FIFA reject goal-line technology

Stifler

The International Football Association Board has ruled out the use of goal-line technology and video replays.

"The door is closed. The decision was not to use technology at all," said Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke.

The decision was reached after watching presentations of two systems, Cairos - a chip inserted in a ball, and Hawk-Eye - used in tennis and cricket.

The Football Association and Scottish Football Association had both voted in favour of further experiments.

FA chief executive Ian Watmore was outvoted after the Irish FA and Welsh FA voted in line with Fifa.

"In the end it came down to a difference of opinion about whether you believe the future of football involves technology or not," said Watmore.

"We had supported the idea of investigating experiments into the use of technology on goal-lines and we would like to have seen it.

"But some of the arguments were very powerful and persuasive and we have to accept them."

Fifa has been under increasing pressure to use some form of technology to eliminate mistakes which are highlighted by TV replays.

606: DEBATE

Technology would restore respect to referees and increase the enjoyment of the sport we love.

ZQLE170

The most high-profile case was a handball by France striker Thierry Henry in the build-up to the equalising goal against the Republic of Ireland in Paris which earned his country World Cup qualification in November.

And just hours after the IFAB's annual general meeting in Zurich, Birmingham's Liam Ridgewell had a headed goal disallowed in his side's 2-0 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday - despite replays clearly showing the ball crossed the line before David James blocked it.

Valcke added: "Technology should not enter into the game, It was a clear statement made by the majority of the IFAB.

"Let's keep the game of football as it is."

IFAB is made up of representatives of the four British football associations, while Fifa hold four votes. Changes to the laws of the game must be approved by at least six votes.

Explaining his opposition to technology, Jonathan Ford, chief executive of the Football Association of Wales, said: "I was worried that you would end up with a stop-start situation where you review all decisions and I don't see that as part of the game."

Patrick Nelson, chief executive of the Irish FA, also backed Fifa's position.

"We very much appreciate the human side of the game, the debate, the controversy, that's why the board has taken this decision," he said.

IFAB, though, left open the possibility of using an extra official behind each goal - a system which has been trialled this season in the Europa League.

A special IFAB meeting will be held on May 17-18 to decide whether this system is used worldwide from next season.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8553463.stm

Myself personally, I don't see why they just don't put a chip in the ball, similar to what is used in Tennis, their is no need for play to be stopped to take a look to see if it went over or not. We also don't eed any changes in the offside rule, we just need better linesmen who understand it more.

I can get why using replays for everything can't really be implemented... but goal line technology surely must happen and seems so easy to make happen.

FIFA Fair Play and all that  :rolleyes:

Guest Stephen927

Was an incident in the Pompey game today where James clawed the ball back over the line and the goal wasn't given.

Was an incident in the Pompey game today where James clawed the ball back over the line and the goal wasn't given.

Aye I saw that, I knew as it happend it went over the line, and I kew why they didn't give it either before any replays were shown, but they did show that it crossed the line.

The thing is with a chip in the ball and around the net is that it will beep as soon as it goes over the line, no need to sit for 5 minutes to see if it corssed the line by goal line tech, and no reason to have 55 officials around each goal.

Simple tech, no hassle, get the fuck on with it.

Aye I saw that, I knew as it happend it went over the line, and I kew why they didn't give it either before any replays were shown, but they did show that it crossed the line.

The thing is with a chip in the ball and around the net is that it will beep as soon as it goes over the line, no need to sit for 5 minutes to see if it corssed the line by goal line tech, and no reason to have 55 officials around each goal.

Simple tech, no hassle, get the fuck on with it.

too much common sense for fifa who prefer to live in the dark ages put their fingers in their ears and repeat "everythings alright, everythings alright"

Guest Spark

That Birmingham goal today, about 10 seconds after it happened ITV had conclusively proved that it was a goal. It would be pretty easy to implement goal-line technology imo.

Rubbish decision.  Make no bones about the science and technology in lighter kits or better balls or better pitch conditions or magic spray or shinguards or shoes or drink for athletes or sports medicine or even headsets on refs nowadays BUT GOD FUCKING FORBID A GOAL BE CORRECTLY CALLED ALL THE TIME, LET'S KEEP TECHNOLOGY OUT OF IT LADS  :angry:

edit: *inhales, calms down*

That Birmingham goal today, about 10 seconds after it happened ITV had conclusively proved that it was a goal. It would be pretty easy to implement goal-line technology imo.

