NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I agree with Ronaldo tbh, Guthrie's fitness/endurance has been shocking and can be worked on. I also don't see where he said we should ignore the attributes he already has.

I like Guthrie a lot but he/the club really need to work on his fitness as he fades far too early which isn't useful at this level.

I read an interview with Colo a few months back in which he said he was using the gym after training to lift weights and had gained 5 kilos or so because of it. Perhaps the club have implemented personally-tailored training, or he could he have just decided himself that he needed to do it.

Either way, Guthrie (and a few others) should be involved in the same thing. A 'one size' approach suits nobody.

Training people for something they are not naturally built for and neglecting their strengths is asking to be raped! f***ing going on about Guthries weaknesses for months man. All this we must bulk up, you work for  Holland & Barrett or something?

You sound very impssive going on about hypertrophy etc but its all bollocks like

Kezman asked, I answered.

Kevin Nolan needs to lose weight, Coloccini and Guthrie need to gain a little, it's not rocket science. If you can't see that Danny Guthrie as a CM doesn't need to improve his physical strength/presence, you either don't go to the games or you're just attempting to initiate another daft arguement.

Nobody is asking for footballing strengths to be neglected. But blatant physical weaknesses need to be worked on, which is what athletes from every other sport do, no reason for it to be omitted from football.

Interview with Yilmaz the Bayern striker.

http://www.goal.com/fr/news/33/transferts/2010/07/31/2050486/all-bayern-yilmaz-mon-objectif-cest-de-passer-de-la-3-%C3%A8me

We heard of interest from Newcastle, Blackpool, WBA, Stoke & Blackburn. Can you confirm this?

Yes, I've had some concrete offers from England. I am convinced that my style of play would suit the English game perfectly. My aim is to go from the German Third Division, to the English Premier League, despite offers from Basle & Bruges.

I read an interview with Colo a few months back in which he said he was using the gym after training to lift weights and had gained 5 kilos or so because of it. Perhaps the club have implemented personally-tailored training, or he could he have just decided himself that he needed to do it.

Either way, Guthrie (and a few others) should be involved in the same thing. A 'one size' approach suits nobody.

Training people for something they are not naturally built for and neglecting their strengths is asking to be raped! f***ing going on about Guthries weaknesses for months man. All this we must bulk up, you work for  Holland & Barrett or something?

You sound very impssive going on about hypertrophy etc but its all bollocks like

Kezman asked, I answered.

Kevin Nolan needs to lose weight, Coloccini and Guthrie need to gain a little, it's not rocket science. If you can't see that Danny Guthrie as a CM doesn't need to improve his physical strength/presence, you either don't go to the games or you're just attempting to initiate another daft arguement.

Nobody is asking for footballing strengths to be neglected. But blatant physical weaknesses need to be worked on, which is what athletes from every other sport do, no reason for it to be omitted from football.

So would Messi need to bulk up in order to be able to take on defences properly?

Guthrie is a passer, a thinking footballer. OK maybe where he plays for u he gets into battles, but thats no reason to say he needs to gain weight and bulk up, that would be to his detriment.

He'll need strength training and build up his muscular endurance like any other footballr, but if we're so concerned about his lack of physicality in the centre of the par then replace him, or get someone else in to do that job.

Guthrie's something like 5'8 ffs, if he gains weight and muscular bulk then he will be less mobile, fact. Then you'll be complaining about how his passing has demised.

If he doesn't build up with the regular training and weight raining he does then unfortunately that's just him. You don't then force it upon his body.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just opposing your opinion

Messi is the best footballer in the world with very good athleticism and strength for his size, why on earth would he need to bulk up? :lol:

Guthrie is a very capable footballer who'll never hit his true potential if he can't last 90 minutes or hold someone off the ball. Something needs to change or he'll amount to very little in top level football.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I thought this thread was called Transfer rumours in the press? not my rumours as that's another thread.

You'll soon realize it's all the same.

Well no, otherwise I would post in the other thread.....  not related to the press tool

I thought this thread was called Transfer rumours in the press? not my rumours as that's another thread.

You'll soon realize it's all the same.

Well no, otherwise I would post in the other thread.....  not related to the press tool

It's all in the press' heads, man. It's all in everybody's heads. There is no reality, there is no us. What is this place? Is this real life?

OK, you've posted a sensible statement there in 2 sentences. He needs to be able to last 90 minutes and hold up the ball.

