Martin O'Neill

TheGuv

Remember villa have not progressed in last 2 years despite spending a shit load of money!

9M for curtis davies, and ppl say colocini was too expensive?

of course it is an unfair question, but has he spend more money at Villa than we did in the same period before starting the ashley savings (06-08)?

mon has spent a shit load of cash and you have to ask, have they progressed this season? not really for the cash spent,

then again theres still no reason to be rid of him and its moronic for any villa fan to suggest it

Guest neesy111

Remember villa have not progressed in last 2 years despite spending a shit load of money!

of course it is an unfair question, but has he spend more money at Villa than we did in the same period before starting the ashley savings (06-08)?

yes he's spent something like 150M

mon has spent a shit load of cash and you have to ask, have they progressed this season? not really for the cash spent,

then again theres still no reason to be rid of him and its moronic for any villa fan to suggest it

But do you think he would do a good job here if they did let him go (Villa would probably need to go into a very bad run of games for that to happen)?

I can't tell if people are saying he spend a shitload without getting anywhere, to say that he is a bad manager and that they wouldn't want him here, or are you just making a comment?

IIRC he did well in his first season turning round a side that looked like they would go down if O'Leary had stayed on without spending much.

Since the Lerner takeover they've spent a lot of money and he's delivered the bare minimum on that investment.

But do you think he would do a good job here if they did let him go (Villa would probably need to go into a very bad run of games for that to happen)?

I can't tell if people are saying he spend a shitload without getting anywhere, to say that he is a bad manager and that they wouldn't want him here, or are you just making a comment?

id have him here, good manager has done a fairly good job at villa but there are questions to be asked about his money spent and actual progress made. he has made some excellent bargain signings like dunne and collins (snips at 5m each) but also some bad ones (shorey then not using him, beye then not using him, harewood, reo coker heskey)

What more realistically could he have done? The clubs they are fighting it out with have also invested fair amounts into their squads so it's not like he has taken over at Villa and improved the squad while everyone else stood still.

Guest Heneage

Remember villa have not progressed in last 2 years despite spending a s*** load of money!

He's been hampered by injuries to be fair.

I think O'Neill has done fantastic at Villa.  The 7 - 1 is a freak result, but knee-jerking and suggesting O'Neill should be gone is crazy talk.  Who would they replace him with? they could end up sliding back to a mid-table team if they didn't get in a very good manager to replace him.

Just looking at his actual league positions at Villa. And they have improved every year since he got appointed, with the 60 points they got 07-08 being their best since 96-97. 62 last year and could still be more this year. I still don't think he has had as good an original squad + spending as Tottenham, City and Liverpool, so it's a bit unfair to expect them to finish above these three.

My wife is Villa and I used to work near(ish) the ground so I've seen a lot of them these last couple of years. I don't think any Villa fan would argue that he's done a great job turning them round, the problems people have are

(1) The football played is counter-attacking, with no Plan B, and no suggestion that this will change soon

(2) He makes peculiar choices (teams, substitutions, full-backs, alleged favouritism) to the extent that some see as pure bloody-mindedness

(3) In the last 2 years he has spent a lot of money without a great deal of progress, from a position of some strength

Mix that in with the grumblers that every team has and the lack of trophies won and you've got trouble. The fact that the chairman has done a fantastic job and is seen to have supported MON fully (particularly with money) and MON has had nowhere to hide. Then you've got Spurs & Everton visibly improving and City getting wodges of cash.

If I was a mid-table or worse Prem team, or a side looking for promotion to the Prem then I'd have him without hesitation. I'm not convinced he can take a side like Villa that extra step.

Coloccini > Curtis

Hughton > Hobbit

Gutierrez > Gabriel

Andy > Ashley

etc,etc.

Yes, that's also why fully expect us to be challenging for CL places next year.

I agree. With ease. We just need two central midfielders and we're sorted.

Coloccini > Curtis

Hughton > Hobbit

Gutierrez > Gabriel

Andy > Ashley

etc,etc.

TWo central midfieldes and we should be title challengers IMO.

Coloccini > Curtis

Hughton > Hobbit

Gutierrez > Gabriel

Andy > Ashley

etc,etc.

:coolsmiley:

Coloccini > Curtis

Hughton > Hobbit

Gutierrez > Gabriel

Andy > Ashley

etc,etc.

:shifty:

We should stop this now before others see this and start calling us deluded.

Coloccini > Curtis

Hughton > Hobbit

Gutierrez > Gabriel

Andy > Ashley

etc,etc.

:shifty:

We should stop this now before others see this and start calling us deluded.

Especially when we lost tomorrow and we don't think we'll get promoted - then they'll say we're fickle too.