NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest neesy111

It's alright though, the nice Mr Hughton recognises that we need extra bodies in, so panic over. Imagine if we'd had a threadbare squad lacking in pace, creativity and a quality forward? That would have been terrible, just terrible...

Really starting to hate hughton, talks a good game, nice chap, but really don't think he has it in regards to identifying the players we need

It's alright though, the nice Mr Hughton recognises that we need extra bodies in, so panic over. Imagine if we'd had a threadbare squad lacking in pace, creativity and a quality forward? That would have been terrible, just terrible...

Really starting to hate hughton, talks a good game, nice chap, but really don't think he has it in regards to identifying the players we need

You are blaming Hughton? Jesus wept.

He was already insane before this whole Ben Arfa thing really got started and he certanly hasnt got any better during it...

Neesy that is, not Chris.

He was already insane before this whole Ben Arfa thing really got started and he certanly hasnt got any better during it...

Neesy that is, not Chris.

:lol:

However, with a fortnight to go before the transfer window closes, Hughton remains optimistic he'll get the two or three players he needs to strengthen his squad for the Premier League.

"It's still a work in progress, but nothing I can confirm," Hughton told the Gazette.

"It's either a long two weeks, or a short two weeks. We've continually said we want to bring in, and I'm very confident we'll have bodies in by that two-week period."

:lol:

I'm beginning to wonder if Hughton is being strung along by the club and he's just passing it on.

Perch was a player on the cheap we'd already done the groundwork on months prior, Gosling was a unique case and probably identified as an easy way to make £3m in the near future and Campbell was free.

I question how much involvement he is having with these deals and supposed offers for other players.

And Ben Arfa was supposedly offered to us. It's clear as day that the club have no transfer strategy or policy. We just basically muddle from day to day hoping that something will come up on the cheap. I don't believe for a second that we have clearly identified targets or even targeted positions to strengthen.

And Ben Arfa was supposedly offered to us. It's clear as day that the club have no transfer strategy or policy. We just basically muddle from day to day hoping that something will come up on the cheap. I don't believe for a second that we have clearly identified targets or even targeted positions to strengthen.

Agreed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/chris-hughton-newcastle-premier-league

That doesn't make Hughton look too clever either

Sounds like a transfer policy to me!

Seriously though, I think one thing the club has done fairly well is identify positions we need to strengthen.

They've failed a bit on midfield (except Gosling) but that's equally because we have a number of big-name players on the books who just happen to be bad.

The other problem is that we have so many weaknesses it's impossible to address them all, unless we were willing to spend money, which we obviously aren't.

Ian, the club have still failed to fill the positions that we're most threadbare in, and have been for a long time, and that's left full back and both wings as we have one player in all three positions.  Still, having one for each position is a bit better than having no right winger at all since Milner was sold, as it only took a year and a half to fill that gap in the squad.

Ian, the club have still failed to fill the positions that we're most threadbare in, and have been for a long time, and that's left full back and both wings as we have one player in all three positions.  Still, having one for each position is a bit better than having no right winger at all since Milner was sold, as it only took a year and a half to fill that gap in the squad.

Aye, I am surprised by the LB thing, although signing a player who is prepared to be back-up to a player as young as Enrique is obviously a challenge.

But then again we were equally threadbare in other positions before we made some decent signings. With Taylor's fitness we were in need of at least 1 CB, and before the signing of Routledge we had zero right wingers.

I'm not saying we've been amazing in the transfer market, but with the low budget we've set ourselves we have managed to make some decent additions.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the window.

Aye, I am surprised by the LB thing, although signing a player who is prepared to be back-up to a player as young as Enrique is obviously a challenge.

But then again we were equally threadbare in other positions before we made some decent signings. With Taylor's fitness we were in need of at least 1 CB, and before the signing of Routledge we had zero right wingers.

I'm not saying we've been amazing in the transfer market, but with the low budget we've set ourselves we have managed to make some decent additions.

Can only imagine we'll play Perch, Simpson or Kadar out of position should the unfortunate happen.

Guest Roger Kint

Was just looking through teams squads last night when bored thinking of potential loans to cover LB and thought of Traore from Arsenal, then picked up todays paper and hes off to Benfica.....

the LB situation isn't all that. whilst i know we should be always looking for improvements wherever, with money tight i'd be looking to strengthen the first team where it desperatly needs it beforer back ups.