You are Glenn Roeder

James

OK, this thread will either fall flat on its arse or pretty interesting, but is worth a try so be nice :)

You are Glenn Roeder.

It is 2006. Alan Shearer has just had his testimonial. You've had a bit to drink and fall into a deep sleep.

In your sleep, you dream about the next 3 and a half years. You see whats gone wrong at Newcastle, and you see all the transfers that happen at other clubs. Then you wake up.

The challenge, is to use that knowledge from your 'dream' to produce the best 2010 team possible using a transfer pot of £15m (approximate net spend pre-relegation)

You can only buy players for the fee they were bought for by a club since Summer 2006. Plus you have to realistically justify that player signing for a UEFA Cup level club.

Additionally, you can only sell players for the exact fee you sold them.

The squad is:

Given

Harper

Krul

Carr

Babayaro

Bramble

Taylor

Moore

Boumsong

Ramage

Huntington

Elliott

Solano

N'Zogbia

Dyer

Parker

Emre

Patisson

Butt

Faye

Clark

O'Brien

Bowyer

Owen

Luque

Ameobi

Chopra

First thing I'm going to do is go take a look or three at Kuyt.

I agree Kuyt would be an excellent signing as those 4 forwards aren't really enough.  Especially when they're all super injury prone.

Can I lock this yet?

I suppose you could... but the real question is why should you lock it?

Well if I pretend I'm Glenn Roeder and I dream ahead to 2010, I can see plenty of reasons why this is a waste of time.

Can I lock this yet?

I suppose you could... but the real question is why should you lock it?

Well if I pretend I'm Glenn Roeder and I dream ahead to 2010, I can see plenty of reasons why this is a waste of time.

Well that would be a very narrow minded view to take.  Treat it as a retrospective view on what we had then to what we have now. 

If I'm honest I'd say most of the negative posts in this thread carry an air of prejudice, which is really sad. 

I'd not buy Duff and save £5M on transfer fees and £60K a week. Then I'd sell Fatty Pattison so that I wouldn't have to use him in an injury situation. I'd invest some of the money in a big TV and show the team highlights of Duff's game every week, letting them know that I could have bought him but oh look how shit he is. This would boost the team's morale so much that further transfers would be unnecessary, and then I'd spend the rest of the transfer budget on beer.

I'd not buy Duff and save £5M on transfer fees and £60K a week. Then I'd sell Fatty Pattison so that I wouldn't have to use him in an injury situation. I'd invest some of the money in a big TV and show the team highlights of Duff's game every week, letting them know that I could have bought him but oh look how shit he is. This would boost the team's morale so much that further transfers would be unnecessary, and then I'd spend the rest of the transfer budget on beer.

That's a good point about Duff.  If we didn't sign him, N'Zogbia would automatically turn into the World class player Duff clearly stopped him being & we wouldn't need to buy anyone else.

Yes, but look at Duff now... 

It's a sad state of affairs that some many talented players have underperformed for us (since SBR left).  Duff would have been a fantastic player if used and motivated well.