Martin O'Neill

TheGuv

It's strange how people treat O'Neill as some kind of genius but don't rate Rednapp despite both being huge spenders and the latter getting better results, buying better players and playing better football. If you spend 150m and are still lumping it to Emile Heskey there's a problem.

It's strange how people treat O'Neill as some kind of genius but don't rate Rednapp despite both being huge spenders and the latter getting better results, buying better players and playing better football. If you spend 150m and are still lumping it to Emile Heskey there's a problem.

oneill is likeable redcrap leaves a trail of broken clubs

Wenger isn't likeable, Ferguson isn't likeable..doesnt say much for their abilities.

They've both got the perfect chance to build a top four team and O'Neill looks like the one who has reached his peak, if he cant do it at Villa he never will.

O'Neill is a good manager, certainly one of the better ones around I don't think anybody could disagree with that. He has his faults though, like being tactically one dimensional and also being naive in the transfer market.

I'd be annoyed with some of their buys over the last few seasons, they've spent large amounts of money on some players that if they were from abroad would be regarded as typical foriegn flops. I like the fact he has faith in English/British players but I'd be kind upset knowing we'd never take a gamble on a foreign based player while he's in charge - is Carew the only exception? Even he was a swap deal with Baros (Superb bit of business that).

Would I take him here? Yes, without a doubt, but not before Hodgson or Grant for example.

Anyway he wouldn't dare come here, he'd get nowhere near the cash to spend.

He is a top manager. I would love to have him here(i agree with sewelly not before hodgson ). He does give hope to Hughton though doesn't he ? In the way that both are questionable tactically but seem to get the squad equiped with a good mentality.

The Newcastle job is like the England job. Heaps of expectation (due to the massive following) a massive amount of pressure (again due to the massive amount of following from the media) and a dream story club/nation. If anyone won anything here they'd be remembered forever and make legendary status. Likewise with England. It takes someone with bollocks to take this job, and I don't believe MON is the mon to do that mon. Especially with minimal cash and Ashley in charge.

I generally think he is a tit, but he is a half decent manager.

Nevertheless, this role isn't vacant - we already have a Premiership manager in charge, thankyou.

The Newcastle job is like the England job. Heaps of expectation (due to the massive following) a massive amount of pressure (again due to the massive amount of following from the media) and a dream story club/nation. If anyone won anything here they'd be remembered forever and make legendary status. Likewise with England. It takes someone with bollocks to take this job, and I don't believe MON is the mon to do that mon. Especially with minimal cash and Ashley in charge.

Nevertheless, this role isn't vacant - we already have a Premiership manager in charge, thankyou.

O0

O0

:coolsmiley:

The final of the League Cup. Semi-finals of the FA Cup. Still in contention for a Champions League place.

I mean how bad can things get?

3rd, 4th, 5th and a Champions League Second Phase place.

Fwiw, it'll probably need someone like brummie to tell us: what's the actual reason for the criticism? Yes, they may be in the minority but there'll be a reason for their comments.

Fwiw, it'll probably need someone like brummie to tell us: what's the actual reason for the criticism? Yes, they may be in the minority but there'll be a reason for their comments.

probably like nolan for us. from the outside no-one can understand why we have a go.

They need someone better if they're to progress imo. Too inconsistent, managing at Leicester and Celtic is a bit different to getting a team into the top 4 of the Premier League.

I can see their frustration. The past two seasons they have had legitimate chances to get in the top four and have thrown it away in the second half of the season. Don't think that merits a sacking but he needs to get it right in the next 18 months, especially seen as Lerner hasn't really put any caps on what he can spend.

You have just beaten your own point.

Villa were not a mid table side when O'Neill took over, they were much worse than that. Under Ellis and O'Leary etc they were doomed to failure.

To be unhappy with their position is utterly deluded. Sure they want to improve but if they sack O'Neill how is that ever going to happen? They won't hire a better manager.. end of.

Under O'Neill they will probably win a trophy IMO.

Brummie has been quite crtical of him in the past iirc. reckons the fans have been ready to pounce for a while, he seemed to think MON would go earlier in the season.

bizarre positioning of players etc seems ot be the main reason, and also a lack of a plan b.

Not really a huge fan of MoN myself.  I don't enjoy watching Aston Villa play.  They pull out some big wins but in effect, MoN to me is just another Allardyce with a bit more flair.  He sets his teams up "not to lose" first and win second.

I know a lot of Villans thru work

they reckon MoN is a really good manager but he just doesn't have the resources to make a couple of really big buys that would enable them to step up

he has to sign older or not so good players if only to keep his squad at a reasonable size and shape.  He's good at making good players into really good players (e.g. Milner - and a few reckon he should by the Zog as well)

I htink we would be in the same boat if he was with us TBH

I can see why they'd be frustrated like. Playing a centre-back in preference of two perfectly reasonable right-backs, and Heskey over Carew is odd to say the least. For the second season running 4th was there for the taking, and they've blown it. Doubt they'll go anywhere near it again because Liverpool & Man City, possibly Spurs, will pull away from them next season.

Guest cla1dwa

i think there is understandable frustration as villa always look like a decent side early in the season, (i mean, their record against the bigger teams this year has been excellent), but they switch off towards the end of the season and drift away a bit. i mean, it's easy to say 'they were shit under o leary and now they're better,' but if i was a villa fan i'd want to see some progress. sixth last year, same the year before, seventh this year and with a few tricky games to come (everton, man city away) i wouldn't back them to finish any higher, given their poor form and poor goal difference. (they need to make up ten goals on liverpool). it's almost as if villa have become the typical 'perfectly decent but never anything to get really excited about' side.

i rate o'neill in the main, and you cannot forget what he did for them when he took over. they were seriously close to the drop at one point. but his persistence with heskey just makes me wonder. he's a seriously shit player.

as for the gimps who wouldn't have him here.  :facepalm:

he'd be one of the best manager's we've had in the last 30 years.

i think there is understandable frustration as villa always look like a decent side early in the season, (i mean, their record against the bigger teams this year has been excellent), but they switch off towards the end of the season and drift away a bit. i mean, it's easy to say 'they were s*** under o leary and now they're better,' but if i was a villa fan i'd want to see some progress. sixth last year, same the year before, seventh this year and with a few tricky games to come (everton, man city away) i wouldn't back them to finish any higher, given their poor form and poor goal difference. (they need to make up ten goals on liverpool). it's almost as if villa have become the typical 'perfectly decent but never anything to get really excited about' side.

i rate o'neill in the main, and you cannot forget what he did for them when he took over. they were seriously close to the drop at one point. but his persistence with heskey just makes me wonder. he's a seriously s*** player.

as for the gimps who wouldn't have him here.  :facepalm:

he'd be one of the best manager's we've had in the last 30 years.

Agree with all, but your last 2 sentences sum up everything perfectly..!

Here we are, warmly patting ourselves on the back and being patronising about O'Neill and we are in the CCC... he has won more Domestic silverware than NUFC has in 55 years, but I suppose his knockers will claim he did it with 'unattractive football'...DOH..!!

What he has achieved with Milner alone makes us look mugs and anyone who wouldn't swap places with Villa now needs their head examining.