Player of the Season - José Enrique

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NEWCASTLE UNITED cult hero Fabricio Coloccini has insisted that winning back top-flight status with the Magpies means more to him than going to the World Cup finals.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/apr2010/0/7/fabricio-coloccini-with-chris-hughton-318319153.jpg

The Argentine international put in another rock-steady performance last night against Sheffield United as he coped with the physical front two of Darius Henderson and Richard Cresswell in a no-holds-barred Championship battle.

Coloccini knows that it is touch-and-go whether he makes Diego Maradona’s final squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa.

But he says that getting back to the Premier League was a BIGGER achievement than success at international level.

He told the Chronicle: “This season we have had to battle and scrap for every point – it has been difficult but at last we have achieved our objective.

“For me as a footballer, playing in the Premier League is where I want to be and why I signed for this great club.

“To be playing in the best league in the world means so much.

“Yes, I want to go to the World Cup finals with my country, but I know that if I want to be selected in the future, playing at the top level is where I need to be.

“This club belongs in the top half of the Premier League and that’s where we aim to go now.”

Coloccini, who signed for United for £10m from Deportivo la Coruna in 2008, had his name chanted for long spells last night, with the South American one of the many stars of the promotion campaign.

He said: “We wanted to win even though we knew it was already confirmed that we were promoted.

“The fans were brilliant and we couldn’t go out there and let them down – we had to win the game against Sheffield as well.

“They want us to be in the Premier League next season. Now we have delivered that.”

And when reflecting on the supporters who have fallen in love with the curly- haired Argentine this season, Colo said: “They are possibly the best fans in the world and I have a lot of affection for them.

“To hear them sing my name is amazing.

“It just makes you want to win every game for them, every tackle and get every pass right.

“My aim is to stay at the club and help us climb up the Premier League next season, even if there are a going to be some tough battles ahead.”

Interesting how opinions can change so suddenly...last year our foreign trio were first in the line when people were looking for scapegoats for poor performaces!

Now 3 of the best 4 performers are exactly the same guys :rolleyes:

EDIT: And my vote goes to Jose

Guest firetotheworks

Interesting how opinions can change so suddenly...last year our foreign trio were first in the line when people were looking for scapegoats for poor performaces!

Now 3 of the best 4 performers are exactly the same guys :rolleyes:

EDIT: And my vote goes to Jose

Colo yes, but with good reason. Jonas's effectiveness was always debated, but more or less everyone loved Jose. Butt was the scapegoat as far as players went last season imo.

NEWCASTLE UNITED cult hero Fabricio Coloccini has insisted that winning back top-flight status with the Magpies means more to him than going to the World Cup finals.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/apr2010/0/7/fabricio-coloccini-with-chris-hughton-318319153.jpg

The Argentine international put in another rock-steady performance last night against Sheffield United as he coped with the physical front two of Darius Henderson and Richard Cresswell in a no-holds-barred Championship battle.

Coloccini knows that it is touch-and-go whether he makes Diego Maradona’s final squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa.

But he says that getting back to the Premier League was a BIGGER achievement than success at international level.

He told the Chronicle: “This season we have had to battle and scrap for every point – it has been difficult but at last we have achieved our objective.

“For me as a footballer, playing in the Premier League is where I want to be and why I signed for this great club.

“To be playing in the best league in the world means so much.

“Yes, I want to go to the World Cup finals with my country, but I know that if I want to be selected in the future, playing at the top level is where I need to be.

“This club belongs in the top half of the Premier League and that’s where we aim to go now.”

Coloccini, who signed for United for £10m from Deportivo la Coruna in 2008, had his name chanted for long spells last night, with the South American one of the many stars of the promotion campaign.

He said: “We wanted to win even though we knew it was already confirmed that we were promoted.

“The fans were brilliant and we couldn’t go out there and let them down – we had to win the game against Sheffield as well.

“They want us to be in the Premier League next season. Now we have delivered that.”

And when reflecting on the supporters who have fallen in love with the curly- haired Argentine this season, Colo said: “They are possibly the best fans in the world and I have a lot of affection for them.

“To hear them sing my name is amazing.

“It just makes you want to win every game for them, every tackle and get every pass right.

“My aim is to stay at the club and help us climb up the Premier League next season, even if there are a going to be some tough battles ahead.”

