Newcastle United 6 - 1 Barnsley - 06/03/10 - post match reaction from page 18

Nate

This is classic N-O. We just won 6-1 but why be happy when you can start up another boring Ashley argument instead!

Honestly wish it was confined to N-O.  Without a doubt there are these arguments going on around the river Tyne right now.

Change the record about the fans mate - if you're not basing it on N-O then I haven't got a clue what else you're basing it on since you're not from the area.  Not playing the "whey, I'm a local superfan" card as I don't even live in the North East at the minute, but you seem to snipe at the fans all the time.  I thought this was based on the bipolar views you get on this forum, but apparently not if the comment above is owt to go by.  I've held my tongue about this for a while because you seem a decent kid and that, but you're always having a go at the fans when they're the main positive attribute of the club, even if there are a few clowns.

Oh and to say these arguments are "going on around the river Tyne right now" - they won't be mate, people will have just been out getting pissed and jolly after a great win, simple as.

Guest malandro

The problem with that approach is it will make it easy for them to revert to type. That’s if they have changed their ways, which is highly debatable. Until we’re 100% certain he isn’t just playing us for fools again it’s in the best interests of the club to keep the pressure on. This doesn’t mean we have to organise a lynch mob or even carry on with the FCB chants, only that we don’t trust him on the flimsiest of evidence.

This is why I keep banging on about the loans. The only way they can be repaid is by using any profits the club makes, and the only way the club can make sufficiently large profits is by gambling on staying up on a shoestring. This would be very bad for our long term prospects, but very good for Mike’s bank balance. All this stuff about having a transfer war chest in two years time may be true, or it may be ruse to make sure we keep on handing over our cash long enough for Ashley to get his money back. I don’t know which is true, but I do know our ‘success’ this season has resulted in a lot of people taking their eye of the ball.

I'm not miles away from your thinking but the proof of what he has done so far is that he's taking nothing out of the club and he's said that he'll never take anything out.  So far the clubs accounts have backed that up and he's put more than ever in this season, he can't do any more than he's done.

So far being the thing. Hopefully you’re right and I’m wrong.

Whatever the long term holds next season is going to be a different kettle of fish if we go up, which barring a drastic reversal of fortune we will. I trust there will be no booing at SJP, no calls for Hughton to be replaced, and no criticism of Ashley’s commitment to the welfare of NUFC from those who are so eager to give him the benefit of the doubt this season.

I think that sort of behaviour is more likely to come from tits who only registered on this site recently to post their agenda driven poison really. Oops! I wasn't talking about you honestly!

Nah, it’ll be from those long time contributors whose laughably fickle meanderings make a mockery of their misguided sense of their own importance.

This is classic N-O. We just won 6-1 but why be happy when you can start up another boring Ashley argument instead!

Honestly wish it was confined to N-O.  Without a doubt there are these arguments going on around the river Tyne right now.

Change the record about the fans mate - if you're not basing it on N-O then I haven't got a clue what else you're basing it on since you're not from the area.  Not playing the "whey, I'm a local superfan" card as I don't even live in the North East at the minute, but you seem to snipe at the fans all the time.  I thought this was based on the bipolar views you get on this forum, but apparently not if the comment above is owt to go by.  I've held my tongue about this for a while because you seem a decent kid and that, but you're always having a go at the fans when they're the main positive attribute of the club, even if there are a few clowns.

Oh and to say these arguments are "going on around the river Tyne right now" - they won't be mate, people will have just been out getting pissed and jolly after a great win, simple as.

well, someone had to say it.  :lol:

So true...so very true  :tongue3:

What is singing anti Ashley songs going to achieve?

What does singing anything achieve?  :rolleyes:

The usual suspects at it again in this thread. Week in week out  ;D

Everyone just continues to throw around this myth about people in the LC thinking they're better than everyone else, yet when asked for evidence seem to have very little else to say. It's cringeworthy that we even need to pick holes with a part of the ground that always does its best to get behind the team when the only issue is what songs they're singing. I hate quite a few of the songs, nowt worse than the whole 'Easy' goal celebration that seems to pop its head up now and then. But chants towards away fans would otherwise just be dead silence in the ground. You can only sing for so long before everyone starts giving up (the first half was piss poor today, btw). Banter with away fans is part of football. You're not going to just stand there as one set of fans is giving you stick?! I really don't see the problem other than the cringeworthy constant singing of 'Your support is f***ing s***'.

Also have to say, the amount of people who joined in with 'Stand up if you love the toon' was embarrassing today. Must have been about 5/6-0 and only a couple hundred in the lower Leazes stood. No problems with people not being able to hear if they manage to stand all the way in the NE corner, it was loud as f*** in the LC.  And lastly, I sang the FCB chant at the match, and I'll sing it for as long as it's sung in the ground. I f***ing hate Mike Ashley, I think the blokes a c***. If you find this hard to grasp then the problem is yours I'm afraid.

