The 'Superfan'

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree in most part to the arguments made here. As in it's more down to the person than where you've seen it, though you have a better chance of following certain players watching them at SJP than on TV. It would also depend on where you're sitting, but in general a smart person should be able to form better opinion about the players performance watching at SJP than on TV. Though I do think that you get a better opinion about the game as a whole watching on TV seeing how you get to see replays over and over about critical incidents and so on. You really can't have a valid opinion regarding anything game wise if you listen on the radio though. Now in the Championship and us not being on TV every week, I think the ones at SJP have a better ground to base their opinion on than the others. In the PL I think it's more 50/50 though, as in being there is better in certain elements for forming an opinion, and watching on TV is better in certain elements for forming an opinion.

What I don't like is how this seems to head down the "foreigners out, lolzx" thread path which occasionally appear on here, and Ronaldo's point regarding it is just silly seeing how most foreigners spend more than a grand over the course of a season to see Newcastle at SJP only once or twice a season, if they'd had the chance to go to the stadium each match, they would.

What I don't like is how this seems to head down the "foreigners out, lolzx" thread path which occasionally appear on here, and Ronaldo's point regarding it is just silly seeing how most foreigners spend more than a grand over the course of a season to see Newcastle at SJP only once or twice a season, if they'd had the chance to go to the stadium each match, they would.

This is another good point. 

You don't become the dickhead "superfan" until you use the fact that you're at SJP every week to try and win an argument on a messageboard against someone who doesn't have the means/ability to get to the matches every week.  It's more about the way you use the fact that you're able to be at SJP and that you know more because of it that pulls any "superfan" assholeness into question.

Guest malandro

Its got f*** all to do with anything other than your ability to judge a player, read a game, whether you've played a decent level yourself and your general understanding of the game.

Someone like Ronaldo on here clearly knows the game well, i'd trust his view on a player after watching them for 90 minutes, whereas others i wouldnt trust if they'd watched every game the player had ever played in. This skill is the one that scouts have, not everyone has them and that is what ultimately gives weight to an opinion. Got f*** all to do with season tickets but a view at the match is better for assessing a player than the telly.

Not convinced by that, there’s pundits who played in the top flight whose analysis of the game beggars belief. Andy Townsend played at the World Cup did he not?

What would you class as a decent level?

Aye malandro, I should have added intelligence.

Whats a decent level? At least represented your school as a regular, county level, that sort of thing. I'm not saying you need to be a pro to have a good opinion, nor is playing the game the be all and end all, my post didn't imply it was either.

Aye malandro, I should have added intelligence.

Whats a decent level? At least represented your school as a regular, county level, that sort of thing. I'm not saying you need to be a pro to have a good opinion, nor is playing the game the be all and end all, my post didn't imply it was either.

If that's the case, that would mean you think that the vast majority of posters on this forum don't have a worthwhile opinion on football matters.

Fair enough in some cases (:blush: / :whistle:) but it does seem a bit harsh and raises the question why anyone would bother to carry on posting?

Guest Geordiekev

I'm glad someone has made a thread about this because it's something I've actually thought about making a thread on myself.  My gripe with the whole "I know more because I see them live every week" is that in fact, you're getting a more well rounded watching experience by seeing a match on TV.  You get the added benefit of replays, multiple angles, etc... How many times has someone's review of a contentious moment of a match started with "from where I sit it looked like..." and it be totally wrong?

Would I much rather be at a match?  Of course.  Watching sports live is how it was meant to be watched.

Does it make me a better fan or know more about players just because I see them in the flesh?  Definitely not.

I agree with your statement but when you get to see the team in action a handfull of times over the course of a season on TV then being at the game on a weekly basis does allow you to have a better overall judgement of a player (I'm not on about whether he had a good game on the day).

Watch the squad at 1st team and Reserve level and you do get a good idea of who puts the effort in, I listen to a few people at work slagging Jonas off actually disgusted that he plays for us because they have witnessed him spooning a few crosses and sending shots into the crowd in a particular game, my argument stands that I have also seen this BUT I've moreso witnessed him 1st hand win corners in double figures, free kicks around the box, assists that have led to many goals, shots that have both went in and been stopped by good goal keeping. (alot of these things are missed when the games not on air) listening to it on the radio is fine but I'm yet to find station that can offer full and acurate coverage of all the events that unfold..

