FA Youth Cup Semi Final Tonight @ SJP KO. 7pm

Skirge

Guest Brazilianbob

Its looking as though we missed our chance at villa in the first leg.  We really should have put this tie out of reach in the first leg which we dominated without putting our chances away.

Disappointing, thought we played some good football at times but it either didn't fall right for us in the final third or we sodded up the final ball. Just wasn't our night unfortunately.

The best team lost, we played very well and should have had a penalty when the Villa keeper pushed one of our players to the ground.  We didn't have a poor player on the pitch and were beaten by an unlucky goal.  We didn't get in until 7:10 because he crowds were down to the corner of the Gallowgate, I didn't expect to have to wait for more than 20 minutes to get in.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't like saying this but Villa did not deserve to go through. Toon played some great football at times, they joked they watched Barca and Arsenal vids, but at times some of the pass and move stuff was great. However, just like Arsenal, we lacked a killer instinct up front with no one willing to shoot, and when someone did it was often weak or wide.

Typically, against the run of play, Villa scored a shit goal, probably go down as a Alnwick own goal. A crap shot bounced through the area, over a Alnwick's flopping reach, bounced off the post, bounced back into play off Alnwick's back and into the goal. Utter shite. Strangely Alnwick had a poor game, looked weak on crosses and didn't command his area very well. The less said about his kicking the better.

Conor Newton was Mr. Energy in the middle and played some lovely deep through balls for Airey to run on to, however his 1st touch and finishing let him down.

On the stroke of Half Time Jeff Henderson was stretchered off after the Villa #12 crunched him late, though the ref deemed he won the ball. Seconds later Phil Airey clattered the Villa #12 in retribution put picked a booking up for his trouble. This would come back to haunt him midway through the 2nd half when he fouled again and was sent off for his troubles.

Adjei came close in the 2nd half with a curling dipping shot that grazed the top of the bar. With the introduction of Haris Vuckic (for Greg McDermott) and Patrick Nzuzi (for Henderson), the toon seemed to get a bit of extra energy. Vuckic often at the thick of things, playing one twos with Netwon and Adjei, and putting some lovely spun balls through with the outside of his left foot.

The 2nd half was wild and open with the Toon going to 3-2-4 (or there abouts), which sadly resulted in a lot of long ball with 10mins to go, which was easy for Villa's #4 to head away. With all the pressure Toon were piling on you could sense that Villa would break away and score and second. It almost happened in the 94th minute when Villa #10 (Simmonds) broke free, rounded Alnwick and bore down on goal with a lax attitude as if he knew he was going to score. He missed from 2 yards out with his Villa team mates berating him.

Can't believe we have lost that game tonight,  NUFC dominated for virtually all the game, even when we were down to ten men we still had all the possession.  Chris sums up the game pretty well,  they'd scored a right jammy goal with the lads header coming back off the post and hitting Alnwick on the head as he was on the ground....

Thought the two centre halves, Folan and Henderson(before he was injured) were excellent, the midfield bright but just lacked a cutting edge up front.  I Wonder if Joyce is now thinking it may have been a better idea starting with Vuckic and giving him the first hour,  he looked on a different level to every other player on the pitch when he came on.

Only disappointment for me was Tavernier, he had a mare and that was the worst i've ever seen him play in about 2 years. Only thing he done was block the ball on the line to stop Simmonds getting a 2nd goal in the last minute.  I only hope tonight hasn't dented his confidence and he bounces back as he's much better than tonights showing.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Only disappointment for me was Tavernier, he had a mare and that was the worst i've ever seen him play in about 2 years. Only thing he done was block the ball on the line to stop Simmonds getting a 2nd goal in the last minute.  I only hope tonight hasn't dented his confidence and he bounces back as he's much better than tonights showing.

Agree with this. Tav's constant long ball launching was getting really frustrating towards the end, especially when you had Newton and Vuckic dropping deep in the middle to collect the ball and play it forward.

Just got back in. Shame like, thought we played well too. Lost to a weak goal.

As mentioned by Chris there was some lovely passing in the middle with Vuckic and that. Very pretty at times. Red head kid deserves a shout out, broke up some plays at vital times and was canny going forward.

Agree about Tav, binnsy. He's usually solid and one of my favourites.

There were some people getting on the players backs where I was sitting, calling them all sorts. You expect that at first team level but thought not youth. I would have said something but I didn't wanna get beat up on  :knuppel2:  :razz:

There were some people getting on the players backs where I was sitting, calling them all sorts.

Aye, I heard some of this too. Bit of a shame really.

Well summed up Chris.  :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just got back in. Shame like, thought we played well too. Lost to a weak goal.

As mentioned by Chris there was some lovely passing in the middle with Vuckic and that. Very pretty at times. Red head kid deserves a shout out, broke up some plays at vital times and was canny going forward.

That Conor Newton, does that every game, very under rated.