Thanks for the opinion "kid" but sometimes not being close - or anywhere near (in the geographical sense, especially from a different country where team support is far different) - the general fan base gives you a unique view point that isn't layered under the general "newcastle fans are the best in the country" attitude that I see a lot of.  My opinion is equally as valid as yours and just because I am not blinded by the so-called "rose colored lenses" doesn't mean it means any less than yours. 

Do we have the best fans?  Yes I think so.

Are we sometimes very far off base?  Yes, definitely.

I catch a lot of shit because sometimes I find our support to be a bit fickle but I don't think that's a really unfair assessment of the situation.  I don't really read any papers (in fact I find the English/British "paper" system quite fake and hard to take) so I don't buy into the big press bias that loves to put us down when we're doing well.  It's just something that I've noticed, especially on these boards.  Sure I am not in the pubs day in/day out in Newcastle but I feel like that isn't necessarily a bad thing and can help remove me from a lot of the local/regional/national bias that engulfs our club.

Like I said, do I think we have the best fans?  Definitely.  Do we need some work?  Of course.

Thanks for the opinion "kid" but sometimes not being close - or anywhere near (in the geographical sense, especially from a different country where team support is far different) - the general fan base gives you a unique view point that isn't layered under the general "newcastle fans are the best in the country" attitude that I see a lot of.  My opinion is equally as valid as yours and just because I am not blinded by the so-called "rose colored lenses" doesn't mean it means any less than yours. 

I catch a lot of shit because sometimes I find our support to be a bit fickle but I don't think that's a really unfair assessment of the situation.  I don't really read any papers (in fact I find the English/British "paper" system quite fake and hard to take) so I don't buy into the big press bias that loves to put us down when we're doing well.  It's just something that I've noticed, especially on these boards.  Sure I am not in the pubs day in/day out in Newcastle but I feel like that isn't necessarily a bad thing and can help remove me from a lot of the local/regional/national bias that engulfs our club.

Like I said, do I think we have the best fans?  Definitely.  Do we need some work?  Of course.

:lol: Wind yer neck in with the kid thing - I didn't mean that in a condescending way at all.  Quite the opposite in fact as I was saying I thought you were a nice lad.

You've not really addressed what I was getting at tbh, your comment being:

All you've done is reinforce what I've just pointed out - that your perception of our fans is based on this forum.  Whereas the comment above suggests there is something beyond that.  So what's it based on?  It's not the papers, so what is it?

As I said I held my tongue for a good while with this one, cos you seem sound in the chat forum, etc.  But I've clocked you laying into the fans not once or twice, but countless times.  Honestly all the time, and quite often with a knowing "oh them fans of ours" tone.  I always put it down to you going off the mental opinions put across on this board.  But the comment above suggests you're willing to tar all Newcastle fans with the same brush.  I wouldn't dare to do this myself.  I've always only ever got to 5-10 games a season on account of money/geographical issues and wouldn't be so flippantly critical about our fans, yet you're always so keen to do so.

The fact that you've not been called up on it already (maybe you have, but I've not seen it) surprises me tbh, and ironically enough it's probably because we've got a support that's not very arrogant or judgemental on the whole.  You're not any less entitled to an opinion on the team or the club - but the constant criticism of the fans from you is a priviledge you're actually not entitled to imo.

Especially when, as I say, the fans are the club's biggest asset and always have been.

Loven on fire at the moment. great intelligent movement. almost unplayable. really makes it so much easier for those behind to spot a pass.

that header that hit the post was really clever.

Brings back memories of Keegan's team beating Barnsley 6-0 on the way to championship.

I was there that night - Gallowgate Scoreboard section. :coolsmiley:

:thup: Milburn Stand - Gallowgate Wing

:thup: Leazes End - right behind Johnny Bez's penalty, awesome night.

Five of us had driven up 200 miles from the midlands and the gallowgate turnstiles were slammed shut in our faces with hundreds locked out that day. We ran round to the Leazes just in time for the shutters to go down there aswell. drove back sick to death in silence listening to the anihalation on the car radio instead.

Nice to get in yesterday and see the 6 goals albeit 17years too late!

Guest Roger Kint

I clicked on page 26 to see the reaction and saw malandro banging on about bastard loans and profits again for the next few pages, like a broken record ;D

He can stop his MD from making (although its just his mouthpiece) patronising & offensive comments about his 'customers', he can appoint a proper football MD to run that side of the club instead of a mate, he can talk for himself the on tv the odd time. As for backing the manager in the future, we all hope he does, and wait to see what happens on that front, but people are rightly skeptical, and he dosent deserve total trust back.

