NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Barton\Guthrie

Rout                                    Jonas

Arfa             

KPB

Carroll

That would make me fooking drool if it happened

It's the fact you're relying on one of Guthrie or Barton to cover the defence for that array of attack minded players.

You would be happier with smith and nolan then?

No. That team has one central midfielder and a set of wingers and second strikers/strikers. There is absolutely no balance and we'd get ripped to shreads.

We'd get turned over on a weekly basis with a team like that.

Oh so which wouldn't then?  Should be interesting

Employing a holding midfielder would be a start...

Yes in the ideal world, but we're not linked with any

We'd get turned over on a weekly basis with a team like that.

Oh so which wouldn't then?  Should be interesting

Employing a holding midfielder would be a start...

Yes in the ideal world, but we're not linked with any

And to compensate we play an extra attacker? 

Awesome.

It's the fact you're relying on one of Guthrie or Barton to cover the defence for that array of attack minded players.

No. That team has one central midfielder and a set of wingers and second strikers/strikers. There is absolutely no balance and we'd get ripped to shreads.

LOL

Really think you have no clue what balance is.

That would be the most balanced newcastle i've seen in a few years.

LOL

Really think you have no clue what balance is.

That would be the most balanced newcastle i've seen in a few years.

:lol:

Jesus Christ.

Do you understand that Jonas and Routledge are both out and out wingers while KPB and Ben Arfa in that formation would basically be in the same position as each other.

That formation in reality is basically 4-1-5.

The team would end up looking like:

Keeper--defence--guthrie or barton-------------massive space------------the attack.

Guthrie doesn't have the presence or stamina to fill that gap so the defence would be brutally raped every game.

What team do you know that plays 2 wingers and 2 attacking midfielders in the same team?

The strain that line-up places on Guthrie/Barton is absolutely insane man :lol:

Who cares as long as we'd be starting our best players, doesn't mean shit if it's balanced or they're in their correct positions you know! Just as long as they're the best players we have at our disposal. [/bontempi]

What team do you know that plays 2 wingers and 2 attacking midfielders in the same team?

Did you even watch KPB in the world cup?

When Ghana lost the ball he dropped back central and was tenacious along with anan in the middle, part of the reason why they progressed so far.

OK. Well then.

In our current predicament we lack a holding midfielder of sufficient quality. Therefore, especially in the opening game of the season, we need to make sure that the people operating in midfield are well covered defensively.

Personally I'd opt for a flat 4 in midfield. The result would be almost like operating with 2 banks of 4 defenders when not in possession. I would also employ two forwards to ensure that there would be constant pressure on the opposition defence. At the moment I'd favour Carroll and Best as they offer the best aerial threat and I think that's where we'd get the most joy. We'd have to attack through counters and play with sufficient speed and a directness - opting for as many direct cross into the box as possible.  The problem is ensuring that Barton and Guthrie are disciplined enough to play almost as holding midfielders.

Jonas Guthrie Barton Taylor is probably our best bet at present (purely from a defensive balance). If we have some room and a bit of freedom than I would use Rutledge as opposed to Taylor.

Yes, we do lack a holding midfielder though. It's bad.

When Ghana lost the ball he dropped back central and was tenacious along with anan in the middle, part of the reason why they progressed so far.

Then why the fuck have you got him playing almost as a striker in that line-up?

I don't care what you say that team is batshit mental.

We don't have Annan, though. We have Smith.

Our lack of holding midfielder makes it imperative that we play 2 box-to-box/central midfielders in either a flat 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Sure if have an athletic, discipline holding player you can start to place more attack minded players further up the pitch, but that formation would just never ever work with out personel.