Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

im just enjoying the wins, cos I believe he will destroy it all for a short term gain.

Based on what exactly? Build me a scenario here.

If we are talking players, despite all the gnashing of teeth every transfer period saying we'll flog our best players and bring in freebies, when has this actually occured under Ashley? When have these fears over his asset stripping tendancies ever borne fruit? Any decent player has left for their own reasons; not one player has been forced out.

ive never built one before but............

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv108/centerpaddock82/buildmeascenario.jpg

That's a quality scenario, thank you. :lol:

im just enjoying the wins, cos I believe he will destroy it all for a short term gain.

If we are talking players, despite all the gnashing of teeth every transfer period saying we'll flog our best players and bring in freebies, when has this actually occured under Ashley? When have these fears over his asset stripping tendancies ever borne fruit? Any decent player has left for their own reasons; not one player has been forced out.

:lol: :lol:

Btw the single most important thing Ashley and his gang needs to do (aside from give Hughton the contract he deserves) is continue to shut the fuck up.

Pretty much this.  I think he should be letting his actions do the talking.

:lol:

I think the right trophy signing could make some of our fringe players a whole lot better. A playmaker could make a hughe difference for us. Imagine a good Riquelme style of player instead of Nolan and we would have a brutal 4-2-3-1. Nolan would still be the perfect squad player for away games against Stoke and such..

I think all of the progress we have made this season is in spite of Mike Ashley, as opposed to anything he has done.  The best thing he has done was appoint Houghton, but I don't think that was because he though that Chris was the man to take us forward - he was a cheap, last minute solution and its no credit to Ashley that it is working out well.

The PR of the club is still an absolute disgrace (does Derek Llambias still work for the club and if so, what does he do?) and I refuse to believe that the "club for sale" rumours are just press talk - this had to come from inside the club somewhere.  If the rumours are to be believed then any prospective new owner will have to take on £90m debt as well - so much for Ashley paying off all the debts.  Don't get me wrong I can see why he'd want his money back, but why say the debts are paid if they are not.

Come January just do not sell anyone.. FFS DO NOT SELL!!!

Not even Alan Smith?

Even Alan Smith (He can be sold after the season once we've survived, as he is our VC so he must have some influence in the dressing room)

I think all of the progress we have made this season is in spite of Mike Ashley, as opposed to anything he has done.  The best thing he has done was appoint Houghton, but I don't think that was because he though that Chris was the man to take us forward - he was a cheap, last minute solution and its no credit to Ashley that it is working out well.

The PR of the club is still an absolute disgrace (does Derek Llambias still work for the club and if so, what does he do?) and I refuse to believe that the "club for sale" rumours are just press talk - this had to come from inside the club somewhere.  If the rumours are to be believed then any prospective new owner will have to take on £90m debt as well - so much for Ashley paying off all the debts.  Don't get me wrong I can see why he'd want his money back, but why say the debts are paid if they are not.

Ashley may have just stumbled upon Chris, but he has also stuck with him, backed him, and both apparently have a good working relationship, which while they should all be givens, that's not always the case. This has been part of (or a catalyst leading to) the stated policy of promoting from within (where possible) which is also commendable imho, hopefully moving away from the disastrous stumbling from one managerial outfits philosophy to the next.

As for not knowing what Llambias does; if you're questioning why he's keeping fairly quiet, that it probably for the best to be fair. But it's been pretty clear from quotes from Hughton and various reports that apart from the overseeing the running of the club in general, he is also integral to the sanctioning and persuit of players, bringing in the likes of Tiote and Arfa among others on particularly good deals, as well as sorting out contracts for the likes of Carrol, and getting decent money in for any wantaways. Not a total disaster then.

And the club for sale rumours being an insider drumming up interest on the sly? I find that pretty far fetched, but it all depends on how you choose to see things really. Clearly you remain sceptical, and fair play to you for that, but I hope and genuinly do believe that while they have made some god awful decisions along the way, they are not the malicious buffoons you would have them be.

Guest Tall Striker

Best signing in January would be Hughton by a country mile

It'll be like having a new player.

Best signed last year.

For a guy with Mike Ashley's recent track record, not making an immense blunder and fucking things up = steering us in the right direction. You could argue things are happening despite Ashley, but at least he isn't stopping them happening, which for him is a big step forward.

Can't see he's done much wrong for about 18 months now. The current direction has us at fifth in the Premier League. We've got a great young manager, a team that looks ready to die for the cause, and some very promising up-and-coming players. It could all be so very much worse, and to me it feels better at the moment than it has done since, well... since the retirement of Bobby, probably.

If Ashley was to take all the flack for relegation, he should get at least some of the credit for how well we've bounced back from it.

Ashley may have just stumbled upon Chris, but he has also stuck with him, backed him, and both apparently have a good working relationship, which while they should all be givens, that's not always the case. This has been part of (or a catalyst leading to) the stated policy of promoting from within (where possible) which is also commendable imho, hopefully moving away from the disastrous stumbling from one managerial outfits philosophy to the next.