Theirs no need to have a TV, a chip in the ball with a beep or flash or something on the referee's watch (which can only be cancelled when the referee confrims he has seen the notice of the goal) is instant, I've seen situation in Rugby and in sport over the Pond where it takes time to look closely at the footage and come to a decision, which is still determined by the eye, this way their is no if's and but's, it's a Black or White situation on the decision if it went over the line or not.

Anyone know if a league could just implement this unilaterally? That way fifa's concerns could be either proven or dis-proven and we could all get on with our lives. My guess is that it would be shown to work pretty well with little disruption to the game and fifa would have to either admit that they were wrong or (more likely) use the odd incident where it didn't work perfectly to try and convince everyone that they were right and thereby lose whatever scrap of credibility they have left.

Hawkeye have an open letter to FIFA on their website stating that a decision can be beeped in a referee's ear within 0.5 seconds, it's madness not to use it. Tennis and Cricket are arguably more "traditional" sport yet they managed to see the sense in adopting it.

Anyone know if a league could just implement this unilaterally? That way fifa's concerns could be either proven or dis-proven and we could all get on with our lives. My guess is that it would be shown to work pretty well with little disruption to the game and fifa would have to either admit that they were wrong or (more likely) use the odd incident where it didn't work perfectly to try and convince everyone that they were right and thereby lose whatever scrap of credibility they have left.

Theirs nothing wrong with having a league test it out, like Argentina tested the spray line out, and the Uropa League has 55 officials. But honestly this has been tested in lab rooms and "unofficial games" already which all came back with a 100% success rate, it's just FIFA have no idea what common sense is. AS some one has said, they like the controvery, because having it makes the game more exciting in their view and exciting brings in the money, and thats all FIFA care about.

Theirs nothing wrong with having a league test it out, like Argentina tested the spray line out, and the Uropa League has 55 officials. But honestly this has been tested in lab rooms and "unofficial games" already which all came back with a 100% success rate, it's just FIFA have no idea what common sense is. AS some one has said, they like the controvery, because having it makes the game more exciting in their view and exciting brings in the money, and thats all FIFA care about.

Yeah, but what I'm asking is if a league would need fifa's permission to implement it or could they do it even if fifa was opposed, considering that they have to be sanctioned by fifa to be legit.

Yeah, but what I'm asking is if a league would need fifa's permission to implement it or could they do it even if fifa was opposed, considering that they have to be sanctioned by fifa to be legit.

Yeah it would have to be santioned by FIFA, unless it isn't under FIFA authority in which case it's looked as not being football.

I'd much rather not have technology in football, pleased with this.

How is technology not already in football?

Boots like this?

http://www.brandish.tv/images/2007/07/19/old_boot2.jpg

Or like this?

http://www.footy-boots.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/7406%20white%20side.JPG

Balls like this?

http://www.soccerpro.com/common/images/SC1683-147_Nike_Total_90_Ascente_EPL_Ball_White_and_Royal_Blue_zm.jpg

Or like this?

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/football_oldest2302a.jpg

Etc, etc, etc.

Technology is in football already same as it is in every other aspect of normal life, it seems that it's only one particular type of technology that people don't like and that's one that would benefit the game and that's weird, if you ask me. I've yet to see a decent argument against it so far. The closest is that it might temporarily stop the game, well that already happens for lots of reasons like fouls, injuries, the ball leaving the playing area and so-on. If we don't want the game to be disrupted why not use playground rules where nothing stops the game and players are left to pick themselves up after getting clattered whilst the game goes on around them and there are no boundaries to the pitch so play goes on even if the ball is kicked into the crowd. I'm being flippant, with my examples, but the basic argument still stands. Also the disruption can be minimised by allowing the decision to be made off the pitch whilst the game continues, if it's shown that a goal has been scored then play could be brought back in the same way as if the ref notices that the linesman has his flag up or whatever at the moment. Nothing is perfect and it wouldn't clear up every incident, but the fact remains that it would improve things and I don't see how an argument can be made against that really.