It may just be the players attitude toward the team that is seen, the effort a player puts in week in week out, those little touches that make us all rise to our feet or the day that Jonas pulled on his mask... those are the moments that Radio and TV play second fiddle to watching live.

We all have our own opinion of players and to debate is what makes football what it is.

Its got f*** all to do with anything other than your ability to judge a player, read a game, whether you've played a decent level yourself and your general understanding of the game.

Someone like Ronaldo on here clearly knows the game well, i'd trust his view on a player after watching them for 90 minutes, whereas others i wouldnt trust if they'd watched every game the player had ever played in. This skill is the one that scouts have, not everyone has them and that is what ultimately gives weight to an opinion. Got f*** all to do with season tickets but a view at the match is better for assessing a player than the telly.

He's one of the last i would trust.

Impressed with Nolan again, no doubt. O0

I'm glad someone has made a thread about this because it's something I've actually thought about making a thread on myself.  My gripe with the whole "I know more because I see them live every week" is that in fact, you're getting a more well rounded watching experience by seeing a match on TV.  You get the added benefit of replays, multiple angles, etc... How many times has someone's review of a contentious moment of a match started with "from where I sit it looked like..." and it be totally wrong?

Would I much rather be at a match?  Of course.  Watching sports live is how it was meant to be watched.

Does it make me a better fan or know more about players just because I see them in the flesh?  Definitely not.

I agree with your statement but when you get to see the team in action a handfull of times over the course of a season on TV then being at the game on a weekly basis does allow you to have a better overall judgement of a player (I'm not on about whether he had a good game on the day).

In the PL pretty much every game is on TV/Illegal Stream.

No fan is better than any other, regardless of how many games they go to. Thats for sure. A supporter is a supporter is a supporter. However, someone may be more knowledgable about the team and state of affairs if they go to every game then someone who rarely gets to see the lads play. That dosent mean to say those with more knowledge are better supporters however.

Never understood this argument of people not being there live having a better view of the game as theyre looking in from the outside...its like how everyone else outside of our fans bums Nolan this season, my opinion lies somewhere in middle, but to claim he is the best in the entire football league is ridiculous, and maybe you do need to be at the game to see just how lazy/anonymous he is...

this is just an example like, but again as someone in kinda in the middle of this debate (been to about 14 home/away games this season, by no means "week-in week-out) i feel this is kinda the case. Its not a steadfast rule, but it does help going to games.

what ive just said is barely worth posting tbf!  :doh:

As an "used to be" overseas fan I have listened to my share of english fans saying that I had no right to an opinion as I was only watching 1 or 2 games live each season. However I still watched all our tv games on the local pub.

I don't see the difference to be honest, in fact the fan watching the game on tv will have seen all the replays and would be a person to discuss the game with.

Guest bobthemag

The arrogant ones are the foreigners/ex-pats who come on here and accuse folk who spend over a grand a year following the toon of being too critical of certain players and the management.

:clap:

He's one of the last i would trust.

Impressed with Nolan again, no doubt. O0

I was wondering when you would show up!

In all seriousness i think you are generally a good poster mate. At least you clearly give a shit.

Hows Beckford, oops i'm mean Cole ;)

Yorkie Makes a good point.

Having only been to 3 or 4 games this season, i wouldnt be telling a st. holder whats what.

However as ive bee going since 70s-a season ticket holder in 80s, 90s,  I feel im entitled to my say, tho it will be more aimed at the bigger picture-running of the club etc.

It may be that actually being there holder offers you a better view of the matches than just watching TV (having experienced both, I'd probably agree with this even...)

Still, we can't start assigning different credibility to people based on how they support the club. If we're going to start saying that some people's opinions are inherently better than others, we might as well just close this board down and open a new one which requires a ST for entry.

I think it's stupid for a foreign based supporter to claim that they have a better idea of a how a certain player is performing, especially this season when none of us have seen more than a handful of games.

But having said that I don't understand the resentment of foreign supporters having an opinion.  We get a thread like this every year.  Having Geordies (and non-Geordies) in Dubai, America, China, Europe etc. is one of the things that makes Newcastle a big club.  I'm sure the Scunthorpe and Doncaster season ticket holders don't have to put up with the opinions of a load of foreigners.  But you can't have it both ways.  If people take an interest, then people will have an opinion.  And it won't always be the same as yours.