NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

"United could also land Chelsea’s England Under-21 striker Daniel Sturridge, although the £10m needed to sign him has put an end to negotiations for the time being"

£10m? f***ing hell, get him signed you cheap b******.

That price is not accurate i assume. :lol:

He must be on quite a bit at Chelsea too.  I doubt we could afford his wages.

I think its clear the Journal don't really know exactly what is going on. They probably do know there is an interest in N'Zogbia and Sturridge, but thats probably all they do know. They have definitely got some names right this summer, but whether players signed or not, they havent got the details right really. They definitely seem to know something about targets/sales but I don't think they know what is going on in detail.

£10 f***ing million and we haven't already bought him... ffs

I really don't think we should be assuming that figure is correct.

Until we get some clarification from Edwards (I guess a few of us has asked him already), I'd say there is reason enough to assume it's right.

The thing is if the quoted prices were right then I think the £22m in total would be very well spent to bring them both here, they would complete our front 6 and make us a potentially outstanding attacking force. No way do I believe that price on Sturridge like. If the prices are true though then I would definitely question whether there is much over £20m to spend because if the full Carroll money was available then surely they would go out and pay that money then it'd leave them with some money left over to strengthen the squad a bit. If theres not over £20m left to spend though then it would be understandable that we aren't spending the rest of our money on 2 players.

Guest jonnyameobi

Dunno if this qualifies for this thread, but my pals been talking to Michael Carrick in a service station, just got back off hols and weve enquired about him......

The 10m quoted for Sturridge does make you question the credibility of the of the Journal. To be fair if we're signing players like Cayabe for 4.5m and bringing in the likes of Merveux and Ba on frees then there's no excuses for not shelling out on strikers or atleast one top striker with the Carroll cash that they have. 10-12m for a striker shouldn't be an issue.

get in there now with a year loan plus a view to transfer at the end of next season - can't imagine why we wouldn't have done that already tbh

suppose we might have ???

EDIT: meant to say fix the fee now, 15m plus 5m add ons or something

I'd pay up to about £15m for Sturridge. He's done at least as much as Carroll, fee would be justified in the current climate. Exactly what we need, plus I'd like us to sign at least one English player. We've got loads of money from the Carroll sale, spend them on a striker rather than Matuidi.

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

Also being reported that Villas-Boas's 'Special Two' first signing will be Falcao, but lets just await for confirmation #cfc

Sturridge would definitely be going if that was the case.

Falcao also rumoured to join Chelsea if Villas-Boas becomes the manager. Hopefully that will happen and Sturridge will be availiable.

Sturridge would seem to be an amazing signing, at £10m or even 15 it has to be good value. He's shown what he can do in the Premier League, and will be keen for first-team football.

Chelsea should just play him, but I guess they'll buy another couple of overpriced superstars and he'll still be well down the pecking order.

I just can't see us paying that much for anyone.

I'm not so sure. I see why you might think that, but I reckon Pards might be able to convince the club to loosen the purse strings for one big-ish signing if we're making savings elsewhere.

Possibly wishful thinking, we'll see!

Think it's safe to say that if we do make a serious bid for Sturridge, it wont be at this stage of the transfer window.

be nice to think the early 'cheap' deals are intended to leave the finance in place for the possibility of sturridge becoming available like, can't see it myself however

Guest SuperShola!

So far, we've sold Nolan for 4Mill and signed Cabaye for 4.5Mill. Marveaux and Ba both signed on a free, aye?

If so, this means we still have 34.5Mill? Or, would some of that been used on wages?