The 'Superfan'

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Incidentally, when I go to any live event, whether it's a rock concert or a football match, it's usually to enjoy it with everyone else at the place rather than disect each players contribution on the day. I can't imagine where LLO is watching the game from to be so analytical at St James.

From the top of his high horse of course.

"I know Player X is shite because i watch him live every week at St James' Park. You do not have a season ticket therefore you have little evidence to back up your argument."

Is this a reasonable argument or is it just superfan bullshit? Genuine question here. Before i got a season ticket i used to think it was just a load of arrogant nonsense... however i've come across debates in the forum which i've hesitated to join, amidst the risk of sounding like an arrogant, know-it-all superfan. (Now having bought a ST).

But in all honesty, personally i do feel you have an 'argumental benefit' if you're there every week.

Totally not influenced by the Best thread.

It depends what the discussion is about.

Guest steppa

TBH, watching a live game is sensory overload for me. Add the pre-match drinks to the equation and quite often the highlights I see bare no resemblance to the game I've just witnessed.

It goes without saying if you watch us week in, week out you know more than someone who listens to us on the radio and watches a few games on TV. Hardly rocket science.

Nah, that's hardly correct.

It goes without saying if you watch us week in, week out you know more than someone who listens to us on the radio and watches a few games on TV. Hardly rocket science.

Greater exposure to something doesn't automatically endow someone with greater knowledge of it.

How?

For it to be correct you're saying you would unequivocally trust the opinion of someone who watched the team live over someone who watched it on TV, regardless of who those two people actually are.  If they were your grandma and Wenger, would it hold?  Or an 8 year old and Mancini?

Obviously not.  So there are more factors involved in "knowing more" than the property of watching it live vs remote.

I'm not questioning that it gives you the ability to make better judgments, but it does not bestow the realization of that potential upon you.

Depends who the person is. While I would agree that watching the game live is very different there are all sorts of people who watch at the ground, some are knowledgeable, some are complete spastics. I haven't had a season ticket for about three years now but I don't think everyone at the ground watching has a better handle on a players's qualities than me if I've seen him play a few live games on Sky.

Plenty of "supafans" on this forum who are arrogant enough to believe they are correct over every subject. There are even some whom i suspect make up an identity for themselves and pretend to go to games.

Personally, i do think you get a better view of things at the game, in fact i'm sure you do. However, all of this means nothing if the person at the game is an egotistical moron, who fails to listen to other peoples views and stand points. I mean how many times have you heard the guy behind you at the match talking absolute jiberish? It happens in almost every home game i go to and these people have probably been attending games for years.

You don't have to have a season ticket to know a great deal about football or the club it's self. The judgement of someone's footballing knowledge should be defined by what they say and the comments they make, regardless of their attendance.

There are some people on this forum who are a joy to listen to, even if i don't agree with them. There are others who will argue for the sake of it.... even if they probably don't actually believe themselves. That's football.

I'm missing my first home game in seven years next month.  :weep:

I'm sorry, i fail to see any plausible reason why you would miss a home game. Has someone died? because if they have i'm sure the funeral could be re-arranged. ;)

I'm missing my first home game in seven years next month.  :weep:

That'll be the game we seal our promotion, guaranteed. :laugh:

Bound to be a goalfest as well. I reckon Best will get a hat-trick, Smith will score and Butt will die on the way to the stadium.

I'm glad someone has made a thread about this because it's something I've actually thought about making a thread on myself.  My gripe with the whole "I know more because I see them live every week" is that in fact, you're getting a more well rounded watching experience by seeing a match on TV.  You get the added benefit of replays, multiple angles, etc... How many times has someone's review of a contentious moment of a match started with "from where I sit it looked like..." and it be totally wrong?

Would I much rather be at a match?  Of course.  Watching sports live is how it was meant to be watched.

Does it make me a better fan or know more about players just because I see them in the flesh?  Definitely not.

How?

For it to be correct you're saying you would unequivocally trust the opinion of someone who watched the team live over someone who watched it on TV, regardless of who those two people actually are.  If they were your grandma and Wenger, would it hold?  Or an 8 year old and Mancini?

Obviously not.  So there are more factors involved in "knowing more" than the property of watching it live vs remote.

I'm not questioning that it gives you the ability to make better judgments, but it does not bestow the realization of that potential upon you.

Comparing world class managers and old biddys is pointless in this context. We're all football fans, we're all vaguely knowledgable about the game. If you showed me two opinions, one from someone who has a season ticket/was at the game and another based on what Mick Lowes said/Match of the Day highlights I know who I'd give more credence and respect to. Obviously that's not to say the latter is any less of a fan, just less well placed to comment.

Highlights are all very well and good, you get a decent view of the key incidents and even match going fans will go home and watch late night BBC to get the goals, fouls, cards etc. but is it really enough to form strong opinions on players, tactics and a variety of other stuff? It's tantamount to reviewing a film from the trailer alone.

I'm glad someone has made a thread about this because it's something I've actually thought about making a thread on myself.  My gripe with the whole "I know more because I see them live every week" is that in fact, you're getting a more well rounded watching experience by seeing a match on TV.  You get the added benefit of replays, multiple angles, etc... How many times has someone's review of a contentious moment of a match started with "from where I sit it looked like..." and it be totally wrong?

Would I much rather be at a match?  Of course.  Watching sports live is how it was meant to be watched.

Does it make me a better fan or know more about players just because I see them in the flesh?  Definitely not.

On the downside, you're only ever going to see what the camera focuses upon. It's all the little things which add up to be hugely significant which a tv viewer misses out on. Insights like seeing some bastard dawdling about just because the ball's 40 yards away - better players are still very much in the game at that distance; not something easily detectable on tv, though.

Its got fuck all to do with anything other than your ability to judge a player, read a game, whether you've played a decent level yourself and your general understanding of the game.

Someone like Ronaldo on here clearly knows the game well, i'd trust his view on a player after watching them for 90 minutes, whereas others i wouldnt trust if they'd watched every game the player had ever played in. This skill is the one that scouts have, not everyone has them and that is what ultimately gives weight to an opinion. Got fuck all to do with season tickets but a view at the match is better for assessing a player than the telly.

Its got fuck all to do with anything other than your ability to judge a player, read a game, whether you've played a decent level yourself and your general understanding of the game.

Someone like Ronaldo on here clearly knows the game well, i'd trust his view on a player after watching them for 90 minutes, whereas others i wouldnt trust if they'd watched every game the player had ever played in. This skill is the one that scouts have, not everyone has them and that is what ultimately gives weight to an opinion. Got fuck all to do with season tickets but a view at the match is better for assessing a player than the telly.

He's one of the last i would trust.

Its got f*** all to do with anything other than your ability to judge a player, read a game, whether you've played a decent level yourself and your general understanding of the game.

Someone like Ronaldo on here clearly knows the game well, i'd trust his view on a player after watching them for 90 minutes, whereas others i wouldnt trust if they'd watched every game the player had ever played in. This skill is the one that scouts have, not everyone has them and that is what ultimately gives weight to an opinion. Got f*** all to do with season tickets but a view at the match is better for assessing a player than the telly.

He's one of the last i would trust.

:lol: I know what you mean!! Ronaldo is generally a knowledgeable fella but some of his "opinions" on some players are downright laughable.

Whilst I don't think having a season ticket is a prerequisite to having an opinion on how good a player is, I do always laugh when people slate or praise players (Or even more comically post player ratings) following a game they've only listened to on the radio.

And it goes without saying that the more you see a player play, the more chance you'll have of forming an accurate opinion on his ability.