NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

We missed the boat on Sturridge in January. Should have been signed on loan with a view to a permanent. Very little chance of getting him now, even if Chelsea are stupid enough to sell and persevere with their over-priced other strikers. Can't believe we let Carroll go without getting this bloke, even before anyone knew how good he could be. Why didn't we insist on Chelsea telling Bolton to f*** off and giving Sturridge to us or they wouldn't get Torres? maybe by the time we realised we could it was too late. Amateurs.

It's that easy innit.

for most clubs run properly, yes it could have been. For us...

Until the last minute we didn't know if Carroll was leaving (well apparently) Torres had been linked to Chelsea for a week while Sturridge was in advance talks with Bolton over the past few days. You've no idea if Sturridge fancied coming up here, saw Bolton a better option due to position, might have got on with Coyle, might have been promised to start every game when fit or quite simply he was that far along in a deal and nearly complete compared to an offer that had just sprung up and relied on two other players moving and agreeing terms.

But aye, just demand something and it will happen as long as you are run properly that is.

It would have been nice in hindsight, but until this last few months at Bolton Sturridge has only ever been potential, and Chelsea would have wanted us to cover his £60kpw wages, in hindsight worth it, back then, i'd have had my doubts and thought it a risky move.

We missed the boat on Sturridge in January. Should have been signed on loan with a view to a permanent. Very little chance of getting him now, even if Chelsea are stupid enough to sell and persevere with their over-priced other strikers. Can't believe we let Carroll go without getting this bloke, even before anyone knew how good he could be. Why didn't we insist on Chelsea telling Bolton to f*** off and giving Sturridge to us or they wouldn't get Torres? maybe by the time we realised we could it was too late. Amateurs.

It's that easy innit.

Until the last minute we didn't know if Carroll was leaving (well apparently) Torres had been linked to Chelsea for a week while Sturridge was in advance talks with Bolton over the past few days. You've no idea if Sturridge fancied coming up here, saw Bolton a better option due to position, might have got on with Coyle, might have been promised to start every game when fit or quite simply he was that far along in a deal and nearly complete compared to an offer that had just sprung up and relied on two other players moving and agreeing terms.

But aye, just demand something and it will happen as long as you are run properly that is.

It would have been nice in hindsight, but until this last few months at Bolton Sturridge has only ever been potential, and Chelsea would have wanted us to cover his £60kpw wages, in hindsight worth it, back then, i'd have had my doubts and thought it a risky move.

You know about as much about how advanced the Carroll deal was, how long Torres had been talking to Chelsea and how advanced any Sturridge to Bolton talks were as I do. In other words, you know next to nothing about any of it. But sure, make the case that i'm being too simplistic and that we couldn't have signed him regardless. My entire point is supposition and so is yours. Of course I can't say we could ever have signed him, but I have no problem whatsoever believing that the opportunity was there and our powers-that-be f***ed it up because they're so clueless at everything and lie constantly. If you choose to believe that it was basically an impossibility, and any other train of thought is invalid, that's your choice.

Appraisal of the player is of course based on hindsight, nobody could have predicted his impact. It's entirely typical that we appeared to make no move for this player (who could have been a brilliant partner FOR Carroll, but no let's sell him and not replace him into the bargain), and he went on to score multiple goals (some of them superb) and who knows, a top 6 place could have happened instead of trundling along with Shola and Lovenkrands scoring a goal every 3/4 games. His price will now be almost certainly way beyond what we would be prepared to pay, if he is even on our radar yet  :lol:

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

It's that easy innit.

Signing anyone is taking a chance. So is not signing anyone when all we've got for strikers are Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger. Sticking by those 4 is taking a big chance.

Besides, i thought it was out in the open now that the club had been touting Carroll around for a couple of weeks beforehand. AMPLE time to make a loan deal for a good young, available player like Sturridge.

It's that easy innit.

Signing anyone is taking a chance. So is not signing anyone when all we've got for strikers are Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger. Sticking by those 4 is taking a big chance.

Besides, i thought it was out in the open now that the club had been touting Carroll around for a couple of weeks beforehand. AMPLE time to make a loan deal for a good young, available player like Sturridge.

That rumour (about Carroll being touted around for weeks) is just as valid or believable as assuming that all deals were done and we had no time to move. Pretty much the point I was trying to make. Without a doubt, not moving for ANY striker when we had needed at least one BEFORE losing Carroll, was an incredible gamble that we could easily have paid dearly for.

I wonder whether finishing top half this season (which would constitute a huge success on our first season back, and with HBA crocked, a change of manager and Carroll sold halfway through) will end up meaning we don't spend much this summer. The gamble paid off, onto the next one.

I wonder whether finishing top half this season (which would constitute a huge success on our first season back, and with HBA crocked, a change of manager and Carroll sold halfway through) will end up meaning we don't spend much this summer. The gamble paid off, onto the next one.

I thought by selling Carroll made it more likely we'd finish lower in the table and therefore the continuous improvement promise becomes easier with less outlay needed.If we finish 10th it's harder to improve than if we finish 15th...you get me?

Belgian journo on TS bigging up Lukaku. He wants to sign for Chelsea eventually but would prefer a move to a midtable side if it meant playing regularly. The bloke named us as a great place for him :iamatwat:

£18m Mike, get Delboy owa there with a cheque ;D

It's a long shot, but we should be in there throwing the cash around and doing our best to sign him at the very least. We don't want to be stingy and miss out on another Rooney, as long as we're not stupid with wages, he should hold his resale value.

