Sunderland...

Heron

Not seen him play. Seems an exciting talent though, by all accounts. Considering his wages will be low I think it's a reasonable price really - they won't mind paying the extra brass if he does the business. We paid £5m for Jenas when he was 18, in 2002.

We were one of the top clubs in the league at the time, he had the likes of Speed who he could learn from, and there wasn't any real danger that a much bigger club would come in for him. We were also able to ease him in a bit with having the likes of Dyer as well in that position.

Wickham is going to a club where they have one main striker, he'll be expected to hit the ground running, and if he does well, he'll be off.

And they'll make more than £8m. Win/win in terms of the fee they've paid.

How do you know he'll be a success in the premier?

Not seen him play. Seems an exciting talent though, by all accounts. Considering his wages will be low I think it's a reasonable price really - they won't mind paying the extra brass if he does the business. We paid £5m for Jenas when he was 18, in 2002.

We were one of the top clubs in the league at the time, he had the likes of Speed who he could learn from, and there wasn't any real danger that a much bigger club would come in for him. We were also able to ease him in a bit with having the likes of Dyer as well in that position.

Wickham is going to a club where they have one main striker, he'll be expected to hit the ground running, and if he does well, he'll be off.

They've lost their main source of goals and replaced him with someone unproven. I wouldn't be happy if Carroll's replacement was another young one who you don't know about. Much sooner have someone who's proven they've got goals in them.

Guest CheickMansour

Apparently scoring 8 goals in 37 in the Championship qualifies you as the best teenager in the world now :lol:

Aye, there's little chance he's ready for the top flight like. Lovenkrands hit 13 in 29(?) and Shola hit 10 in 18 games, and they're both out their depth in the PL (except Shola on form).

Overall, it's a good gamble that could pay off well in a few years. But I doubt he'll add much to the squad in the immediate future. He'll need plenty of game time over the next few years; and depending on how he develops, I could see him getting poached before they get the best out of him.

They've lost their main source of goals and replaced him with someone unproven. I wouldn't be happy if Carroll's replacement was another young one who you don't know about. Much sooner have someone who's proven they've got goals in them.

Proven goalscorers tend to cost more than £8m, especially if they've proven it in the Premier League.

Proven goalscorers tend to cost more than £8m, especially if they've proven it in the Premier League.

Course they do, but when you need someone who's going to walk into their team and do that for them, is Wickham going to do that? If they go out and get another proven striker of some sort then it's a great deal, but as it stands, I'd tip Ba to get more than Wickham.

Read my post. I haven't seen him play.

So what are you basing the opinion that they'll make more than £8m on?

Read the conversation.

I read it but I don't really understand the correlation with Jenas other than he's a young English talent. Strikers are judged on goals so if he doesn't score enough of them there's no way his value will stay at £8m.

Course they do, but when you need someone who's going to walk into their team and do that for them, is Wickham going to do that? If they go out and get another proven striker of some sort then it's a great deal, but as it stands, I'd tip Ba to get more than Wickham.

Me too. All I was saying was that £8m doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me all things considered.

If it was us signing allegedly the most exciting young striking talent in England for £8m I'd be pretty happy. If he was their only striker then yes it'd look more risky, but they already have Gyan who is miles better than everyone on here claimed when they signed him.

Read the conversation.

I read it but I don't really understand the correlation with Jenas other than he's a young English talent. Strikers are judged on goals so if he doesn't score enough of them there's no way his value will stay at £8m.

That comment was in direct response to Nut saying if he hits the ground running he'll be off. In which case why would his value go down?

Read the conversation.

That comment was in direct response to Nut saying if he hits the ground running he'll be off. In which case why would his value go down?

Okay, I didn't really register the "if" qualification there. I agree then. If he's a success he'll be well worth more than £8m.

As likely to end up as David Nugent than Wayne Rooney to be fair. Saying that, would have been relatively excited if we'd signed him. Be very interested to see how he develops, could well cost Bruce his job if he doesn't perform by the end of the season.

I don't disagree that 8m for Wickham is a pretty decent value. Even if he only turns out to be as good as... say, Bobby Zamora, they'll still probably get somebody to pay 8m for him at some point down the line.

That said, regardless of the potential return on investment, it's only a good use of money if you've got enough left over to spend on areas that need to be improved immediately.

I'd be decently happy if NUFC got Wickham for 8m, but I wouldn't be happy if that was where the majority of our transfer budget went.

Sunderland need a goalscorer. So far they've bought two very young strikers who have everything to prove for a combined total of 11.5m. Like i said earlier, it could work out but unless they have a bottomless pit of money this summer, it could also be a big mistake.

Me too. All I was saying was that £8m doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me all things considered.

If it was us signing allegedly the most exciting young striking talent in England for £8m I'd be pretty happy. If he was their only striker then yes it'd look more risky, but they already have Gyan who is miles better than everyone on here claimed when they signed him.

:no: I loved Gyan every time I saw him in international games.

Erdnic isn't all that prolific is he? and he seems to be our main target.

Just think we are in very similar positions, also don't think we should sell Best unless he is pushing to leave.

In the 4 seasons he's been a regular Ligue 1 striker he's got 45 in 130. 1 goal in 3 striker.

I stand corrected :thup:

:no: I loved Gyan every time I saw him in international games.

I did too. Then he decided that the mackems were a good career move. :no:

Guest neesy111

Honestly don't know what to make of the Whickham transfer, but his goal record is pretty poor for the championship.

Guest Howaythetoon

They have done well thus far in their dealings and have shown ambition by signing a highly rated youngster. For him and indeed their forwards to get amongs the goals however, they need to add some flair to their midfield and Bruce needs to be less conservative defensively. This may upset some but they've shown more ambition in the last 3 years than we have and we can only thank the fact that Keane and Bruce two extremely shitty managers have been in charge during those years because a half competent manager like O'Niell or Hughes would have possibly brought a top 6 finish, European footy and maybe even a trophy given the support financially and ambition they have shown. With Bruce in charge though they'll never move forward.