As for not knowing what Llambias does; if you're questioning why he's keeping fairly quiet, that it probably for the best to be fair. But it's been pretty clear from quotes from Hughton and various reports that apart from the overseeing the running of the club in general, he is also integral to the sanctioning and persuit of players, bringing in the likes of Tiote and Arfa among others on particularly good deals, as well as sorting out contracts for the likes of Carrol, and getting decent money in for any wantaways. Not a total disaster then.

And the club for sale rumours being an insider drumming up interest on the sly? I find that pretty far fetched, but it all depends on how you choose to see things really. Clearly you remain sceptical, and fair play to you for that, but I hope and genuinly do believe that while they have made some god awful decisions along the way, they are not the malicious buffoons you would have them be.

Yeah, I suspect you are right - I am pretty cynical about the whole thing until something happens that proves me wrong.  I am sure we have been here before, with rumours coming out about the club being for sale and then it turning out to be true (but, lack of evidence prevents me from proving this one way or the other :) ).

On the plus side, as others have mentioned he has sanctioned the signing of Tiote and Ben Arfa and one thing he has done, which I totally agree with is trying to bring in good, young players as opposed to the mercenaries we have had in the past (Owen for example  :angry: ).  I still think that 90% or more of the credit must go to Houghton and the players - they seem to have developed almost a bunker mentality where adversity makes them stronger.

Guest guinness_fiend

For me, Ashley and co. are 100% responsible for driving things forward  behind the scenes and the stability on the pitch has a lot to do with this. Ashley is, after all, a businessman and despite making some dreadful (if well-intentioned) decisions at the beginning of his tenure, this is the most comfortable I have felt for a long time.

As for on the pitch, Hughton and the players should take full credit for a terrific start to the season.

I for one cannot wait for the treble signing of Reina, Gerrard and Torres in January...

In what must have been Ashley's darkest NUFC hour, just after relegation, himself almost universally unpopular and unwanted, a big squad on top Premier league salaries, a legendary hero manager he'd publically backed but probably realised wasn't up to the job and the club sale going nowhere, I wonder how close he did come to just walking and letting the whole thing crumble.

I'm sure even his dogmatic self must have sought advice from people close to him - did they talk him in to continuing ?

If I'd been him I'd have walked - after all he probably has no real emotional connection to the club or region - and the finances involved - although large - are not unheard of as written off amounts after risky business moves go wrong. He certainly wasn't wanted around here.

As it happens he stayed - possibly by default as there were no buyers - he appointed Hughton - a lucky break, although who's to say Ipswich appointing Bobby Robson and Liverpool Shankly weren't just lucky breaks as well (not that I'd compare Hughton to those two of course, well not yet anyway) and when the time came he backed his manager in the market and ensured the squad was right to finish the job of being promoted successfully. Back in the Premier league more modest but sensible investment and so far so good.

Only a fool would try to second guess Ashley and football is a very fickle business nowadays, however if he sticks to his original plan of nurturing our own talent, financial self sustainability, modest extra investment (£20M pa) from himself and sets up a management team who continue to engender the pride and commitment we're seeing right now, then it's probably fair to say he's steering us in the right direction.

With a little bit more luck who knows ? We'll see.

In what must have been Ashley's darkest NUFC hour, just after relegation, himself almost universally unpopular and unwanted, a big squad on top Premier league salaries, a legendary hero manager he'd publically backed but probably realised wasn't up to the job and the club sale going nowhere, I wonder how close he did come to just walking and letting the whole thing crumble.

I'm sure even his dogmatic self must have sought advice from people close to him - did they talk him in to continuing ?

If I'd been him I'd have walked - after all he probably has no real emotional connection to the club or region - and the finances involved - although large - are not unheard of as written off amounts after risky business moves go wrong. He certainly wasn't wanted around here.

As it happens he stayed - possibly by default as there were no buyers - he appointed Hughton - a lucky break, although who's to say Ipswich appointing Bobby Robson and Liverpool Shankly weren't just lucky breaks as well (not that I'd compare Hughton to those two of course, well not yet anyway) and when the time came he backed his manager in the market and ensured the squad was right to finish the job of being promoted successfully. Back in the Premier league more modest but sensible investment and so far so good.

Only a fool would try to second guess Ashley and football is a very fickle business nowadays, however if he sticks to his original plan of nurturing our own talent, financial self sustainability, modest extra investment (£20M pa) from himself and sets up a management team who continue to engender the pride and commitment we're seeing right now, then it's probably fair to say he's steering us in the right direction.

good points., but.

nah hes a cunt.

Honestely, he deserves part of the credit for where we are atm along with the players, CH & the staff. Regardless of the decisions during that season, he now has a serious plan that involves us being self sustained & nurturing young talent. Lucky or not, I believe he's trying to do his best for the sake of his investment.

Ashley continues to act with the sole aim of getting as much of his money back as possible. Alignment of those aim with the hopes of the fans is coincidental.

The club is up for sale, it always has been- now Ashley senses that our good run could tempt a 'more money than sense' buyer to make good all the money that he lost becuase of his own foolishness. Why spoil that by locking in a manager to an expensive contract. If a new owner has to pay out £2m to bring in another manager, then that's £2m off the sale price and £2m less in Ashley's pocket.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if interested parties are going through the books before Christmas.

good points., but.

nah hes a cunt.

:lol:

On an unrelated note, have you been to Soccer Circus yet? What's it like?