You've earlier mentioned his poor natural fitness and his need for hypertrophy of his muscles, when in actual fact most cases of poor strength are from poor muscular endurance rather than poor explosive strength. Also, our lack of fitness seems to be squad wide, minus some exceptions.

I just don't get your continued picking out of Guthrie being weaker than your average. You've said it once, fair enough.

But putting Guthrie on an individual weight training program and/or improving his fitness by improving his anaerobic capacity is ludicrous when he's mostly an aerobic player.

He needs more time doing what he does naturally against better opposition to best improve his srength and endurance as he'll then have improvements in the area's he uses naturally.

Come on, man. He gets knocked off the ball like a rag doll, it's an issue of size and exertion. And you can't argue for a second that his stamina isn't lacking, he just needs to work on it.

I haven't singled Guthrie out, Colo is another one who needs to adapt his physical form, as is Nolan, clearly.

With Guthrie, it's a case of a very talented footballer being significantly restricted by something fairly simple to improve upon. Has there ever been a genuinely successful central midfielder in the history of the PL who couldn't impose himself physically? Doubtful.

OK. I do agree with that. But I don't think the answer is singling him out for specific strength training in the gym and anaerobic circuit training (it may not have been yourself that mention the CT). That is putting far too much emphasis on a quality he will never have.

He's about 70% slow twitch, its going to be nye on impossible to turn him into a zippy rugged CM. What he is, I feel, is a very clever passer and a brain where he can think 3 or 4 passes ahead as well as having great weight and direction to his passing. That is something we severely lack and I wouldn't want to put tha at risk for him being stronger. We aren't going to get many decent assists next year, Guthries touch will be important for us getting goals and I think doing too much to his physique will be dangerous in that respect.

Unfortunately he won't get stronger in the centre until he learns how to hold himself and has the muscle memory to deal with it. Similarly with his stamina, he'll only improve effectively by playing his game more often. Then his muscles will have the endurance to utilise their strength more often and for longer and his lung capacity will naturally increase.

Unfortunately, he'll be a weak little shit for a while, its a question of whether we can afford to wait until training over a long period and matches improve this whilst utilising his strengths and covering for his weaknesses elsewhere, or we ditch his strengths and plug for someone else.

We don't have a player of that type in the squad, so I think he'd be a good buy.

It's not 100% clear from that article who's making the running though - whether it's Penarol or the agent eager to find a club, or whether it's us eager to sign him. Bit like the Ben Arfa story.

If the reason we don't get TC is because we can't guarentee he'll play regularly, we should be fucking shot. He's got more in his locker than any of our current lot put together.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If the reason we don't get TC is because we can't guarentee he'll play regularly, we should be f***ing shot. He's got more in his locker than any of our current lot put together.

:sadnod:

OK. I do agree with that. But I don't think the answer is singling him out for specific strength training in the gym and anaerobic circuit training (it may not have been yourself that mention the CT). That is putting far too much emphasis on a quality he will never have.

He's about 70% slow twitch, its going to be nye on impossible to turn him into a zippy rugged CM. What he is, I feel, is a very clever passer and a brain where he can think 3 or 4 passes ahead as well as having great weight and direction to his passing. That is something we severely lack and I wouldn't want to put tha at risk for him being stronger. We aren't going to get many decent assists next year, Guthries touch will be important for us getting goals and I think doing too much to his physique will be dangerous in that respect.

Unfortunately he won't get stronger in the centre until he learns how to hold himself and has the muscle memory to deal with it. Similarly with his stamina, he'll only improve effectively by playing his game more often. Then his muscles will have the endurance to utilise their strength more often and for longer and his lung capacity will naturally increase.

Unfortunately, he'll be a weak little s*** for a while, its a question of whether we can afford to wait until training over a long period and matches improve this whilst utilising his strengths and covering for his weaknesses elsewhere, or we ditch his strengths and plug for someone else.

there are many players of slight build who can hold onto the ball and not be forced off it. guthrie's problem is less one of bulk as much as ability and confidence in it..

Who would you drop for Cleverly though?

Jonas is an international player who we know is good enough. Routledge was one of our best players last season. Yes we need back up but maybe he's too good to be a backup player. Especially when we're desperate for players in other areas.

Who would you drop for Cleverly though?

Jonas is an international player who we know is good enough. Routledge was one of our best players last season. Yes we need back up but maybe he's too good to be a backup player. Especially when we're desperate for players in other areas.

On the assumption that Nolan will be in the line-up no matter what and that Routledge & Jonas are going to be on the wings, it'll be one of Smith / Guthrie / Barton bring dropped in a 4-4-2.