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Colo has done well (especially his passes out of defense) but I went for Jose. I still have issues on how Colo can be bullied by big strikers (yesterday's goal as a case in point). I worry how he he will cope against the big men in the Premiership, strikers might mark him as the soft spot in our defense and the likes of Carew will piss all over him. He needs to be stronger when challenging in the air coz the other aspects of his game is already Premiership standard.

Jose on the other hand has done well both in defense and attack, his partnership and understanding with Jonas is our main strength which will give even Premiership teams a hard time. 

Guest palnese

His name is incorrectly spelled in the thread title. It's "José" not "Josè". ;)

sorry about that O0

Nolan had a poor mid-season but has been fantastic the last couple of games. I think his contribution is under rated.

Colocinni gets away with things in this league which will be punished next year but has played very well overall. Still think he has a few moments, will be watching him carefully next season.

Enrique needs to keep his concentration more, i think the slack passing is a result of mental focus not inability as he is clearly a highly skilled footballer. His close control was always evident from his first few games under Allardyce. Annoys me no end to think back to the early criticism and how many people said 'give him time, he's young and just arrived in the UK' and were just blatantly ignored. Newcastle's player of the season 09/10.

Guest palnese

His name is incorrectly spelled in the thread title. It's "José" not "Josè". ;)

sorry about that O0

Nah, thanks for trying with our "´" things.  :thup:

I studied Spanish for two years at High School. I never quite got that part  :iamatwat:

Nolan had a poor mid-season but has been fantastic the last couple of games. I think his contribution is under rated.

Colocinni gets away with things in this league which will be punished next year but has played very well overall. Still think he has a few moments, will be watching him carefully next season.

Enrique needs to keep his concentration more, i think the slack passing is a result of mental focus not inability as he is clearly a highly skilled footballer. His close control was always evident from his first few games under Allardyce. Annoys me no end to think back to the early criticism and how many people said 'give him time, he's young and just arrived in the UK' and were just blatantly ignored. Newcastle's player of the season 09/10.

agree with all of this. Nolan started the season well, was crap in the middle, but is ending strongly. the past few games have been his best overall performances, probably because he's alongside Guthrie and he has non-stop runners on the flanks, it takes a bit of pressure off him. Colo has been marvellous at times but there's still nagging doubts here and there, he needs to become more of a dirty bastard like carvalho, little stamps, whacks of the elbow, shirt pulls etc. i mean that in the best way possible, and to do it in a subtle way that won't be punished (easier said than done) but he needs to bully and intimidate strikers from the first minute.

Enrique has coasted through the season. i don't think he's ever gotten out of second gear, and that does tell at times - with some sloppy passes for instance, trying to dribble it out each time (which almost always works tbf). far too good for the division, but will need more focus next year.

agree with all of this. Nolan started the season well, was crap in the middle, but is ending strongly. the past few games have been his best overall performances, probably because he's alongside Guthrie and he has non-stop runners on the flanks, it takes a bit of pressure off him. Colo has been marvellous at times but there's still nagging doubts here and there, he needs to become more of a dirty b****** like carvalho, little stamps, whacks of the elbow, shirt pulls etc. i mean that in the best way possible, and to do it in a subtle way that won't be punished (easier said than done) but he needs to bully and intimidate strikers from the first minute.

Enrique has coasted through the season. i don't think he's ever gotten out of second gear, and that does tell at times - with some sloppy passes for instance, trying to dribble it out each time (which almost always works tbf). far too good for the division, but will need more focus next year.

you mean become the archetypal argentine defender?  :snod:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nile Ranger  - 3 (1%) :facepalm:

Ok people, his myspace was funny, now let's move on

Actually, he has fallen from grace since the Autumn months - even his thread has dropped off the 1st page.

Interesting. I have doubts about both the runaway leaders, for next season.

Colo's feeble challenge for the Sheffield goal last night highlights a weakness that I think will be found out more. He's poor in the air from set pieces, and that's a problem for a CB in the Premiership. He's also not the quickest.

Enrique has got away with dribbling the ball out of defence this season, but will need to clear it more quickly next time. And there he has difficulty.

Good left sided players aren't that plentiful, so I'm pretty sure Enrique will stay. However, it may be good business to sell Colo abroad while the going's good, and use the proceeds to bring in someone who's a bit more rugged.

I voted Colo a while back (while Jose was injured) but i can fully understand why Enrique has taken the lead in this poll.

Both of these guys have been our best and most consistent footballers since august and it is down to these two, why we have had the best defence in the league and remained unbeaten at home. Some may have come close, but no player has contributed more to our promotion than Enrique or Coloccini.

• 5 weeks later...