Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Ronaldo, lampard was world class for a period. He drove teams on box to box and was/is a lethal midfield goalscorer. now he's mainly a good midfield goalscorer (this will wane seriously from next season onwards) and he's losing the ability to run the midfield. He's nowhere near world class anymore and I have always been a big fan

Ashley Cole, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard (Gary Neville wasn't a bad RB either) were all at some point near world class, and near enough at the same time. Had they had Hart as he is now, Shearer in his prime and some decent wingers then the team could have possibly won the Euro's (adding Rooney to that)

Looking at the squad now, the best players are still those who are in that list but they are mostly knackered versions of their former self, while the youngsters lack big game mentality or technical ability or both, while the expectations remain the same (partly due to the usual suspect still being in the line up)

So what does Woy do? Does he stick with the experience that he knows isn't good enough, but should offer some consistency, or does he bring fresh faces in, which he suspects aren't good enough and probably worse right now than the old guard. I personally think he'll bottle it this tournament and you'll see the older players starting and delivering what we all know they are capable of, going out in the second round.

Guest gggg

"@BBCNewsnight: #newsnight Jeremy Paxman live interview with @Joey7Barton on the new England manager."

wut

Guest bimpy474

"@BBCNewsnight: #newsnight Jeremy Paxman live interview with @Joey7Barton on the new England manager."

wut

Joey will be pleading to given a chance, overlooking the fact he has been turboshit and doesn't deserve a place.

wut

Well who else are you going to get, apart from the most upstanding, upfront, no-nonsense working man's man of football, Joey Barton? And the fact he's always whinging about England because he was never given a look in.

Rooney, Hart, Terry and Cole are world class. Possibly Lampard too, whilst Gerrard and Scholes were in their younger days.

Terry's not world class any longer.

Personally I think there's a dearth of great centre backs at the moment. There's only Pique, Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Kompany, Vidic and Ramos better than him.

Rooney, Hart, Terry and Cole are world class. Possibly Lampard too, whilst Gerrard and Scholes were in their younger days.

Terry's not world class any longer.

Personally I think there's a dearth of great centre backs at the moment. There's only Pique, Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Kompany, Vidic and Ramos better than him.

Fair point.

Guest bimpy474

Ramos? Colo is better than him.

That and Ramos is a sending off waiting to happen.

Hart is an excellent keeper. Ashley Cole is still up there in fullbacks. Rooney's class too.

But look down the spine apart from Hart. The rest either haven't turned up for England, getting on or inexperienced. You can't get a consensus on the CB's/CM's/ST's pairings. And if you do it consists of Terry (who has always been over-rated), Parker who isn't good enough & Rooney who will miss a couple games and isn't as good for England either.

Hodgson will get the best out of what we've got I'm sure. As long as the players don't start whinging behind the managers back like they were at the world cup, bunch of fairies.

As for world class? Ashley Cole and Rooney. We also have a few decent youngsters. We are lightyears away from the likes of Spain and Germany, absolutely lightyears.

Ashley Cole would make any national team though, cracking player.

Hodgson will get the best out of what we've got I'm sure. As long as the players don't start whinging behind the managers back like they were at the world cup, bunch of fairies.

As for world class? Ashley Cole and Rooney. We also have a few decent youngsters. We are lightyears away from the likes of Spain and Germany, absolutely lightyears.

Ashley Cole would make any national team though, cracking player.

arent you scottish? or just moved there...

We do have a few good senior players, Terry and Cole and I've always been a fan of Lampard. Must start for me to be honest. Take out the likes of Gerrard and Parker and try to mix the age up a bit, give some of the younger talents a platform. I don't think we have any chance in the tournament, but it could be useful for development.