Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Guest Craig-NUFC

The good thing about Hodgson is, I believe he would be open to the likes of Joe Allen being in the squad.

Can be open to it all he wants, but it's never going to happen since he's Welsh

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I wouldn't take anyone who won't go to the next WC. That's no Ferdinand & Lampard as a minimum.

Not that I think Smalling/Terry et al are any better. But I really can't see the first 2 making it for another tournament and the youngsters need experience. You look at the number of caps some of the young Germans have in comparison with the English ones and the difference is massive. The experience has made them better players.

Agree with what you're saying, but that would mean the English Media not going into hype overdrive 2 weeks before the opening game of the Euros and telling everyone we're going to win it. I think the sensible heads are more than expecting this Euros to be a rebuilding phase and experience for a fair few players, with the aim of building a team/understanding for the World Cup push.

Think about that Germany team of the late 90s and early 2000s. How OLD were those players? Nation was tired of it, the German FA made radical changes and allowed and followed them through. They went into the Euros with a very young squad and have progressed from there.

The good thing about Hodgson is, I believe he would be open to the likes of Joe Allen being in the squad.

The same Joe Allen who is a welsh international?!

My Bad! I meant Leon Britton. Someone who can keep the ball, I suppose Carrick could do the same job and has more experience.

Adam Johnson is a decent wildcard to have for us too, in all honesty we have pretty good selection of players, we're just f***ing miles off Germany and Spain.

Johnson is more than a wildcard in my opinion. He should be starting. Sturridge is a greedy little shit who will spurn loads of opportunities. Young is obviously a good player so he should play even though I can't stand him. I would play Johnson over Lennon also

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The same Joe Allen who is a welsh international?!

My Bad! I meant Leon Britton. Someone who can keep the ball, I suppose Carrick could do the same job and has more experience.

Nathan Dyer has had a good spell too. Almost seems like a better version of Aaron Lennon!

Guest je85

Hart

Richards        Terry            Cahill        Baines

Parker

Gerrard      Lampard

Sturridge                                  Young

Defoe

Defoe up front for England :dispair:

Canny team, though. Probably best option available.

How many times do we need to try and have Lampard and Gerrard in the same team? Even getting round that probably exaggerated problem how many times are we going to believe it won't be like last time and these players will show up this time? Lampard credit to him has been alright but they're long since past caring internationally.

That problem was in a 442 though. In this Parker is there to do the defensive leg work and those 2 can be more expansive. Sensible solution to a problem tbf. And going on form, is there a better English CM than Lampard or Gerrard in recent months? Unfortunately not.

Michael Carrick.

Hart

Richards        Terry            Cahill        Baines

Parker

Gerrard      Lampard

Sturridge                                  Young

Defoe

Defoe up front for England :dispair:

Canny team, though. Probably best option available.

How many times do we need to try and have Lampard and Gerrard in the same team? Even getting round that probably exaggerated problem how many times are we going to believe it won't be like last time and these players will show up this time? Lampard credit to him has been alright but they're long since past caring internationally.

That problem was in a 442 though. In this Parker is there to do the defensive leg work and those 2 can be more expansive. Sensible solution to a problem tbf. And going on form, is there a better English CM than Lampard or Gerrard in recent months? Unfortunately not.

Gerrard's looked fucking crap tbh if you are talking about the flow of the game.

He doesn't look like a central midfielder at all these days, not that he ever did. He's the same attacking midfielder/right sided attacker he always was, only he's lost his pace and power so is no longer effective enough just off the striker. Instead he's drifted back a bit but is still playing in that old, direct fashion trying to hog all the glory, forcing the play every time, and you need to be more subtle in that position.

Yes he's came up with some good hollywood passes, pelted crosses and a few raking through-balls or long shots, but he plays like an idiot with total disregard for his side. Did that in the last England friendly vs Holland too, totally unrestrained.

I'd have him OR Lampard there because without Rooney there's no one else who has ability to change a match and get something from nothing, and after all he did fairly well in 2010. But the weaknesses that have been ever present during his career have gotten worse as he's aged at the same time as his physicality has eroded so there's no way on earth i'd play him alongside Lampard.

And certainly not with someone as limited on the ball as Parker behind the pair. We'd need a bit of energy, and a bit of class on the ball - Maybe Parker and Barry/Carrick, playing behind either Gerrard, Lampard or a withdrawn Rooney when he returns. Not exactly inspiring.

So It's either Lampard or Gerrard, not both.

If it's a choice between Lampard and Gerrard then I'd choose Lampard every time.

I think Crouch will get into the squad.

He should do, too. He's an excellent player to have in the squad - gives us something a bit different.

I guess our strikeforce will be 4/5 from Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge. I expect Defoe to miss out from that, and he'll probably take the other five and there's always the option of playing Sturridge wide.

It should be neither Gerrard or Lampard, both terrible for England and both well below par all season.

inclined to agree but not seeing the alternatives anywhere sadly, especially when Rooney is out.

Would love to see Scholes recalled.

It should be neither Gerrard or Lampard, both terrible for England and both well below par all season.

inclined to agree but not seeing the alternatives anywhere sadly, especially when Rooney is out.

Would love to see Scholes recalled.

Your right about lack of alternatives like, but i still think them two have had enough chances for England.

Given the choice of Hodgson or Redknapp I'd rather have neither, thanks.

I can't really see why people lament his time at Inter, he didn't really do that well. Aye he made a uefa cup final (and lost it only to get s*** pelted at him by the fans) with Inter but they weren't exactly foreign to the competition either having won it previously (they won it in 94 iirc). Avram Grant took a chelsea side to a champions league final, would anybody call him a good manager? Greame Souness won a few cups abroad, played and managed teams outside of England, so based on that would he be a better choice then Redknapp?...

As for saggy face, well f*** me. The bloke is everything that is wrong with modern football and has achieved very little real success throughout his managerial career.

International management is a completely different ball game to club management and relies on many more aspects compared with club management I guess. Overall I suppose I would have Hodgson but that's like asking me if I would rather bathe in s*** or take a golden shower

You really shouldn't use a word unless you know what it means. :razz:

I've picked it up from others who are using it out of context it seems. Was that the only thing you picked out from there or was there something else?

Given the choice of Hodgson or Redknapp I'd rather have neither, thanks.

I can't really see why people lament his time at Inter, he didn't really do that well. Aye he made a uefa cup final (and lost it only to get s*** pelted at him by the fans) with Inter but they weren't exactly foreign to the competition either having won it previously (they won it in 94 iirc). Avram Grant took a chelsea side to a champions league final, would anybody call him a good manager? Greame Souness won a few cups abroad, played and managed teams outside of England, so based on that would he be a better choice then Redknapp?...

As for saggy face, well f*** me. The bloke is everything that is wrong with modern football and has achieved very little real success throughout his managerial career.

International management is a completely different ball game to club management and relies on many more aspects compared with club management I guess. Overall I suppose I would have Hodgson but that's like asking me if I would rather bathe in s*** or take a golden shower

You really shouldn't use a word unless you know what it means. :razz:

I've picked it up from others who are using it out of context it seems. Was that the only thing you picked out from there or was there something else?

Nope, just that. I felt like being a cunt and pointing it out.