NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest johnson293

Text book stuff there. Expect over the next few weeks these sort of utterings morphing into things like " we have a squad of premier league quality players" and "if we don't add to the squad I'll still be very satisfied with this group of lads."

Also expect this one, with Joey Barton and Steven Taylor hopefully having a full pre-season and returning from injury respectively....

"It's like a having two new signings"

:pow:

Do you realize that us assuming that these things will happen is actually more cliche than them actually happening at this point?

hey oldtype i paid paid particular attention to your man Cha in the first game and he's fuckin class - i too remember him as a shockingly bad forward but he appears to be the classic example of someone being moved to his natural position

did everything right, everything; his distribution, timing and positioning were great - making no mention of his strength and pace...reminded me of Seitaridis when Greece won the Euros actually, an unplayable fullback

have him at the toon in a heartbeat

Newcastle United are considering a move for Celtic's Greece striker Georgios Samaras, who is expected to be released by new manager Neil Lennon this summer. (Daily Record)

I fucking hope not. I'd rather have Shola.

Guest toonlass

Newcastle United are considering a move for Celtic's Greece striker Georgios Samaras, who is expected to be released by new manager Neil Lennon this summer. (Daily Record)

:facepalm: jeez I hope that's a pile of shite!

I assume they'd be paying us to take him off their hands

I'd rather saw my own foot off than see him in a Newcastle shirt.

Samaras is extremely gifted, but incredibly inconsistent and sometimes the most frustrating guy ever - a sort of Berbatov lite! However, he's only just turned 25 earlier this year, and it may have very well been a maturation issue. Not sure we could get better value for £1 million, when you consider his attributes i.e. his prem experience, european experience, height, pace. The main problem with Samaras is people look at him and assume he should be a leading striker, but he actually is more of a second striker who is at his best when he has a bit of freedom to roam. Could be a lot more effective playing off an Andy Carroll type. Could be a shrewd move.

Samaras is extremely gifted, but incredibly inconsistent and sometimes the most frustrating guy ever - a sort of Berbatov lite! However, he's only just turned 25 earlier this year, and it may have very well been a maturation issue. Not sure we could get better value for £1 million, when you consider his attributes i.e. his prem experience, european experience, height, pace. The main problem with Samaras is people look at him and assume he should be a leading striker, but he actually is more of a second striker who is at his best when he has a bit of freedom to roam. Could be a lot more effective playing off an Andy Carroll type. Could be a shrewd move.

I thought his main problem was being absolutely woeful infront of goal and being weak as piss despite being 6ft 4?

I thought his main problem was being absolutely woeful infront of goal and being weak as piss despite being 6ft 4?

Which is why I say he would be better off playing just off of an Andy Carroll type, and not as a target striker who is relied upon for scoring the majority of the goals.

Which is why I say he would be better off playing just off of an Andy Carroll type, and not as a target striker who is relied upon for scoring the majority of the goals.

We have plenty of strikers who don't score enough goals already though.

We have plenty of strikers who don't score enough goals already though.

I hear you ... however, if we don't have much money then I'm really not sure how we can really address that problem. Samaras would add more pace and technical ability to our forward line for sure, so I guess it would be more for the addition of those sorts of attributes more than anything. Maybe if we bought twenty strikers who score every once in a while it could work?

:undecided:

He's a winger though. We already have Jonas and Routledge, so he would probably end up being used as an impact sub

He's also got a temper. I remember seeing him push the ref in a reserve match a year or so ago

He's a winger though. We already have Jonas and Routledge, so he would probably end up being used as an impact sub

He's also got a temper. I remember seeing him push the ref in a reserve match a year or so ago

We badly need some players that aren't absolutely woeful to bring off the bench, as currently we don't have any.