NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

OK.  Well then.

In our current predicament we lack a holding midfielder of sufficient quality.  Therefore, especially in the opening game of the season, we need to make sure that the people operating in midfield are well covered defensively.

Personally I'd opt for a flat 4 in midfield.  The result would be almost like operating with 2 banks of 4 defenders when not in possession.  I would also employ two forwards to ensure that there would be constant pressure on the opposition defence.  At the moment I'd favour Carroll and Best as they offer the best aerial threat and I think that's where we'd get the most joy.  We'd have to attack through counters and play with sufficient speed and a directness - opting for as many direct cross into the box as possible.  The problem is ensuring that Barton and Guthrie are disciplined enough to play almost as holding midfielders.

Jonas Guthrie Barton Taylor is probably our best bet at present (purely from a defensive balance).  If we have some room and a bit of freedom than I would use Rutledge as opposed to Taylor.

Yes, we do lack a holding midfielder though.  It's bad.

:rolleyes:

Well thanks for the lesson in tactics was really worth reading that.

I know i'd rather have the line-up of my midfield with KPB dropping back into the a central position when we loose the ball.

We could easily play the 4-2-3-1 formation with HBA and KPB in the team. Guthrie and Barton are capable of playing some sumptuous balls forward and with quality like Ben Arfa, Boateng and Jonas further up field Carroll would get a bagful.

What team do you know that plays 2 wingers and 2 attacking midfielders in the same team?

The strain that line-up places on Guthrie/Barton is absolutely insane man :lol:

Did you even watch KPB in the world cup?

When Ghana lost the ball he dropped back central and was tenacious along with anan in the middle, part of the reason why they progressed so far.

Then why the fuck have you got him playing almost as a striker in that line-up?

I don't care what you say that team is batshit mental.

Hardly mental if we are playing effectively 5 across the midfied when we don't have the ball, but with KPB pushes forward to support Carroll when we do.

KPB plays nowhere near as deep as you're making out though. He's very much an attacking midfielder.

It would have made slightly more sense if you'd posted a 4-4-1-1 with KPB alongside Barton/Guthrie rather than making it look utterly barmy.

KPB plays nowhere near as deep as you're making out though. He's very much an attacking midfielder.

It would have made slightly more sense if you'd posted a 4-4-1-1 with KPB alongside Barton/Guthrie rather than making it look utterly barmy.

lol

He was playing pretty much as a 2nd striker supporting gyan on the break and dropping back into centre midfield when defending

You couldn't keep that up on a weekly basis.

Anyway, you couldn't operate a team like that in the EPL.  Defensive suicide.

Who said you could?  That would be something you'd play at home against the lesser teams

I never stated playing it week in week out anyway.

I'm being pedantic here, but there are 3/4 comparable sides. 

1 definite lesser.

/straws

Well this dependant on us getting the 2 players suggested

Blackpool - lesser

WBA - Lesser

West Ham - Lesser

Wolves - Lesser

Wigan - Lesser

Birmingham - Maybe lesser

Think if we get quality additions we'll surprise a few people.

We could easily play the 4-2-3-1 formation with HBA and KPB in the team. Guthrie and Barton are capable of playing some sumptuous balls forward and with quality like Ben Arfa, Boateng and Jonas further up field Carroll would get a bagful.

:toke: ?

You've listed my comparable sides plus Birmingham who I feel are slightly ahead of us at present.

It's seems your glass is half-full opposed to my empty glass, which is smashed in tiny pieces all over the floor.

Blackpool are the only team I'd definitely expect you to finish above. I think West Brom will do their usual thing of playing well but not pressing home their advantage in games they're the better side in. In what way are Birmingham and West Ham lesser?

You've listed my comparable sides plus BIrmingham who I feel are slightly ahead of us at present.

It's seems your glass is half-full opposed to my empty glass, which is smashed in tiny pieces all over the floor.

Well you need to get a grip and be a bit more positive  O0

Blackpool are the only team I'd definitely expect you to finish above. I think West Brom will do their usual thing of playing well but not pressing home their advantage in games they're the better side in. In what way are Birmingham and West Ham lesser?

Lesser teams:

Everton

Just cause.

Oh yeah forgot to mention Everton in that list also  :razz:

We finished above West Brom in the relegation season and ahead of them again last season, since then they haven't improved more then us, I'd absolutely expect to finish above them (even if we didn't sign the likes of Ben Arfa).

We finished above West Brom in the relegation season and ahead of them again last season, since then they haven't improved more then us, I'd absolutely expect to finish above them (even if we didn't sign the likes of Ben Arfa).

And we finished comfortably ahead of them. West Brom, were awful defensively last year, if they perform like that in the Prem they'll be shipping shed loads. Absolutelly expecting us to finish higher than them.

We could easily play the 4-2-3-1 formation with HBA and KPB in the team. Guthrie and Barton are capable of playing some sumptuous balls forward and with quality like Ben Arfa, Boateng and Routledge further up field Carroll would get a bagful.

Agree in principle, just fixed a small detail.