Champions Cup versus Fairs Cup

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obviously we'd prefer to be in the Champions League ourselves due to the money and the prestige, but which tournament is more of a spectacle?

I prefer the UEFA Cup personally, more attacking games, worser defences, random teams, random moments and hard to predict.

Obviously we'd prefer to be in the Champions League ourselves due to the money and the prestige, but which tournament is more of a spectacle?

I prefer the UEFA Cup personally, more attacking games, worser defences, random teams, random moments and hard to predict.

The group stages are an utter farce. Bring back the European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup. Shame it won't happen due to the amount of money involved in the Champions League though.

The group stages are an utter farce. Bring back the European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup. Shame it won't happen due to the amount of money involved in the Champions League though.

Agree with that, the group stages spoil it.

Guest Brummiemag

I enjoy the knock out stages of both.  As far as Im concerned you cannot beat knockout cup football, thats why I love the FA and League Cup as well and why I continue to make the argument that Newcastle have a proud cup tradition and should always field a full strengh team no matter what the circumstances

The group stages of both are a farce, most of the games are dull, low attendances at many of the games (including Champions League). The only reason they have them is so that the top clubs get an annual guarenteed income.

Champions League for me, the teams are far better and its a bigger stage. Not to mention the last time we were there we had some great moments and they were great moments mainly because we ghot to play against europes elite.

Waffa cup provides the better games (usually due to shite defending) but as a football purist the CL shits on it.

Waffa doesn't get decent until this round either. Far too many unnecessary games. Should be straight knockout from the start.

Guest firetotheworks

The Champions League has the best teams, and for that alone, I prefer it. I can enjoy the UEFA Cup, but it's always in my mind that they're winning the European version of something that actually counts for very little.

The Champions League has the best teams, and for that alone, I prefer it. I can enjoy the UEFA Cup, but it's always in my mind that they're winning the European version of something that actually counts for very little.

European Carling Cup?

I agree with what has been said that both tournaments don't truly excel until the knockout phases. The urgency and tension makes for pretty exciting games, plus the shittier sides have been vetted out.

I'll go with that, but it'll never happen. The closed shop that is the CL is making too much money for the already too powerful bigger clubs.

The UEFA Cup was ace.

The Europa League is rubbish.

When we were in it (beyond the first round, which turned out to be a blessing this season) last year, I just remember going to loads of matches nobody cared about and thinking "when the fucking hell is this going to end?"

For every Fulham - Juventus knockout tie, there are 100 group games against FC Wheelbarrow from Moldovia.

Revert back to calling it the European Cup and only invite 2 clubs (max) from the league champions from each european league. Make it a straight knockout competition with no seedings and no country protection. If that means Man U draw Real in the first round then so be it. 

I'd sack the CWC like. Just stick the teams from that in the UEFA. Would stick the top 2 from the competitive leagues in the CL, much like it was when we were in first time round. No/not much prize money either.

Revert back to calling it the European Cup and only invite 2 clubs (max) from the league champions from each european league. Make it a straight knockout competition with no seedings and no country protection. If that means Man U draw Real in the first round then so be it. 

And forfeit millions and millions of pounds in the process..

You're talking nonsense, man. The only difference between the UEFA cup and the Europa League is that the group stage is now logical and fair. So how was the UEFA Cup so much better?

I think they're probably referring to the UEFA Cup before they introduced groups, ala 4ish years ago.

Unseeded cup competitons don't breed anything other than chaos, imo.

And forfeit millions and millions of pounds in the process..

I know it's only a pipedream btw.  :undecided:

You're talking nonsense, man. The only difference between the UEFA cup and the Europa League is that the group stage is now logical and fair. So how was the UEFA Cup so much better?

I think they're probably referring to the UEFA Cup before they introduced groups, ala 4ish years ago.

Oh, fair enough. Still, I think the group stage is a very good experience for the teams/fans involved. Also, a massive money maker as mentioned.

Fuck that.

How can they call it the "Champions League" when the fourth placed team, or,  almost every season dross like Liverpool who haven't troubled the title for 20 years, get to enter?

Call it what it is, European League or whatever, but the whole Champions moniker is absolutely absurd.

I honestly don't know how people get excited about seeing the same fucking sides playing in the latter stages year after year.

I don't know how many more times I can stand watching any two of Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea playing each other in the knockout stages whilst Martin Tyler wanks Andy Gray's cock into his mouth and they both scream as if it's the course of the second world war being decided rather than a massive yawnfest.

Is the Intercities Fairs trophy considered a major trophy?  Am I right in thinking it wasnt an invitational trophy AFTER 1968? It was considered the runners up cup.

One of my posts has made it onto some mackem messageboard  :rolleyes:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=482029

EDIT: I've just realised who the lad is on there laughing at my mistype. I might not can count, but at least i can pass GCSE maths.  :rolleyes:

Guest north shields lad

f*** that.

How can they call it the "Champions League" when the fourth placed team, or,  almost every season dross like Liverpool who haven't troubled the title for 20 years, get to enter?

Call it what it is, European League or whatever, but the whole Champions moniker is absolutely absurd.

I honestly don't know how people get excited about seeing the same f***ing sides playing in the latter stages year after year.

I don't know how many more times I can stand watching any two of Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea playing each other in the knockout stages whilst Martin Tyler wanks Andy Gray's cock into his mouth and they both scream as if it's the course of the second world war being decided rather than a massive yawnfest.

Take you wont be going next season if you qualify.

Guest Phil K

Man U fans ranted constantly when Newcastle got into the Champs League as 2nd place team.

How ridiculous it was. Some of the Man U supporting journos did too.

To be honest I thought so too.

Just how many Man U fans or journos will tell you they won it v Bayern as a SECOND PLACED TEAM ?

The next will be the FIRST