NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I'd say Nolan's more a number 8 than a number 9. Give him that if Guthrie leaves and let Tiote have number 4.

I think that will be a probable outcome if Guthrie is sold this summer, which is likely

I'd say Nolan's more a number 8 than a number 9. Give him that if Guthrie leaves and let Tiote have number 4.

I think that will be a probable outcome if Guthrie is sold this summer, which is likely

It won't be the probable outcome. It isn't that Nolan will just wait for a number to get available. :lol:

He's been nr 4 for as long as I can remember and he'll keep that number.

Fucking hell, what's with the Martins bashing? Yes, he was unbearably shit at times but his goalscoring record here was 39 in 105, which is 1 in 2.6. You can't argue with that figure, really.

Fucking hell, what's with the Martins bashing? Yes, he was unbearably shit at times but his goalscoring record here was 39 in 105, which is 1 in 2.6. You can't argue with that figure, really.

Not to mention some of the rubbish that's worn the number 9 over the years (although admittedly not since squads were introduced). It's not been all Shearers and Milburns. I liked Martins anyway.

Guest BooBoo

I wasnt that bothered about him getting the 9 shirt but his lazy attitude, especially in the relegation season, make me look back on his time with little fondness.

Not to mention some of the rubbish that's worn the number 9 over the years (although admittedly not since squads were introduced). It's not been all Shearers and Milburns. I liked Martins anyway.

:thup: as did I. I've been lambasted for defending the guy on here many a time and I'll continue to defend him tbh. Everyone could see his limitations, everyone knew he was unpredictable, but at the end of the the day he scored goals at a consistent rate in the number nine shirt. Fair play to him.

When we brought Martins, he was one of the biggest attacking talents in Europe. So that justified the no 9 jersey. The problem was that he arrived at totally wrong point in time. He was very unstable as a player. Had some terrific displays ( I will never forget his goal away against Tham) but also some matches where he could miss everything.  Had  he benefited from the wisdom of Sir Bobby we could have molded him into a good player. But instead he served under some of the worst managers known to man. No wonder we didn't manage to realize Martin's potential.

Guest BooBoo

To be honest, I dont think any manager would improve Martins as a player. He had his raw ingrediants but refining him was difficult due to his innate stupidity as a footballer. People talk about players having "football brains"- put Oba's in a hazelnut and it would still rattle.

To be honest, I dont think any manager would improve Martins as a player. He had his raw ingrediants but refining him was difficult due to his innate stupidity as a footballer. People talk about players having "football brains"- put Oba's in a hazelnut and it would still rattle.

I think he looked at his best for us when he was playing in Keegan's 4-3-3.

Guest BooBoo

Yeah, he finished that season well. He may well have flourished long term in a more attacking side (like KKs 433) but when we hit the skids in 08/09 and had our backs to the wall, he was the last type of player we needed.

Yeah, he finished that season well. He may well have flourished long term in a more attacking side (like KKs 433) but when we hit the skids in 08/09 and had our backs to the wall, he was the last type of player we needed.

That penalty against Arsenal man, what a tit.

f***ing hell, what's with the Martins bashing? Yes, he was unbearably s*** at times but his goalscoring record here was 39 in 105, which is 1 in 2.6. You can't argue with that figure, really.

He gets stick because he could have been so much better. Give Michael Owen Martins' body and he'd have been the best striker about. He just had nowt upstairs. Will never forgive him for pissing that penalty against Arsenal either.

f***ing hell, what's with the Martins bashing? Yes, he was unbearably s*** at times but his goalscoring record here was 39 in 105, which is 1 in 2.6. You can't argue with that figure, really.

Calm the fuck down man. Who was talking about his ability?

Guest BooBoo

I just dont think he ever appreciated what a desperate situation we were in and was still jogging around without a care in the world as we slipped into the mire. Even his goal v Boro was a lucky shank.

I just dont think he ever appreciated what a desperate situation we were in and was still jogging around without a care in the world as we slipped into the mire. Even his goal v Boro was a lucky shank.

Tbf, he clearly wasn't fit at the end of that season.

What was stupid about giving it to Martins?

Because he's as much a no.9 player as Harper.

How's that like?

Because I'm a traditionalist. I think the no.9 should be worn by a proper centre forward.

I wouldn't give Martins the no.9 just like I wouldn't have given it to Bellamy.