He's payed the bills, and covered the costs of his shambolic mistakes, and not put us into administration. Quite frankly I'd expect that, and while I do appreciate things could be worse,  and thankfully the owner does have deep pockets, West Ham for example are obviously a worse siatuion,  I dont agree with Llambias comments that we should be grateful Ashley has not been even more of a t*** and refused to pay the bills - that dosent mean he 'cant do anymore', imo.

I'm sure the Portsmouth fans thought that every owner they've had this season would automatically pay the bills but they haven't.  I'm grateful that our owner has paid our bills and that we'll hopefully be in the top league next season because without him this season we would be unlikely to be in the position that we are.  That doesn't change what he's done wrong in the past and it doesn't make any mistake any easier, it just makes our future look a little bit brighter.  You could rightly point out that he's part of the reason why we are in this division, that doesn't change where we are now and where we look to be heading. 

Like I've already said we can only hope to change the future, not the past.

I agree whats in the past has been done and hopefully lessons have been learnt and this time next season and the same scenario of bringing in average players and loan signings with us in a relegation battle we can probably say same old story lied too again,back too the game what a great result and everyone coming too form for the final push .

Guest icemanblue

:lol: Wind yer neck in with the kid thing - I didn't mean that in a condescending way at all.  Quite the opposite in fact as I was saying I thought you were a nice lad.

You've not really addressed what I was getting at tbh, your comment being:

All you've done is reinforce what I've just pointed out - that your perception of our fans is based on this forum.  Whereas the comment above suggests there is something beyond that.  So what's it based on?  It's not the papers, so what is it?

As I said I held my tongue for a good while with this one, cos you seem sound in the chat forum, etc.  But I've clocked you laying into the fans not once or twice, but countless times.  Honestly all the time, and quite often with a knowing "oh them fans of ours" tone.  I always put it down to you going off the mental opinions put across on this board.  But the comment above suggests you're willing to tar all Newcastle fans with the same brush.  I wouldn't dare to do this myself.  I've always only ever got to 5-10 games a season on account of money/geographical issues and wouldn't be so flippantly critical about our fans, yet you're always so keen to do so.

The fact that you've not been called up on it already (maybe you have, but I've not seen it) surprises me tbh, and ironically enough it's probably because we've got a support that's not very arrogant or judgemental on the whole.  You're not any less entitled to an opinion on the team or the club - but the constant criticism of the fans from you is a priviledge you're actually not entitled to imo.

Especially when, as I say, the fans are the club's biggest asset and always have been.

Well said, and quite eloquent for half four in the morning!

For the record, i don't believe this is a good place to get the "general" opinion of newcastle fans. It is however a good place to get the two extremes.

My attitude to this place, is to take the two extremes and find the middle ground.

Everyone just continues to throw around this myth about people in the LC thinking they're better than everyone else, yet when asked for evidence seem to have very little else to say. It's cringeworthy that we even need to pick holes with a part of the ground that always does its best to get behind the team when the only issue is what songs they're singing. I hate quite a few of the songs, nowt worse than the whole 'Easy' goal celebration that seems to pop its head up now and then. But chants towards away fans would otherwise just be dead silence in the ground. You can only sing for so long before everyone starts giving up (the first half was piss poor today, btw). Banter with away fans is part of football. You're not going to just stand there as one set of fans is giving you stick?! I really don't see the problem other than the cringeworthy constant singing of 'Your support is f***ing s***'.

Also have to say, the amount of people who joined in with 'Stand up if you love the toon' was embarrassing today. Must have been about 5/6-0 and only a couple hundred in the lower Leazes stood. No problems with people not being able to hear if they manage to stand all the way in the NE corner, it was loud as f*** in the LC.  And lastly, I sang the FCB chant at the match, and I'll sing it for as long as it's sung in the ground. I f***ing hate Mike Ashley, I think the blokes a c***. If you find this hard to grasp then the problem is yours I'm afraid.

Nothing in your post answers the question that you quoted. 

I did like the bits in bold though.  You complain about a myth and then in your next paragraph you help perpetuate it, that is class.

Guest malandro

I clicked on page 26 to see the reaction and saw malandro banging on about b****** loans and profits again for the next few pages, like a broken record ;D

And if you’d checked out P23 you find it wasn’t me who brought Ashley question into this thread, but the Prophet with their “Was there any need for the Ashley chants at 6-0?” question. Shortly followed by LLL with his “Pathetic.  If he is sticking around, it's going to do nothing to improve the chances of him putting his hand in his pocket in the summer” reply, and Micks “None at all but at least it reminds us that some of our fans are thick” contribution.

I have been banging on about the loans because they have a huge bearing on the long term future of the club. What’s you excuse for your only contribution to this thread having nothing at all to do with football?

Guest Howaythetoon

Fans can sing what the f*** they like, this club gets magnificent support, support it rarely deserves, whatever the weather, every damn game, home and away, via numbers, loyalty and the occasional amazing atmosphere. A few songs about the owner mean f*** all other than to his own sensitivity. Those chants have never affected matters on the pitch as proved by our position in the table and yesterday's scoreline. What next, lets stop booing opposition players because its not very sporting?!

Guest Roger Kint

I clicked on page 26 to see the reaction and saw malandro banging on about b****** loans and profits again for the next few pages, like a broken record ;D

And if you’d checked out P23 you find it wasn’t me who brought Ashley question into this thread, but the Prophet with their “Was there any need for the Ashley chants at 6-0?” question. Shortly followed by LLL with his “Pathetic.  If he is sticking around, it's going to do nothing to improve the chances of him putting his hand in his pocket in the summer” reply, and Micks “None at all but at least it reminds us that some of our fans are thick” contribution.

I have been banging on about the loans because they have a huge bearing on the long term future of the club. What’s you excuse for your only contribution to this thread having nothing at all to do with football?

Its a thread about yesterdays match for gods sake, if you need help in understanding it then we really have nothing further to discuss. Also i quoted a post which summed up my feelings on it, nothing more to add.

Guest malandro

I did like the bits in bold though.  You complain about a myth and then in your next paragraph you help perpetuate it, that is class.

At the risk of upsetting posters who are trying to discuss the game – the singing reminds Mr Ashley that he has a lot more to do before he’ll be accepted by a lot of fans. That doing well in the CCC isn’t enough to make up for the damage he has done to the club.

I would suggest that any supporter who thinks Ashley is great should try starting a chant to that effect. If the majority agree no doubt they would join in, wouldn’t they?

So because some fans wish that more would join in when 3,000 are singing (and yes, most the time its backing the team!!), that equals "oh look, they think theyre better than everyone else" does it? No, just some fans want the atmosphere to be as loud as possible, thats all! Bloody hell man. The odd time I've heard the strawberry corner chant 'the corner', I havent thought 'ahh theyre up their own arses', I thought "quality! Good stuff! Lets make this place a wall of noise!".

Guest malandro

Its a thread about yesterdays match for gods sake, if you need help in understanding it then we really have nothing further to discuss. Also i quoted a post which summed up my feelings on it, nothing more to add.

Two posts and still nothing about football.

He can stop his MD from making (although its just his mouthpiece) patronising & offensive comments about his 'customers', he can appoint a proper football MD to run that side of the club instead of a mate, he can talk for himself the on tv the odd time. As for backing the manager in the future, we all hope he does, and wait to see what happens on that front, but people are rightly skeptical, and he dosent deserve total trust back.

He's payed the bills, and covered the costs of his shambolic mistakes, and not put us into administration. Quite frankly I'd expect that, and while I do appreciate things could be worse,  and thankfully the owner does have deep pockets, West Ham for example are obviously a worse siatuion,  I dont agree with Llambias comments that we should be grateful Ashley has not been even more of a t*** and refused to pay the bills - that dosent mean he 'cant do anymore', imo.

I'm sure the Portsmouth fans thought that every owner they've had this season would automatically pay the bills but they haven't.  I'm grateful that our owner has paid our bills and that we'll hopefully be in the top league next season because without him this season we would be unlikely to be in the position that we are.  That doesn't change what he's done wrong in the past and it doesn't make any mistake any easier, it just makes our future look a little bit brighter.  You could rightly point out that he's part of the reason why we are in this division, that doesn't change where we are now and where we look to be heading. 

Like I've already said we can only hope to change the future, not the past.

Yes, and thats what Im saying, I'm grateful we're not Portsmouth, but again that comes back to Mike Ashley not being even more of a twat and refusing to pay them after his mistakes - he dosent deserve thanks for that. The comments from Llambias are implying that he shouldnt really be paying the bills and ignoring the main reasons those bills are there to be paid - that deserve a response imo, a response that says 'we're not going to fall for patronising crap like that'.

I was genuinely gutted we failed to keep a clean sheet. How daft?

actually felt sorry for their sub keeper by the end, not sure if he managed a real save

The Beeb's official stats are fantastic reading. We only had 5 shots on target apparently :lol:

1 of the goals was a header.

I think it's more a case of penalties not counting as a shot, still confused me initially when I glanced at them.

Nor do headers, but were both probs right, with us having one shot on target that didn't go in.

:lol:

Yes it did. What does singing anything achieve? It's making our feelings felt. I don't give a f*** what Ashley thinks as long as he knows he's not welcome here.

Tim beat me to this point sadly, but I'll add to what he said. It doesn't surprise me that you would translate me being embarrassed at our crowds lack of joining in with a chant as me thinking the LC is better than the rest. There you go: this myth is based on you coming to your own conclusion rather than me saying anything. It's a sad state of affairs when you're accused of thinking you're better than everyone else because you want a good home atmosphere :no: