there was no way we would be heading straight back up this season, and who had us written off before a ball was kicked in August. Personally I think he has gotten the attitude in the dressing room spot on, he makes some mistakes with his substitutions at times (i.e. not giving attacking players long enough when he brings them on) but then again he has brought on Ryan Taylor and Pancrate on twice  on in the last two games and got a goal from it. It would be madness not to let him have a go in the Premiership if we go up in the summer, but Mike Ashley has to back him financially to a decent level or we will be f***ed whether we have Hughton or Alex Ferguson. 

If Hughton deserves to stay because of what we've done so far this season then so does Nicky Butt, so does Alan Smith and so does every other player who as pulled on a shirt for us this season.  Will you and others be happy for us to start next season with the same squad as we have now because of what the players have done in this division?

If Hughton deserves to stay because of what we've done so far this season then so does Nicky Butt, so does Alan Smith and so does every other player who as pulled on a shirt for us this season.  Will you and others be happy for us to start next season with the same squad as we have now because of what the players have done in this division?

That is not really a fair comparison. There is pretty clear consensus that Butt is not up to it and that would include Hughton.

Smith was doing well early on but has faded ... and like above, even Hughton knows this.

I just don't get why people slate Hughton continuously. Ok so he isn't Mr Charisma, but we are still top of the league and looking to be heading straight back up. There were loads of Newcastle fans (not necessarily on here) who were saying there was no way we would be heading straight back up this season, and who had us written off before a ball was kicked in August. Personally I think he has gotten the attitude in the dressing room spot on, he makes some mistakes with his substitutions at times (i.e. not giving attacking players long enough when he brings them on) but then again he has brought on Ryan Taylor and Pancrate on twice  on in the last two games and got a goal from it. It would be madness not to let him have a go in the Premiership if we go up in the summer, but Mike Ashley has to back him financially to a decent level or we will be f***ed whether we have Hughton or Alex Ferguson. 

:clap:

That is not really a fair comparison. There is pretty clear consensus that Butt is not up to it and that would include Hughton.

Smith was doing well early on but has faded ... and like above, even Hughton knows this.

It's entirely fair, the players have achieved the same as the manager, why are double standards fair?

Guest guinness_fiend

:lol:

Hughton has managed to plug holes in a sinking ship, picked up a few decent players on the cheap who are doing the business and has guided us to top of the league.  I see no problem with this achievement.  If Shearer had done the same thing, everyone would be rimming him.  People have taken a dislike to Hughton because, nice bloke or not, *we* didn't choose him. 

If there's one thing about our fans, we cannot stand to have someone forced upon us.  We want to pull the strings at all times.  That's fine, but rumour has it no-one wanted to take the poisoned chalice at the beginning of the season.  Shearer went AWOL and no managers of worth were linked to us.  Hughton has pulled us up by the bootstraps and is doing a pretty canny job considering all of the prophecies propagated by the harbingers of doom at the end of last season.  Where are Middlesbrough this season - they were meant to be dead certs for a promotion battle? He has my respect for doing his job well, quietly and without complaint, despite having to put up with a bunch of ungrateful bastards in the shape of a selection of our support. 

What else could he be doing right?  I'm not aware that *any* manager has had a flawless season and we're on target to match some of the highest points totals on record.  We may not be playing "sexy football" and some of our player may be underperforming, but every club has these problems.  The team will only grow under Hughton and, given some trust in the transfer market, who is to say that he wouldn't be able to pull a few rabbits out of the hat?

As for your Smith and Butt comment - you know what, I'd keep them both as squad players until such time as we're fortunate enough to be in a position where top-drawer players actually want to come to us.  If they don't perform in the Premiership, as for all you know they might do given it'll likely be the start of their respective swansongs, we can get rid then.  It's not often that newly-promoted teams can have two proven England internationals as reserves.  As impact players, Smith especially can still do a job.

I'm going to be positive until such time as I have cause to be otherwise. 

Guest toonlass

Read the bit in bold, aye?

Because Hughton has sat Butt. And Smith. And the team continues to be successful. No, it hasn't been pretty. But he's produced results.

Bolton are playing better football since Coyle arrived, but the results haven't been there. Given the players available -- the lack of pace and creativity in the midfield, Hughton has produced a team that is top of the league ahead of clubs (WBA and Swansea) that play "better" football,  that pass the ball...

Can't argue against him. Good purchases, top of the league and we kept hold of a group of players who are prem quality. If we go up he will need some money, no doubt, but our squad isn't that bad, a couple of signings (striker, center mid and maybe a right back) and we would stay up.