Newcastle United 3 - 0 Scunthorpe - 17/03/10 - post match reaction from page 14

Nate

Gol, sorry added this bit to my original post (too late obviously):

"Where did the argument happen, by the way? On the pitch?? I missed it if so. I don't think Scunny are down and out just yet either, have a feeling they were holding something back for the games on Saturday/Tuesday. Anything less than four points from those two and I might agree that things are extremely bleak."

Generally I wouldn't be too down-hearted after last night, even though it really was poor. There is enough quality to win a good few games yet and if Hooper/Hayes are back in tandem on Saturday and Mirfin comes back in then the team will improve massively.

Scunthorpe are seriously fucking gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.

I'll post this as a Scunthorpe fan, which is difficult to do right now.

That was easily our worst performance of the season. Absolutely gutless performance; they just didn't turn up. It was always going to be one way traffic, but they looked like they didn't even care.

Missing your best defender (Mirfin) and your best striker (Hooper) doesn't help, but add to that a right back who should be back playing college football in america, and a centre back who wouldn't look out of place in Sunday league football, it was always going to be a big defeat.

There was a huge argument after the match between the players. Think they already know they're down, and no there's a rumour Hooper is out for the season.

Had a decent night our after the match though, after I'd recovered from my vertigo.

Andrew Wright was the best player in light blue last night, in my opinion. Thought he was outstanding considering what he was up against. Had a couple of shaky moments but on the whole was very, very good. One of the very few to play anywhere near the level required.

Agree that it was the worst performance of the season though, just didn't turn up at all.

Where did the argument happen, by the way? On the pitch?? I missed it if so. I don't think Scunny are down and out just yet either, have a feeling they were holding something back for the games on Saturday/Tuesday. Anything less than four points from those two and I might agree that things are extremely bleak.

I thought the lad up front actually had a canny game. Worked his socks off all night.

Aye he ran himself into the ground but Hall, in particular, just had him completely under control until the very end.

Andrew Wright was the best player in light blue last night, in my opinion. Thought he was outstanding considering what he was up against. Had a couple of shaky moments but on the whole was very, very good. One of the very few to play anywhere near the level required.

Agree that it was the worst performance of the season though, just didn't turn up at all.

They must have been given some duff information about us.

:laugh:

Gol, sorry added this bit to my original post (too late obviously):

"Where did the argument happen, by the way? On the pitch?? I missed it if so. I don't think Scunny are down and out just yet either, have a feeling they were holding something back for the games on Saturday/Tuesday. Anything less than four points from those two and I might agree that things are extremely bleak."

Generally I wouldn't be too down-hearted after last night, even though it really was poor. There is enough quality to win a good few games yet and if Hooper/Hayes are back in tandem on Saturday and Mirfin comes back in then the team will improve massively.

Murphy had a big falling out with Jones at half time as they left the pitch. Then in the dressing room at the end of the match a few choice words were exchanged.

There's a lot of player power creeping in at Scunny, and certain people aren't very happy about it.

Oh, and to answer the earlier question, I didn't really want either team to lose :D I know it's a really strange situation, but this is the first season (and probably last) where they've met in the league. I didn't for the life of me think that they'd even be in the same division, considering Scunthorpe nearly dropped out of the league completely a few years back.

Tooj, are you referring to Forte or Hayes? I'm hoping it's the former.....

Who was that prat who had the "Bring on Shearer" banner last year? Wish we'd stuffed them by 10 just because of that.

F**k me, just seen the goals fro Weds night. If we can play with that confidence every game we'll be ok. Carry that into next season will give us a good start. Some quality football in those short highlights.

Agree with the sentiment but it's got to be remembered how much time and space they gave us to knock it about and create chances. We're kidding ourselves if we think we'll see opposition as poor as that next year. We might not see a team as poor as that for decades.

Who was that prat who had the "Bring on Shearer" banner last year? Wish we'd stuffed them by 10 just because of that.

F**k me, just seen the goals fro Weds night. If we can play with that confidence every game we'll be ok. Carry that into next season will give us a good start. Some quality football in those short highlights.

Agree with the sentiment but it's got to be remembered how much time and space they gave us to knock it about and create chances. We're kidding ourselves if we think we'll see opposition as poor as that next year. We might not see a team as poor as that for decades.

Aye, I didn't see the game, and I've only just read through the match reaction after posting that...I see why it looked so easy for us.