We could also try to bring his younger brother Jordan here to try to tempt him further, he's a year younger, plays at LB and apparently has been linked with Arsenal and Tottenham, although he's still in Anderlecht's youth setup. Might make a decent backup for Enrique (or his replacement) though.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8668_6904315,00.html

Toon boss looking for next Tiote

Posted 29/04/11 15:35

The Magpies head for Liverpool on Sunday with the Ivory Coast international's hugely impressive first season in the Premier League drawing to a close.

Tiote arrived at St James' Park in a bargain £3.5million switch from Dutch club FC Twente, but has made such an impact that the club moved to tie him up on a new six-and- a-half-year deal within six months after other clubs showed interest.

Pardew will hope to have the bulk of the £35million the Magpies raked in from selling striker Andy Carroll to the Reds in January, but he admits it would be difficult to match the value for money they got when they swooped for Tiote.

The manager said: "That's not easy, not for the sort of fee we paid. There are players like Cheick out there, but they are a lot more money than we paid for Cheick.

"It's difficult, but it's something that [chief scout] Graham Carr, myself and my scouting team are all on top of."

Successive draws against Manchester United and Blackpool have eased Newcastle towards securing their Premier League status, their sole aim for the current campaign.

However, while the wild spending of the past may have ended, Pardew will bring in new faces this summer while at the same time attempting to tie up the likes of skipper Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and Jose Enrique on new contracts.

He said: "Getting players over the line, whether they are players you have at the club already or new players, is one of the most difficult parts of the game, convincing players that the future here is bright, which I think it is.

"We have got a good foundation to go forward now, so attracting players shouldn't be a problem and hopefully the financial side of it, we can find.

"We are competing against Champions League teams and foreign teams - it's always difficult.

"They are not going to be done quickly, but hopefully they will be done."

Carroll's departure and the club's decision not to replace him immediately with a big money signing represented a calculated risk, and while they have managed without a player who proved so influential during the first half of the campaign, Pardew knows that gap must be plugged.

He said: "For sure, our pool of strikers needs boosting, there's no doubt about that, and that will be high on the agenda."

However, the manager was remaining coy about both the cash he will have at his disposal and the number of players he wants to bring in after holding budget talks with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias.

Asked if he was encouraged by what he heard, he replied with a smile: "Yes."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8668_6904315,00.html

Toon boss looking for next Tiote

Posted 29/04/11 15:35

The Magpies head for Liverpool on Sunday with the Ivory Coast international's hugely impressive first season in the Premier League drawing to a close.

Tiote arrived at St James' Park in a bargain £3.5million switch from Dutch club FC Twente, but has made such an impact that the club moved to tie him up on a new six-and- a-half-year deal within six months after other clubs showed interest.

Pardew will hope to have the bulk of the £35million the Magpies raked in from selling striker Andy Carroll to the Reds in January, but he admits it would be difficult to match the value for money they got when they swooped for Tiote.

The manager said: "That's not easy, not for the sort of fee we paid. There are players like Cheick out there, but they are a lot more money than we paid for Cheick.

"It's difficult, but it's something that [chief scout] Graham Carr, myself and my scouting team are all on top of."

Successive draws against Manchester United and Blackpool have eased Newcastle towards securing their Premier League status, their sole aim for the current campaign.

However, while the wild spending of the past may have ended, Pardew will bring in new faces this summer while at the same time attempting to tie up the likes of skipper Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and Jose Enrique on new contracts.

He said: "Getting players over the line, whether they are players you have at the club already or new players, is one of the most difficult parts of the game, convincing players that the future here is bright, which I think it is.

"We have got a good foundation to go forward now, so attracting players shouldn't be a problem and hopefully the financial side of it, we can find.

"We are competing against Champions League teams and foreign teams - it's always difficult.

"They are not going to be done quickly, but hopefully they will be done."

Carroll's departure and the club's decision not to replace him immediately with a big money signing represented a calculated risk, and while they have managed without a player who proved so influential during the first half of the campaign, Pardew knows that gap must be plugged.

He said: "For sure, our pool of strikers needs boosting, there's no doubt about that, and that will be high on the agenda."

However, the manager was remaining coy about both the cash he will have at his disposal and the number of players he wants to bring in after holding budget talks with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias.

Asked if he was encouraged by what he heard, he replied with a smile: "Yes."

and ?

it's not saying much is it.

If they are trying to find another 'Tiote' cheap and amazing type signing then they should be quiet if we want to land him I guess.

it's not like they are naming him is it and every other club is doing the same or is there a club out there who don't want to buy a player and for him to hopefully turn out to be much better than his original fee and terms would suggest ?

About what I expected tbh (the transfers, wouldn't be arsed to work out wages).

Does make you think what we would have spent if we hadn't sold Carroll though :lol:  :weep:

It will be guess work anyway.

Depends who leaves.

Assuming Enrique and a few of the likes of Raylor, Guthrie, Smith, Campbell, Lovenkrands, Perch, Routledge etc will go.

Honestly don't know who would take most of that lot. :lol:

Depends who leaves.

Assuming Enrique and a few of the likes of Raylor, Guthrie, Smith, Campbell, Lovenkrands, Perch, Routledge etc will go.

Honestly don't know who would take most of that lot. :lol:

I could see us going for someone like Routledge. Wide player with an ounce of pace and wouldn't be too expensive.

Yes, I know. But that's the financial level we're at.