Overheard at St. James' Park (and in pubs pre/post match etc)

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Guest Nile Rangers Dreads

Watching the Swansea away game in the pub, a group of lads were talking about who they would have signed in the transfer window.

"You know who we should have signed, that Michael Johnson. He's pretty quick you know"

i suppose he is.. if we need somebody to run 4 lengths of the pitch. I guess they meant Adam Johnson though.

Guest firetotheworks

Watching the Swansea away game in the pub, a group of lads were talking about who they would have signed in the transfer window.

"You know who we should have signed, that Michael Johnson. He's pretty quick you know"

i suppose he is.. if we need somebody to run 4 lengths of the pitch. I guess they meant Adam Johnson though.

Or maybe they meant Michael Johnson who plays for Man City, but is now a bit of a pig.

Guest Nile Rangers Dreads

Or maybe they meant Michael Johnson who plays for Man City, but is now a bit of a pig.

Possibly but it was a long shot considering they didn't know we'd actually signed.

Come to think of it, another quote that left me baffled. The second half was about to start at the Preston home game. The bloke next to me says

"Has Nicky Butt been subbed off? He hasn't come back out the tunnel" 

I'm pretty sure he wasn't even on the bench for that game, though I was more surprised how concerned he was.

one of them also said that Leon Best had England U21 caps...

i was stuck in front of a group of lads against barnsley who thought the stadium was a 65,000 seater they were also shocked as to why lovenkrands wasnt playing his natural position on the right wing :kinnear:

Were they Barnsley fans?

nope newcastle with their kids could tell by their accents

For making a c*nt of oneself:

I was at the Reading game on a rare day out with mates from Berwick (i live abroad), we all had tickets but in different parts of stadium. I was growing a beard then, quite big and was tanked up so no-one said anything when I blurted out my stupidness-

When Pancrate was brought on I honestly thought it was Geremi, I couldn't see straight but was screamin for him "go on geremi lad...". Then "Geremi" pulled a top class goal out of the drawer and I went beserk...nobody said a word...

Got out of the game with my mates and told em' about how amazin' Geremi was...what a transformation...totally humilliated and the joke for the night...Never mind Happens to us all (I hope!)

Against Doncaster at home this season, some random pleb behind us kicked off shouting 'HOWAY MAN GIVEN MAN, COME OOT FOR THE BALL'.

:doh:

Oh and my two rants per game...basically a tirade of abuse mainly aimed at the ref, one per half to let off some steam.  They can be pretty embarrasing, but I cant help it.

lad in the pub this evening, a bit pissed...

we're 2-nil down 'Here, if I was Hughton, I'd take Gutierrez off, and I wouldn't bring anyone on, ad just put a bullet straight in his heed'

Jonas makes it 2-1.  'fucking get in there Gutierrez you legend!'

Jonas shoots straight at the keeper with the scores at 2-2, 'fucks sake Gutierrez man!! Why's he still on the pitch? He's fucking shite!'

Guest firetotheworks

Against Palace there was a round of 'Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle' and at the crescendo it stopped and it just left me screaming 'NEWCASTLE' to which my mates laughed, I tried to save face by going 'howeh man, keep it going!' but everyone just laughed at me.  :blush:

Guest Heneage

Ramage and Moore were always the same player to me from level 7, many misguided torrents of abuse were given per match  :sadnod:

I'm sure they both deserved at least what you gave them in the end...

Dyer and Jenas for me. Always looked the same.

Ramage and Moore were always the same player to me from level 7, many misguided torrents of abuse were given per match  :sadnod:

I remember a game (Spurs I think) at home during the back end of 05-06 when Elliot, Ramage and Moore all started. From relatively low down in the Gallowgate I could barely tell which was which when they were at the other end.

At the West Ham home game last season, i was sat watching pre-match warm up then I noticed the subs.

Me - "Hey isn't that great, I didn't know Martins was fit"

Bro - "Errr...that's LuaLua..."

To make matters worse, I was front row of the Milburn :facepalm:

Later on in the season against Pompey, I was in the same seat and Jermaine Pennant was warming up in the 2nd half. He had his leg stretched out on the ad boards and I said to my mate "Wouldnt it be funny if he kicked himself in the head and couldn't go on" to which Pennant then looked up at me and smirked :laugh:

If anyone sits near me in the East Stand they will get some gems, my dad comes out with some of the most cringworthy stuff ever.  He misses practically every single piece of action requiring me to recreate it for him.I have to tell him who scored, what happened there etc etc.  Sometimes wonder why he comes along....  Although I will modify this to say that I am really glad that he does!!

The bloke to the other side, who has become a pretty good mate as it goes, comes out with some pearler of one liners.  You need to be there to really appreciate them, I guess it is the sort of banter that only people that go to the match can experience.

And, yes, we do occasionally get things wrong and make arses of ourselves in front of the whole surrounding area but, who cares?  I hear people chuntering around us saying that we are thick etc (When I turn round to try and see who it is, so I can tell them to fuck off they shut up quick enough, one of these days I'll catch you, you wanker!)  Fuck man, it is only what we think, if you don't like it don't listen and have your own conversation!!