NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest geordienorway

A goal every 121 minutes in La Liga last season...spookily similar to Xisco's. :lol:

Yeah you probably only have to add another zero on to get Xisco's record.

Xisco had the best record in La Liga 2 years ago iirc (goals every minutes).

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There has been some speculation on rumours sites that Wheater may be joining NUFC from Boro, the deal to be done of Friday for 4m ; has anyone heard this and what would be your views if it went ahead?

These things are often way off beam, but it would seem that either Hughton does not rate the current CDs too well or that Taylor is def going. Apparently, Wheater can also play RB, so maybe there is something in it.

One thing is for certain - if Wheater joins NUFC he will win one contest straight away - ugliest player on the books and that takes some doing..! Joking aside, he is a very committed player(I use the term loosely..).

I hope not. £4m is way too much money for a player that had one good half a season, then was exposed as not being good as he was hyped when he was asked to play a full season. He's a poor man's (and ugly man's) Steven Taylor, so makes little sense to replace an out-going Steven Taylor with a player who's worse then him.

From fansfc:

Magpies close on Manchester United talent

03:30 PM 26 May, 2010

Newcastle United Football Club are said to be closing on Tom Cleverley.

The young Manchester United winger enjoyed a productive loan spell in the Championship with Watford this season, before an injury forced his return north.

Cleverley has indicated he wants to try and win a place in Sir Alex Ferguson’s plans next season, but he is unlikely to edge his way into the first team picture just yet.

The Reds boss would be prepared to let the youngster leave on another loan deal, and it is believed the Magpies are closing on a season-long temporary deal.

Chris Hughton has guided the St James Park club back to the Premier League, but with money tight, he is relying on free transfers and loan deals this summer.

From fansfc:

The young Manchester United winger enjoyed a productive loan spell in the Championship with Watford this season, before an injury forced his return north.

Cleverley has indicated he wants to try and win a place in Sir Alex Ferguson’s plans next season, but he is unlikely to edge his way into the first team picture just yet.

The Reds boss would be prepared to let the youngster leave on another loan deal, and it is believed the Magpies are closing on a season-long temporary deal.

Chris Hughton has guided the St James Park club back to the Premier League, but with money tight, he is relying on free transfers and loan deals this summer.

Would be a great acquisition imo. Just what we need in midfield.

Cleverley is an excellent player but realistically, what is the point of giving him game time when all it is doing is holding up our own youngsters like Vukic.

I have not seen much of Vukic but I have read that some top teams are interested in him. Is it worth the risk in losing a top talent at our club for the sake of moulding a top talent from a rival club knowing there isnt any chance of siging that player permanently?

No reason why it has to be one or the other - they don't play the same position. I understand your general point, but I think if it helps keep us in the Premier League then it's absolutely worth it.

Cleverley is an excellent player but realistically, what is the point of giving him game time when all it is doing is holding up our own youngsters like Vukic.

I have not seen much of Vukic but I have read that some top teams are interested in him. Is it worth the risk in losing a top talent at our club for the sake of moulding a top talent from a rival club knowing there isnt any chance of siging that player permanently?

What kind of player is Cleverley? Tbh I haven't seen much of him....is he a Carrick type? passer? or more of an attacking midfielder? any pace? etc

As far as I understand, Vuckic is like a classic number 10 type of player who plays just off the forward(s)....not sure if they occupy the same position in midfield anyway.

I do agree though...I hope we don;t sign too many players that will push Vuckic and Kadar further down the pecking order.

My main concern is that Cleverley appaears to be an attacking central midfielder, judging by his goals tally at Watford last season which seems similar to a role Vukic seems to occupy at NUFC.

We also currently have the likes of Nolan, Barton and Guthrie who are also classed as central midfielders who will mosty likely be uppermost in CHs mind to play.

I would have thought we have more important positions to fill in the side first with cover required for both full back and wing positions as well as a goalscoring forward of the smaller variety before we start to look at kids from other clubs academies where there is no `chance of signing permanently, such as Wilshire and Cleverley.

Ashley seems keen to develop our own so lets do it rather than developing others clubs kids for them.

My main concern is that Cleverley appaears to be an attacking central midfielder, judging by his goals tally at Watford last season which seems similar to a role Vukic seems to occupy at NUFC.

We also currently have the likes of Nolan, Barton and Guthrie who are also classed as central midfielders who will mosty likely be uppermost in CHs mind to play.

I would have thought we have more important positions to fill in the side first with cover required for both full back and wing positions as well as a goalscoring forward of the smaller variety before we start to look at kids from other clubs academies where there is no `chance of signing permanently, such as Wilshire and Cleverley.

Ashley seems keen to develop our own so lets do it rather than developing others clubs kids for them.

yeah, i'm all for bringing extra bodies in but i'd rather see us develop our own young 'uns too

From fansfc:

If he plays wide then he'd be an excellent addition. I'm sure he would get plenty of games if he can play across the middle.

Isn't he the one Barton went medieval on?

No that was Ousmane Dabo.

Would love to see Nedum up here, will be surprised if we pull it off but I can't see him getting much playing time at Citeh.

Cleverley looked to me like an all-rounder like Fletcher who could defend as well as attack. He'd more likely replace Nolan or Smith rather than Barton or Guthrie.

He seemed to have good pace and work rate, so would be able to move straight into the first team, which is what we need.

I think it's more about having squad depth.  Vukic isn't ready for 38 games in the Premiership, and neither is Cleverley.  But together they can share the demand.

I think it's more about having squad depth.  Vukic isn't ready for 38 games in the Premiership, and neither is Cleverley.  But together they can share the demand.

Fair point

But do we need them both?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fair point

But do we need them both?

:dowie: